Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Leap

Chako · 272 · 34550

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Leatherman Leap
on: September 19, 2014, 01:40:33 AM
I received a nice package today from the Cutlery Shoppe. Inside the package...the 3 Leatherman Leaps that I had ordered.

Each package contained a clear plastic bag that contained the Leap and the blade exchanger, and a nice paper user's guide.

My first impression...man this multi-tool is small. Not sure why I thought it would be larger with the target audience being children. I sure was taken slightly back looking at this diminutive multi-tool. The blade comes in a protective plastic sheath in the same colour as the multi-tool ordered.

The tool is roughly 8 cm long. Yeah, this is a small tool.

Think Juice size and you wouldn't be far off. Here it is in my hand.

My second impression...I actually like the plastic feel of the handles. Once I started exploring the tool further, I was a bit taken aback at the scissors. I was surprised and a bit dismayed that the scissors are sharp and pointy. I figured this being geared towards children, they would have designed a more kid friendly rounded pair of scissors. Why go all PC with the blade when you are arming your little ones with something equally as dangerous.

The pliers are nice and what I would expect on a Leatherman.

Except for the dangerous scissors design, everything looked well designed, right down to the child sized nail nicks that my larger fingernails had some trouble negotiating. For its intended audience, I feel this is ok. For adults who may intend to EDC this, you have two options, get used to it or get ride of it.

The colours are nice and bright. Downright cheerful some might say.

The locking mechanism is a bit fiddly at that. I tend to not read the manual and try to figure things out on my own. I locked the scissors and couldn't figure out the locking mechanis until a few minutes had ticked by and I noticed the indents on the handles. Doh! Those aren't just for decoration.  :facepalm: :D

I did find them to be somewhat stiff. Like the nail nicks, they aren't exactly designed for larger fingers.

One side of the Leap is mostly covered. There is an empty slot for the addition of the blade.

At one of the the Leap, you have a nice large lanyard hole. Likewise, you also have a few tools that fold away. I was surprised at the tweezers much like the Micra. It is nice to see Leatherman adding some of their older design cues into the much newer Leap.

The blade comes packaged in a plastic safety carrier. On the underside, are these instructions.

On the top side, you can see that the blade is safely nestled away in its carrier.

Conclusion:

So some of you may be wondering what I make of the Leap. Well I have mentioned in several threads that I have always seen the Leap like a Gerber. Having them in my hand hasn't dissuaded me from that viewpoint. It feels and looks like something Gerber would have cooked up. Knowing that it is a Leatherman, only incites me to excitement. If I like anything, it is always the odd and bizzar multi-tool design. I am happy to state that the Leap fits that bill on several points.

I know this won't be for everyone, but the handle material feels good to me. It isn't stainless steel, but that would be cold and heavy for the intended user. Likewise, I like the many nice little touches that Leatherman has included. The one glaring thing that I find shocking...seeing that this must have passed through a group of people, is the pointy scissors. It doesn't make sense to me that they didn't round off the scissors. I mean, as a school teacher, I am familiar with the multitude of rounded tip safety scissors. That Leatherman didn't round the tips is a bit shocking to me...and could be a deal breaker for the safety conscious parents out there.

If nothing else, they sure are bright and cheerful.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:42:55 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Leatherman Leap
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:52:31 AM
Excellent write up and pictures.  :tu:

The picture of the Leap in your hand really shows the size and I do not know why, but I was not expecting it to be that small either.

The pointy scissors and saw make me think. If they are really going for a kid friendly "safe" tool you would think they would have rounded the scissors and had a metal/wood file instead of the saw. Leaving the option of adding a saw or blade.

It just seems not well thought out. I cannot see why it would not be well thought out since they probably spend quite a bit of money and time developing tools, but I would love to hear a explanation on why they decided on these features.  :think:

With the pointy scissors and saw I would rather just buy my kid a proper multitool.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:12:17 AM
Thanks for the in depth look at the leap, man it's small or you have really big paws. :)

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 02:13:04 AM
Thanks for the pictorial and your thoughts. :cheers:

Could you maybe take a few pics of it next to a Juice?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 02:24:48 AM
That I can do...give me a second.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:33:20 AM
Here is it next to a Juice Xe6.

The pliers are not as dainty on the Leap...but almost the same size.

As far as thickness goes...fairly close to the burly Juice Xe6.

Hope that helps.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:53:21 AM
Nice Chako thanks for the photos.
Do you think the handles can be paint black?
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:53:34 AM
Thanks. :salute:

So I was right after all in my thoughts on their patent almost exactly a year ago. :D

Leatherman filed for a patent on a new tool, the LEAP.

Here's the description:
Multi-function hand tools comprised of any combination of pliers, wire cutter, knife, saw, scissors, screwdrivers, tweezers, a ruler, and a lanyard ring.

Anyone have any more info on it?

Or care to guess what it might be?

I'm thinking something pocket sized, maybe the size of the Juice series. They haven't done much in that size in years and the tool loadout described above would make an interesting addition to that size. :salute: Also I can't imagine them adding tweezers to a full sized tool or a saw to a keychain sized one. :D

More info here:

http://www.trademarkia.com/leap-86023325.html

And now we know how long it takes them from parent to store shelf. ;)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 03:00:36 AM
The plier head looks pretty close to the ones on the Wingman and Sidekick, though it looks like the Leap has bypass cutters.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 03:01:12 AM
It is plastic. I suppose it could...however, no telling how durable the finish might be.  :think:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 03:07:11 AM
I'm glad you like it too Dan. Magnificent tool :tu:
SAW

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 05:17:58 AM
That's pretty small but thick. I also question the inclusion of a saw for a kid's tool, and also second the pointy scissors problem. Nonetheless,  it looks like an interesting step for Leatherman to make.

Nice pictures,  Dan.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 05:36:07 AM
That's pretty small but thick.

:whistle:...................

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 05:40:54 AM
Oh gosh.  :twak:  :D

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 05:47:26 AM
Hahahahahahahaha sorry it's late >:D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 02:26:32 PM
Oh gosh.  :twak:  :D

Someone ANL as you should've known better...

:whistle: :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 02:28:12 PM
I received a nice package today from the Cutlery Shoppe. Inside the package...the 3 Leatherman Leaps that I had ordered.

My first impression...man this multi-tool is small. Not sure why I thought it would be larger with the target audience being children. I sure was taken slightly back looking at this diminutive multi-tool. The blade comes in a protective plastic sheath in the same colour as the multi-tool ordered.

Think Juice size and you wouldn't be far off. Here it is in my hand.

My, what big hands you have...
 :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 04:55:52 PM
Seeing it makes me really want to get one for my son for Christmas.  Thanks for the pics and writeup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 05:19:32 PM
I am waiting for them to release the special "bad boy edition" of leap, with sling shot, hidden cig lighter etc.

I could really use one like that, going back 30 years.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 06:04:40 PM
@Chako,

You love buying in bulk :D And I love your pictures :D Thanks for showing :salute:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:38 PM

I am waiting for them to release the special "bad boy edition" of leap, with sling shot, hidden cig lighter etc.

I could really use one like that, going back 30 years.

That's funny ! Can't forget the hidden stash container .

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 10:53:11 PM
Sweet! I like it, and this photo review really has me wanting one for pocket carry. Also, wishing my kids were a little older :)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 10:27:58 PM
Thanks for good pictures and write up. :salute: I also imagined it bigger somehow.
I will eventually have to get one to see for myself.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:07 AM
Nice write up!  :tu:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 06:22:01 AM
thanks for the great writeup and excellent pics, Chako! :cheers:

I think both my boys might be getting one for Christmas this year. :D although Dad might have to dig through his parts stash and replace the saw blades with something else... :think:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 09:14:35 AM
Matt, can you mod me the special bad boy edition LEAP with Cigar Cutter, lighter , cork screw & sling shot?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:10:39 AM by Kampfer »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 10:01:26 AM
All welcome.

I am still taken aback at the size of the tool, and those pointy scissors. The saw oddly enough does not bother me much. Not sure why. I am sure if I was going to gift this to a 6 year old, I would worry about the continued health of all wooden furniture in the house...I mean, I can remember how I was at 6. :D

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 06:03:53 PM
All welcome.

I am still taken aback at the size of the tool, and those pointy scissors. The saw oddly enough does not bother me much. Not sure why. I am sure if I was going to gift this to a 6 year old, I would worry about the continued health of all wooden furniture in the house...I mean, I can remember how I was at 6. :D

that's EXACTLY what I'm worried about! ;)

Matt, can you mod me the special bad boy edition LEAP with Cigar Cutter, lighter , cork screw & sling shot?

I'll see what I can do, Kampfer... :rofl:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 06:19:25 PM
The saw concerns me more than any other tool.  If its as sharp as other LM saws it can do much more damage than scissors or the non pointed knife.  Take a the saw or the blade to flesh and tell me which cuts look worse.

I'll get my son one later on but will probably replace the saw with something else.  Or blunt it and call it the fish scaler.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 08:35:55 PM
The scissors are the kicker for me.  Not only am I worried about my 6 year old cutting himself, but I also have a 2 year old running around and my son tends to forget to put his stuff up.  My wife took one look at the leap in this thread and said "Absolutely not". 

It's just not done right.  It's kind of a half assed effort, more of a gimmick than a practical tool for it's intended usage and audience.  If a kid is old enough and mature enough to handle a saw, then a blade shouldn't be a concern.  They don't seem to outline the age group it's aimed at, but I would say more like an 8 year old than a 6 year old.   And I agree with you Dan, it totally looks more like something Gerber would put out.  I would like to handle one myself, but I won't give one to my kid.

I am going to wait a bit longer and give my son a SAK like my dad gave me when I was 6.

When he proves he can handle that, I'll just move him on to a real Leatherman, probably a kick/fuse/blast if I can find him one.  Hopefully he will take to them like I did.  When I was 10 I had an 8 inch bowie knife on my hip and a gerber folding saw in my cargo pocket, and I terrorized the woods around my house building forts and stuff.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%