Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Leap

Chako · 272 · 35226

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Leatherman Leap
Reply #150 on: November 14, 2014, 12:57:46 PM
I wonder if on the new one they'll replace that saw with a file or something...  :think:
SAW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #151 on: November 14, 2014, 01:44:10 PM
Thanks Ashley.

Yes, waiting for the new changes...whatever they may be, is a bit of a nail biter for me.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline RobJones

Reply #152 on: November 14, 2014, 02:30:13 PM
I dont think it has been cancelled, someone asked leatherman on their facebook page the other day when it will be released, and they said next week it will be shipped here in australia

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #153 on: November 15, 2014, 12:23:16 AM
I'm not doing much on here currently, but I did call LM today.  Thinking fantasy-land-like that they'd tell me the Leap is available -- and did I want them to ship it next day [nephew's 8th b-day] for free.   :dd:   :rofl:

So, uh - no.  They're now talking end of month/early December.  'Hoping' is the word she used.

At any rate, 'hoping' I can get it to him for X-Mas.  He and another nephew [well - I have until April for him].  I'm assuming [rightly, I think] that they'll have it done by April, right?   :D

:cheers:
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #154 on: November 15, 2014, 12:24:53 AM
That sounds like a major change rather then some small revision.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #155 on: November 15, 2014, 12:49:24 AM
Thats a bummer, but it makes me all the more curious about what's getting changed....  :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #156 on: November 15, 2014, 12:33:52 PM
thats a big time bummer, christmas is looking less and less likely !  :(
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #157 on: November 15, 2014, 03:52:40 PM
it's not like the Leap was out for very long before they were recalled, so I wonder what could have turned up in that time that couldn't have been found out before they were released?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #158 on: November 15, 2014, 03:55:54 PM
Well the only major thing on this tool vs the others is that installable blade system.  Someone probably cut themselves installing or trying to uninstall it.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #159 on: November 15, 2014, 04:45:20 PM
I agree. I quickly found out that the blade protector was very easy to disengage from the blade.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #160 on: November 15, 2014, 04:48:47 PM
You know what might be a smarter system?  Have the blade installed normally, but have some retaining pin or something that holds it in so that it cant be opened until the pin is removed.  There are a few ways I can think of implementing that so that its kid proof but an adult could remove it.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #161 on: November 15, 2014, 07:12:24 PM
You know what might be a smarter system?  Have the blade installed normally, but have some retaining pin or something that holds it in so that it cant be opened until the pin is removed.  There are a few ways I can think of implementing that so that its kid proof but an adult could remove it.
:tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #162 on: November 15, 2014, 07:33:33 PM
Good idea, syph. It could be as simple as a screw that goes through the blade, bolting it to the metal underframe. Use a torx head screw, something like that. Simple, and pretty darn kid-proof.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #163 on: November 15, 2014, 07:43:54 PM
Good idea, syph. It could be as simple as a screw that goes through the blade, bolting it to the metal underframe. Use a torx head screw, something like that. Simple, and pretty darn kid-proof.

Exactly, I was thinking of a set screw, and just include a simple L shaped key to remove.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #164 on: November 15, 2014, 09:34:30 PM
The "problem" of a disabled blade might be, that it still has a blade, so still a no go in school, camp etc...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: November 15, 2014, 10:04:57 PM
I'm baffled as to why leatherman even built the Leap in the first place. They celebrated their 30th anniversary not long ago, 30yrs at the top is pretty good, why they thought they needed to launch this is a mystery. There are far more technically challenging ideas and concepts they could have concentrated on without venturing into the kiddie market.

From the likes of the Genus and the MUT to the leap I think that's ass backwards personally.

It's the type of half baked idea you'd expect from China or Taiwan
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:28:13 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #166 on: November 15, 2014, 10:42:06 PM
I'm baffled as to why leatherman even built the Leap in the first place. They celebrated their 30th anniversary not long ago, 30yrs at the top is pretty good, why they thought they needed to launch this is a mystery. There are far more technically challenging ideas and concepts they could have concentrated on without venturing into the kiddie market.

From the likes of the Genus and the MUT to the leap I think that's ass backwards personally.

While I do not typically agree with the Leap or many of Leathermans decisions in the last year or so I do see why they would market a tool towards kids. First off every kid wants a Leatherman like daddy, but they normally do not get them at a younger age due to fear of the kids not handling them safely or properly. The Leap would address this. On top of that it is getting the kids familiar with the Leatherman name and tools so when they grow up they will want to buy Leatherman products. Almost like the cigarette companies do to children with advertising. Get to the kids young and brain wash them into buying your product. Lastly I would hope they genuinely care about kids and want them to have a tool to be able to call their own and learn to use a tool and blade safely.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #167 on: November 15, 2014, 11:41:05 PM

While I do not typically agree with the Leap or many of Leathermans decisions in the last year or so I do see why they would market a tool towards kids. First off every kid wants a Leatherman like daddy, but they normally do not get them at a younger age due to fear of the kids not handling them safely or properly. The Leap would address this. On top of that it is getting the kids familiar with the Leatherman name and tools so when they grow up they will want to buy Leatherman products. Almost like the cigarette companies do to children with advertising. Get to the kids young and brain wash them into buying your product. Lastly I would hope they genuinely care about kids and want them to have a tool to be able to call their own and learn to use a tool and blade safely.

Capt'n I'm agreeing with you, it seems to be the logical assumption for the leap.
But why make them look so toy like, with the coloured plastic handles, if leatherman are serious with the kiddie concept then would it not be better to make it not look like a toy. If kids are to learn anything about knives its imperritive they know they are certainly not toys. I'm not turning this into an argument I'm merely typing as it comes into my head. Both Victorinox and Wenger have rolled out the junior SAKs, but they kept the standard SAK like appearance but rounded off the blade, whereas leatherman have done the exact opposite made it look  like a toy but kept the pointed blade.

As a first knife I know which one I'd choose to give to a child.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:43:11 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #168 on: November 15, 2014, 11:47:26 PM

Capt'n I'm agreeing with you, it seems to be the logical assumption for the leap.
But why make them look so toy like, with the coloured plastic handles, if leatherman are serious with the kiddie concept then would it not be better to make it not look like a toy. If kids are to learn anything about knives its imperritive they know they are certainly not toys. I'm not turning this into an argument I'm merely typing as it comes into my head. Both Victorinox and Wenger have rolled out the junior SAKs, but they kept the standard SAK like appearance but rounded off the blade, whereas leatherman have done the exact opposite made it look  like a toy but kept the pointed blade.

I know what you mean and completely agree with you.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

Offline kalans

Reply #169 on: November 16, 2014, 12:29:03 AM
I would love to snag one for my kid, but in many years we may having something better :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #170 on: November 16, 2014, 07:19:30 PM
I'm with Tosh, they made it look like a toy entirely.  My son is already very interested in my leatherman tools, and wants one.  He knows what they are, and that they can cut him badly if he treats them like a toy.  His first will most likely be a juice or something down the line, and I will round the blade off myself.  I want him to respect his tool, and keep it away from his little sister, who would take one look at the leap and think it WAS a toy. 

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #171 on: November 16, 2014, 07:23:51 PM

I know what you mean and completely agree with you.  :tu:

well, as someone who is looking to buy one of these for my daughter, one of the attractions is the smaller size for her hands - regarding the look of it as a toy, well, she knows it is a knife/saw/sharp implement and that it can bite her accordingly if she is not careful. And the colours are part of the attraction for her, as opposed to a tool such as the squirt which is what i was originally going to get her until we discovered the leap (and this forum :) )

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #172 on: November 16, 2014, 07:26:58 PM
Welcome to MTO!
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #173 on: November 16, 2014, 07:30:58 PM

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #174 on: November 21, 2014, 09:34:58 AM

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #175 on: November 21, 2014, 11:50:39 AM
:facepalm: :rofl:

:twak: I'm sure they can do better than that.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #176 on: November 21, 2014, 12:32:26 PM
I refer to my previous question. How did they only notice this in the month it was on sale, when they had what looked like pretty complete prototypes at the SHOT show which could have been tested all year.

Hazard:

The lock mechanism on the optional knife blade can inadvertently release the blade, posing a laceration hazard.

Remedy

Consumers should not install the optional knife blade or should immediately stop using the multi-tool with the installed optional knife. Consumers should contact Leatherman for a free replacement multi-tool, including shipping. 

So it's a problem that occurs once the knife is installed in the tool.
Can someone that's got a Leap have a look at the lock and see how it all goes together? Is there something obviously wrong?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #177 on: November 21, 2014, 12:59:01 PM
Nothing obvious...which would explain how they got out into the wilds before the recall.

I suspect someone somewhere reported they were able to remove the blade once it was installed.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #178 on: November 21, 2014, 02:50:18 PM
The blade lock can release the blade.  Does that mean let the blade close into the tool, or does the blade fall out off the tool?

Sounds like they probably mean the blade closes and the lock mech fails, but thats pretty sad that wasnt caught in testing.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #179 on: November 23, 2014, 08:51:29 PM
so Guys, anyone have any info on when/whether we'll see any anytime soon ? the middle of november has been and gone :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD