Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Very poor customer service

BASguy · 76 · 4979

us Offline BASguy

Very poor customer service
on: September 19, 2014, 03:11:21 AM
Sadly, I was recently disappointed by Leatherman in a very big way.  I've been a huge fan for years, and own over a dozen of their tools. 
I have an original wave that I sent in for warranty work as the pliers were loose and "rattly".  The tool was date coded 0201 and was with me to see service in NYC in the aftermath of 9/11. 
I checked the appropriate box indicating to repair/return as sentimental.  I also posted a note as to why.
When my tool returned, I could tell immediately that it was not the wave I sent in.  A quick check revealed an 2006 date code.  I thought they had sent the wrong tool and immediately contacted them.  I reached a very nice lady who took all my info and stated she'd get with the warranty department the next day and someone would get back with me.  The following day, the same lady called me back and explained that they "destroy" the handles on a plier repair.  She stated she had worked there for over 20 years and did not know that... Are you kidding me?
Needless to say, I am crushed beyond words.  I should have known better than to send it in as it's not an EDC tool.  It's service earned it an early retirement.  I just felt it was due a little TLC before I passed it on to my grandson.  Too be honest, I'm heartbroken about it.  It sounds stupid to be attached to a tool, but it was involved in some significant work that was a life altering experience.
I sent an email to Leatherman several days ago to express my feelings, and to date have had no response.  In the past I've always gotten quick responses from them re:warranty questions, etc.
Very, very disappointed, shocked, and dismayed. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Very poor customer service
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:15:55 AM
I am sorry to hear that.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:16:43 AM
 :-[
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:33:43 AM
sad to hear that,   :cry:
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 04:07:59 AM
The tool comes apart though why would they need to destroy the handles.  That makes no sense.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline BASguy

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 04:21:36 AM
That's exactly my thought......

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 04:25:08 AM
My BS alarm just went off loud and clear.

The tool was sent in as a "sentimental" and then they say they destroy handles to repair pliers - double fault by LM. 

If they couldn't repair it they should have just sent it back.  I smell mistake/s followed by cover-up - but I hope I'm wrong  ???

If you don't hear from LM soonish then it might be worth a follow-up with a phone call to a person a bit higher up in the food chain.  Even if you don't get your tool back it might encourage them to take better care in the future and save someone else from losing a cherished MT.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:27:36 AM
I have no word other than I'm sorry this happened to you. 

I like what Gregozedobe suggested and would probably follow that course of action.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 04:38:18 AM
I am really sorry to hear about this.  :(

I would be VERY pissed off and would raise all sorts of hell. I would call back and ask for a supervisor and see what they say happened. It might not be the same answer they have already given you. Keep us posted.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 04:41:46 AM
I just sent another email requesting that they return my old handles.  I will take your advise and call them again tomorrow.  That's probably a good idea.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 05:41:30 AM
I just sent my black oxide Rebar aka little boy in for repairs and I marked it sentimental.

I hate hearing smurf like this sorry to read it  s2mason

Now I'm paranoid I'm not going to get little boy back  :facepalm:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 11:05:15 AM
So they sent you a new model Wave to replace your original Wave? That's unfortunate, Leatherman's customer service and warranty work is usually top notch.

Hope they can find your original tool and get it back to you.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 11:37:48 AM
Wow, I am a little stunned. I have always had good dealings with Leathermans warranty department. I guess everybody has their bad days, maybe it was just a mistake. But it still sucks for you. :(
darren

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 03:25:29 PM
sadly this isn't the first time something like that has happened
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 03:29:49 PM
LM is running a SLOPeration
SAW

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 04:45:22 PM
I would be livid :rant:
To the point of expressing my anger on youtube.
The very fact that is was declared sentimental - yet they then go trash the handles!!

If I'm honest, I'm not that surprised.
I've never had repair work done by leatherman, though I have by victorinox and wasn't impressed in the slightest.

There have been one or two comments here on the forum lately that leatherman no longer seem to be the company it once supposedly was.

Hope you get some real answers from them.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:29:12 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

hr Offline styx

Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 04:59:40 PM
expressing anger on youtube wouldn't help. the flock mentality and lack of real discussion just produce flame wars
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline sawman

Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 05:14:25 PM
Instead, someone should start a bonfire fueled by LM's and kerosene.

Bring on the destruction !!!
SAW

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 07:24:33 PM
Or perhaps just wait and see if a reply comes from LM, I'm pretty sure they stop by here from time to time and would be mortified to find out they had destroyed something with such sentimental and national significance  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 09:20:39 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. If they did that to me I would be devastated. 

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 10:20:59 PM
Unfortunately their service department doesn't "see" these tools as something of a sentimental use. You sent them a rattly OG Wave and they sent you a new model Wave - something they pretty much do as a matter of course these days.

Their service dept doesn't fix old Waves anymore as they're not easy to fix on the fly and quickly, and require a bit of fiddling and time.
Rather, they cut their losses and send you a new one.

This is the reason I won't be sending my 'floppy clunker' old OG Wave and will try anything to fix the tool on my own, with tools I have in the garage.

It's disappointing but that's what it is.  :(
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline sawman

Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 10:23:49 PM
This is why my OG Wave will remain a shelf-queen and never be used. It's in perfect order right now and I intend for it to stay that way.
SAW

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 01:01:16 AM
wow.. that's really bad..
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:54:08 AM by shamus »

us Offline BASguy

Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 02:15:40 AM
All, in review of some of the comments I should clarify that they did not send me a new wave.  They sent me a 2006 handle set with plier head.  Not new.
Now, I called them this morning and the gentlemen I talked to later forwarded me an email from the warranty dept manager explaining it would be impossible to find my handles.  They expressed their sincere apologies.  The gentlemen followed that email up,with an offer to allow me to use his Friends and Family discount on the purchase of a new tool.  I appreciate his kind consideration as obviously this came from him personally.  Leatherman made no other offers of any sort, short of their offer of condolences re: the history of the tool......

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 05:08:19 AM
All, in review of some of the comments I should clarify that they did not send me a new wave.  They sent me a 2006 handle set with plier head.  Not new.
Now, I called them this morning and the gentlemen I talked to later forwarded me an email from the warranty dept manager explaining it would be impossible to find my handles.  They expressed their sincere apologies.  The gentlemen followed that email up,with an offer to allow me to use his Friends and Family discount on the purchase of a new tool.  I appreciate his kind consideration as obviously this came from him personally.  Leatherman made no other offers of any sort, short of their offer of condolences re: the history of the tool......

Well that sucks.

While it is very nice of him to offer the friends and family discount I see it like this. Let me offer you a discount off the MSRP price which is well over actual price you will find them for to make the company money that just screwed you over. If you plan on buying any more Leathermans then I would possibly take him up on the offer if it was worth it. Did he say how much the discount was?

I would go higher up in the chain if I were you. Your tool is long gone now, but I would still go higher to express your dissatisfaction with their mistake.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:11:27 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 09:04:12 AM
Sorry to hear about this :facepalm:

Living where I am, I probably never get the chance to experience either Vic or LM service quality.  But what I think LM service department failed to recognize is that something 'sentimental' may mean the 'value' of the tool could be higher than the tool itself. 

What gregozedobe said make sense, or at least have the courtesy to send email or put it on hold, instead of 'destroying' anything(which I think it is unavoidable to read as BS cover up). 

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 07:45:19 AM

Well that sucks.

While it is very nice of him to offer the friends and family discount I see it like this. Let me offer you a discount off the MSRP price which is well over actual price you will find them for to make the company money that just screwed you over. If you plan on buying any more Leathermans then I would possibly take him up on the offer if it was worth it. Did he say how much the discount was?

I would go higher up in the chain if I were you. Your tool is long gone now, but I would still go higher to express your dissatisfaction with their mistake.

first of all, I am very sorry to hear that this happened to your OG Wave, Scott. :(

however, I'm going to have to disagree with the Captain on this one... the issue has already been escalated to the manager of the warranty department. the error has been acknowledged -- either someone just didn't notice that "sentimental" was marked on the form, or it was a newbie in the department who didn't know what was going on?

The company and the people in the warranty department have acknowledged the error, apologized, and offered a new tool at a significant discount in addition to the refurbished Wave that was already sent. (sending refurbished tools as warranty replacement is a standard operating procedure for non-sentimental tools.) what good is going to come from making more of a fuss over this?

us Offline BASguy

Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 06:49:25 PM
"Leatherman" offered nothing other than condolences.  A Leatherman employee offered his own F&F discount out of kindness and generosity, and perhaps out of some embarrassment for the response given by his employer.  I realize that my tool will not be returned because of their egregious error, however their response to the situation was entirely inadequate.  Nothing can replace that tool, but as a manager I would have offered my customer a tool, any tool, of their choice.  Honestly, the more I think about this, the madder I get about their response to the situation.  Saying sorry and expecting a customer to accept that along with an refurb substitute is not an acceptable response. 

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:58 PM
Honestly, the more I think about this, the madder I get about their response to the situation.

I think you just need to take a deep breath and relax, life's too short to fret over things like these.  8)

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 12:17:32 AM
"Leatherman" offered nothing other than condolences.  A Leatherman employee offered his own F&F discount out of kindness and generosity, and perhaps out of some embarrassment for the response given by his employer.  I realize that my tool will not be returned because of their egregious error, however their response to the situation was entirely inadequate.  Nothing can replace that tool, but as a manager I would have offered my customer a tool, any tool, of their choice.  Honestly, the more I think about this, the madder I get about their response to the situation.  Saying sorry and expecting a customer to accept that along with an refurb substitute is not an acceptable response. 

This. Leatherman as a company basically said "we screwed up, but tough luck."

The company and the people in the warranty department have acknowledged the error, apologized, and offered a new tool at a significant discount in addition to the refurbished Wave that was already sent. (sending refurbished tools as warranty replacement is a standard operating procedure for non-sentimental tools.) what good is going to come from making more of a fuss over this?

I see it much differently. We do not even know what the discount actually is. Even if they give him 40% off of the MSRP he could still find better deals online so it would be like he did not even get a discount. It is also putting more money in their pocket offering him the "discount".

Like s2mason said I would of offered up a free tool of their choice. In the long run you keep your customer happy and they will buy more from your company. If you screw them then they will not forget it and some people will get over it and others will never buy their product again. Simple as that.

This is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. It does not mean anyone is right or wrong.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD