Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Leap

Chako · 272 · 35246

us Offline Jand3rson86

Re: Leatherman Leap
Reply #210 on: December 09, 2014, 07:03:19 AM
According to Leatherman the Leap is for sale now - any of the online retailers i've checked don't seem to have it in immediate stock - ie, shipping 4 to 7 days etc. Has anyone actually seen one for sale since they re-released it ?

I know they have them in stock at the retail store in Portland, Oregon.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #211 on: December 13, 2014, 01:53:05 PM
ok, her leap is on the way :)
still looking for a sheath, the best so far is what enki suggested, a juice sheath - size looks ok, but i'm wondering how secure it is ? It looks like a slide on clip that secures the sheath to a belt rather then a belt loop ? Anyone who has the juice sheath any opinion on how secure it would be on a belt ?
thanks guys :)

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #212 on: December 13, 2014, 05:09:52 PM
I had a juice sheath. I didn't like the belt clip, as opposed to a belt loop, but that was my opinion. Maybe others found the juice sheath perfectly acceptable.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #213 on: December 13, 2014, 05:26:47 PM
thanks Lynn, thats my thinking, especially for a child, it could easily get knocked off her belt without her noticing. Now, it would also be secured with a lanyard but even so ...

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #214 on: December 16, 2014, 06:11:01 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #215 on: December 17, 2014, 04:02:29 AM
I've held several of them in my hands and fiddled with all of the parts, they're really pretty cool.  And to be honest, if you want a pocket tool with a little color, they aren't like overly-"kiddie".  They still feel perfectly solid.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #216 on: December 17, 2014, 04:08:16 AM
I've held several of them in my hands and fiddled with all of the parts, they're really pretty cool.  And to be honest, if you want a pocket tool with a little color, they aren't like overly-"kiddie".  They still feel perfectly solid.

What is your opinion on the Wingman/Sidekick?

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #217 on: December 17, 2014, 04:20:56 AM

Ummmm, ...why?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #218 on: December 17, 2014, 04:23:05 AM

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #219 on: December 17, 2014, 04:25:50 AM
I don't own either one personally yet, so I can't make a fair real-world comparison of them.  I only know from handling them out of inventory (random auditing/spot checks before shipping them out).

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #220 on: December 17, 2014, 04:39:59 AM
I don't own either one personally yet, so I can't make a fair real-world comparison of them.  I only know from handling them out of inventory (random auditing/spot checks before shipping them out).

I asked for an opinion, not comparison.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:42:10 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #221 on: December 17, 2014, 04:43:55 AM

Angry lobster?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #222 on: December 17, 2014, 05:47:31 AM

Again... I don't really have enough hands-on experience with them to form much of an opinion yet. 

Why are you so interested in my opinion of the two lower-end tools of the product line?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:51:39 AM by Jand3rson86 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #223 on: December 17, 2014, 06:33:30 AM

Again... I don't really have enough hands-on experience with them to form much of an opinion yet. 

Why are you so interested in my opinion of the two lower-end tools of the product line?

Because unlike myself you work for Leatherman and have handled the tools, Jand3rson86 2: zoidberg 0.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #224 on: December 17, 2014, 06:35:08 AM

Angry lobster?

Not at all. I didn't mean to come across harsh.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #225 on: December 17, 2014, 12:53:23 PM
Just because he works for Leatherman does not mean he is rolling in MTs all day long.  :think:

My opinion on the matter. if you are needing something, the Wingman and Sidekick are better multi-tools compared to the Leap. The Leap feels rather plasticky and is indeed small. My largish paws had a difficult time unlocking the tools via the front locking tabs.  No such issues with the Wingman and Sidekick.

Now if you want something to supplant the Juice lineup, then the Leap could be that multi-tool...but that depends on how much you hate the Juice.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #226 on: December 17, 2014, 01:11:39 PM
My largish paws had a difficult time unlocking the tools via the front locking tabs.
:pok:  "the first Leatherman multi-tool created specifically for younger users."

:D  :D  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #227 on: December 17, 2014, 01:12:48 PM
 :salute:  :)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #228 on: December 17, 2014, 06:35:05 PM
But Chako is still young at HEART.

Why are you crushing his dreams, dks? WHY?!?!  :rofl:

I'm still waiting for the holiday insanity to pass, and then maybe I'll look into one in green.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #229 on: December 17, 2014, 06:44:23 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #230 on: December 17, 2014, 07:11:36 PM
My opinion on the matter. if you are needing something, the Wingman and Sidekick are better multi-tools compared to the Leap. The Leap feels rather plasticky and is indeed small. My largish paws had a difficult time unlocking the tools via the front locking tabs.  No such issues with the Wingman and Sidekick.

Now if you want something to supplant the Juice lineup, then the Leap could be that multi-tool...but that depends on how much you hate the Juice.

I agree with you on most of this, Chako, especially when you consider the price points of the Sidekick/Wingman vs. Leap. :salute:

I wouldn't necessarily say I had a difficult time unlocking the tools on the Leap, but the operation was certainly more complicated than the traditional liner lock on the Wingman/Sidekick. or maybe it's because I've used a liner lock so much in the past that the familiarity comes into play? :think:

I'll still end up getting a couple for my sons. as dks pointed out, they are designed for kids, and I can definitely see how they'd be more useful in smaller hands.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #231 on: December 18, 2014, 02:59:16 AM
The Leap fits kid's hand a lot better than the Wingman and Sidekick. For adults...not so much. :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #232 on: December 21, 2014, 08:06:19 AM
I can't stand the wingman and sidekick, they are inferior tools and they aren't cheap enough for me to consider them a better option in any way.  The Rebar is only around $50 pretty much anywhere around me, and for just ten bucks cheaper I think the sidekick is a ripoff. 

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #233 on: December 21, 2014, 08:21:29 AM
I can't stand the wingman and sidekick, they are inferior tools and they aren't cheap enough for me to consider them a better option in any way.  The Rebar is only around $50 pretty much anywhere around me, and for just ten bucks cheaper I think the sidekick is a ripoff.

I respect your opinion and somewhat agree but a Sidekick can be had for $18 right now. At that price I think its a good tool. I personally would not pay much more than that for one though.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #234 on: December 21, 2014, 07:54:29 PM

I respect your opinion and somewhat agree but a Sidekick can be had for $18 right now. At that price I think its a good tool. I personally would not pay much more than that for one though.

Oh yea, for $18 I would buy one, because that's about how much I think it's worth.  I was shopping in sportsmans the other day and saw a Rebar for $54 and a Sidekick right below it for $45.  Terrible pricing!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #235 on: December 21, 2014, 09:50:48 PM
When the rebar was released at MEC in canada it was $40 CAD which was the best value tool ove ever seen.  I wish i would have  bought more than one.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #236 on: December 22, 2014, 05:28:08 PM
finally, my daughters leap has arrived :) i'd post pictures but i'd imagine it looks like any other leap, so i'll wait til after she gets it and maybe some action shots instead.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #237 on: December 22, 2014, 05:34:25 PM
I guess totally off topic, or maybe I didn't read everything (ok, I didn't), but I do prefer the Juice sheath because it's with a clip and not a loop :D I find it a lot easier to remove from your belt together with the sheath when there's a clip. When I change in the evening, for example... anyway :X

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #238 on: December 22, 2014, 06:28:21 PM
I guess totally off topic, or maybe I didn't read everything (ok, I didn't), but I do prefer the Juice sheath because it's with a clip and not a loop :D I find it a lot easier to remove from your belt together with the sheath when there's a clip. When I change in the evening, for example... anyway :X

no, totally on topic, i was asking about sheaths for the leap - the juice sheath was suggested and I went to buy one off ebay and i wasn't allowed as i was apparently trying to circumvent knife laws  ??? ???  ::) anyway it was very late and i couldn't be arsed arguing with my computer so I don't remember the exact message that came up - but so far, the juice sheath seems the best for the leap. must go looking again :)

my main concern is how secure the belt clip would be on a young child though.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #239 on: December 23, 2014, 09:42:00 PM
More info:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!