Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Leap

Chako · 272 · 35311

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Leap
Reply #90 on: October 03, 2014, 08:26:55 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #91 on: October 03, 2014, 08:33:59 PM
I got a set of woodworking tools when I was about 8 I'd guess, but didn't get a penknife till a few years after ... so they trusted me with chisels and a saw before they would with a small folder  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline geekdadrepair

Reply #92 on: October 03, 2014, 08:50:27 PM
I bought one of these for my 6 year old for Christmas, I think it will be fine with supervision and teaching. I am a firm believer in teaching kids about dangerous things, show them to respect them. I believe it shows them you are paying attention, and removes the taboo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6!  :facepalm:

Yeppers. That's about when I got my first whittler. It was my knife, but my dad kept it in a toolbox until it was time to use it, and he watched me use it. Treating like a tool and not a toy. That's my plan as well. He's had that Crkt wooden knife for a year now, and has done well. Not trying to cause an argument either, just expressing my views on youngun' raisin' lol to each his own.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #93 on: October 03, 2014, 09:46:45 PM
Well, since this has turned into a discussion about how old a kid has to be, to handle sharp things, I thought I'd chip in...

If memory serves me correctly, I was about 6 or 7 years, when I got my first "wood-working" set. It was in a nicely made wooden-box, with cutouts for the different tools, among those a small wood-block with a piece of sanding paper and a little saw. And I still remember very well, when either the little saw or one of my dads saws, slipped on the wood and ended up chewing on either my hand or my thumb. It hurt like hell every single time and most of the time, that little accident would keep me out of the workshop for the rest of day.
But I learned from it.

I also remember alot of the times a hammer slipped up on me and banged down on my finger or knuckle instead; it gave that sort of pain that would make you hold your hand while jumping up and down, in a feeble attempt of soothing the pain.
But I learned from it.

I even remember one of the first, if not the first pocketknife I got - I even still have it. Guess I was 8 or 9 at the time. Didn't take me long to cut myself with it.
But I learned from it.

The important thing here: I've learned. I don't use a saw as much more, as I did as a kid, but when I do, I know that it's a very good idea to keep your thumbs away from the path of the saw. When I use a hammer, I'd rather use a few more hits, than smash through and risk hitting myself. When using a knife... Well, evidently I still haven't learnt that, but I have learned to exercise caution and respect, when handling a knife that is "unknown" to me.

I completely agree with Breezy12 and alot of others here; just telling your kid that knives and saws are sharp, most likely won't help them learn it. If you tell a teenager not to ride a bike without his/her hands on the handle, what are most of them gonna do? Exactly the opposite of what you told them.
Let them use the tools - under supervision, of course - and be there, if/when there's an accident. Worst case scenario: The kid will get a scar for a few years and be scared of ever using anything remotely sharp. Best case scenario: The kid will quickly learn to exercise the proper respect and caution with all sharp items the come across.

And lastly... My apologies for such a long post.  :whistle:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:35 PM
Seems I'm on my own...yet again -lol

I hate knives, don't know why?? I've never cut myself bad, yet I hate them with a passion, especially the fish filleting style :ahhh.
I think it must be the sense of imminent danger. At home if I have to move around the kitchen I always, but always hold the blade near the tip, incase someone should pass me by and I don't hear them, I'm always scared that'll I'll turn round and hurt someone...seriously guys, I'm being straight up here.

When I visit friends and they're cooking and talking at the same time, often waving their arms about as they express their feelings and emotions - my blood runs cold!!

My son recently had his 7th birthday party at his karate club, the instructor brought out a full sized samurai sword to cut the cake!! The kids loved it.....I on the other hand was just rigid to the floor!

Obviously something happened in my past at some point for me to have such a reaction, although I don't recall anything.
yet, my SAKs and MT's don't bother me at all...except the wave/charge/surge blades.
I try at all costs to do everything with either the serrated bread knife or the small paring knife but never the long pointed ones....ever.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:05:24 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #95 on: October 03, 2014, 11:56:13 PM
...because he has learned to use these tools responsibly, and he knows full well that if he doesn't use them responsibly, they will be taken away from him.

Well, can I be first in line to get whichever tools he can't handle?   :D  I'm assuming you're using the one strike rule, right?   >:D

I was nine [? maybe 8] when I believe I received my first SAK.  However, it could have actually been my paternal grandfather's knife.  Hard to say, memory being what it is...and since I was nine years old - uh, well over nine years ago!  In keeping with that theme, I therefore have no recollection as to whether I cut myself, but I probably did.  No major injuries and I didn't take any other kids out either.  It was weird what a special feeling that was - getting the first knife, but it was.  The whole idea that you could handle it in performance responsibly, but the possession of it - the ownership of it was a big deal.

Eh, so it sounds like an unoffical recall as of right now, then.  That's too bad.  I must say I'm morbidly [no pun] curious.  Still hoping to get two for the kiddie nephews.

:cheers:
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #96 on: October 04, 2014, 11:26:15 PM
I was shooting rifles by this age, started shooting pistols when I was 8. I think a six year old child who doesn't have what I have been told we now call "life challenges" can be taught to use a knife with supervision. Particularly if you first teach basic first aid and give them a box of bandaids with it.

Geekdad, go for it.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #97 on: October 05, 2014, 12:33:20 AM
My first pocketknife was an Imperial Barlow when I was seven or eight.  I was allowed to use it when supervised.  Even before that, I played around with my father's tools and knives in his workshop.  As for shooting, the first rifle that was "mine" joined my father's collection when we still lived on Long Island, so I was six or seven.  I managed to knock myself out with a scoped Mini-14 when I was five or so.  That'll teach ya about proper eye relief........  :ahhh  My father was laughing too hard to help me up after that occurred.  >:(
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline cedricada

Reply #98 on: October 05, 2014, 12:29:53 PM
knifeless fuses are great first leathermen for kids anyway

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #99 on: October 06, 2014, 01:09:05 PM
True...but they are now discontinued and getting harder each day to get.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: October 06, 2014, 08:25:35 PM

Yep, the capt'n will vouch for that  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #101 on: October 06, 2014, 09:20:27 PM

Well they were in production for a longer period of time than the Leap was. :whistle:

>:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #102 on: October 06, 2014, 10:15:32 PM

Well they were in production for a longer period of time than the Leap was. :whistle:

>:D

Yup!  :P Looks like me calling it the LM Faceplant was quite apt  :D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #103 on: October 06, 2014, 11:04:59 PM

Yup.  :(
I'm the milk man!

us Offline hydroracer65r

Reply #104 on: October 06, 2014, 11:33:40 PM
I really wanted to get one for my cousin! It would have been great if they came out with a larger range of colors also! My son on the other hand...  :-\ definitely not a great idea having pointed scissors and a saw blade. But what can you do!  :oops:
I will pay you Tuesday for a hamburger Today!

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #105 on: October 07, 2014, 05:22:22 AM
Well, I'm told by LM that it is indeed a recall.  They said that they caught something that was a safety issue and did the recall themselves.  Told that it should be out again within the month.  Perhaps that's wishful thinking or the real timeline.  You decide... :-X

My bet is that it's actually the scissors, but some of you may be right that it's the tang on the blade.  ?Who knows?  The Shadow...the Magic 8-Ball?  I dunno.   :P

us Offline hydroracer65r

Reply #106 on: October 07, 2014, 07:04:41 AM
Let's hope it's something simple!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #107 on: October 07, 2014, 07:11:20 AM
All I know is if they make a big change all those who got theirs already will likely be collector items.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #108 on: October 07, 2014, 07:15:48 AM
Well, I'm told by LM that it is indeed a recall.  They said that they caught something that was a safety issue and did the recall themselves.  Told that it should be out again within the month.  Perhaps that's wishful thinking or the real timeline.  You decide... :-X

My bet is that it's actually the scissors, but some of you may be right that it's the tang on the blade.  ?Who knows?  The Shadow...the Magic 8-Ball?  I dunno.   :P

If this is true then surely one of those with a Leap could look it over and figure out what the issue is right?  :pok:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: October 07, 2014, 07:25:38 AM

If this is true then surely one of those with a Leap could look it over and figure out what the issue is right?  :pok:

I didn't see any outright design flaws; in fact, I really like the way the locks were implemented so that fingers won't be in the way of the closing blade. My money is still on the saw being the problem.

but then again, I only have the blue and green versions, so maybe the problem is with the red version... :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #110 on: October 07, 2014, 12:04:04 PM
A couple quotes from edcforums via google.

SMKW had put them out on the shelves and LM has recalled them for a cut hazard, even without the blade

So I called Leather man to ask what's up? The lady I spoke with just said they were "unavailable". She was kinda rude in that she didn't act like she wanted to talk to me. I asked why they were unavailable and she just repeated that they "were unavailable".

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: October 07, 2014, 12:45:49 PM
I believe that last quote...something similar happened to me the last time I phoned them.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: October 07, 2014, 01:15:52 PM

I didn't see any outright design flaws; in fact, I really like the way the locks were implemented so that fingers won't be in the way of the closing blade. My money is still on the saw being the problem.

but then again, I only have the blue and green versions, so maybe the problem is with the red version... :D

Oi!! We'll have less if you don't mind :twak: :twak:

:facepalm:

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #113 on: October 07, 2014, 05:38:42 PM
All I know is if they make a big change all those who got theirs already will likely be collector items.

Wait...shhhhh!  Is that Chako I hear smiling in the background??  Or would it be sighing [yet another LM; floorboards creaking, etc, etc.].   :-\

:cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #114 on: October 07, 2014, 07:24:57 PM
 :whistle:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #115 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:28 PM
It is pretty interesting to see what they will change.   :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #116 on: October 07, 2014, 09:20:54 PM
 :popcorn:  You're right.  Should there be a raffle or something?  Numbers coming out of Vegas - ?  Just asking...

I just asked the Magic 8-Ball if the Leap will make it out before the end of the month:

"Don't Count on It"

We'll see.

:P

us Offline hydroracer65r

Reply #117 on: October 07, 2014, 10:18:58 PM
I heard it will be around the end of October, to the middle of November!  ???

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #118 on: October 10, 2014, 10:21:15 PM
Saw the Leap in store, looks a bit like a Juice and Wingman combined.
Leatherman

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #119 on: October 11, 2014, 12:33:47 AM
Saw the Leap in store, looks a bit like a Juice and Wingman combined.

In store...in Canada??  I thought LM had some major failing/problem in selling to Canada period, no?

Anyway, did you buy it eh?   :D

:whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%