Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone have a Midnite Manager?

Quartz · 18 · 4390

Offline Quartz

Anyone have a Midnite Manager?
on: September 20, 2014, 04:51:48 AM
What do you think? Worth buying? Known problems? Are the scales super thick? If someone can post side-by-side pics comparing it to a AA battery that would be awesome.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone have a Midnite Manager?
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:13:58 AM
probably my favorite of the 58mm line.  It has all the tools you need and nothing you dont and even has a pen.  The light is very bright and I bought a 3 pack of batteries for about 10 dollars.

it is a bit thinner than my minichampII.  About 10mm thick

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:16:37 AM
I have one, but prefer the regular Manager.  The light on my Midnight Manager is so weak that its virtually useless.  You might be able to find a keyhole with it, but that's pushing it.  Maybe newer MM's are brighter.  Mine has the red LED and I have at least 2 brain cells that remember that maybe they use a slightly brighter LED now. 

I just prefer the regular Manager as you retain the tweezer and lose the light, and then I carry a separate light.  I can't help you with the width, but they are about the same, and neither is what I would call thick.  Definitely wider than a Classic, but not what I would call wide.  The Manager is my EDC.  Rock on.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:18:45 AM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:47:58 AM
I have one, but prefer the regular Manager.  The light on my Midnight Manager is so weak that its virtually useless.  You might be able to find a keyhole with it, but that's pushing it.  Maybe newer MM's are brighter.  Mine has the red LED and I have at least 2 brain cells that remember that maybe they use a slightly brighter LED now. 

I just prefer the regular Manager as you retain the tweezer and lose the light, and then I carry a separate light.  I can't help you with the width, but they are about the same, and neither is what I would call thick.  Definitely wider than a Classic, but not what I would call wide.  The Manager is my EDC.  Rock on.

I have the white LED and it is way brighter than the spartan light

Offline Quartz

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 06:22:52 AM
I bought a 3 pack of batteries for about 10 dollars.

Oh yeah, what type of batteries does it use anyway? And how much are replacement ink cartridges?

Mine has the red LED and I have at least 2 brain cells that remember that maybe they use a slightly brighter LED now.

According to the wiki, the current white light is brighter than the old red one. I'm not really expecting something like this to let me walk around in the woods at night though, getting my keys in the door is all I'm looking for.

au Offline archerwin

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 06:34:24 AM
it's the best all-around 58mm key chainer. The White LED is really bright considering its size.  The battery lasts long as well. Mine is still going strong after 2 years++

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:44:01 AM
Battery type: 389 - SR1130W Silver 1.55 V 0% Hg
Battery type for Classic models with the old-style battery cover: CR1025, 3V

Not very easy to find and quite expensive (I paid 3-4 Euros for one), but it could be far worse.- by the way, be carefull how you hold it.. had it in my pocket and slept on the button.. whole battery drained in a night  :facepalm:... normally it should last you a couple of years with average use.

Pens you can replace easily from their shop, or I heard you can just cut a regular pen shaft and put it in instead.. but that won't happen often.. have it for a year now with moderate use... I'm expecting another 2-3 years out of this pen...

And yes I have the white one and it's quite good, better than a fauxton... it can help you check a pipe, a hole, get you up the stairs if the lights fail and even get you home if you get lost at the beach during nighttime (yap, that was a creepy evening  :facepalm: )
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:18:51 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 07:18:22 AM
IMO it's the best all around SAK. Everything you need and nothing you don't. I carried one as my sole blade and it never let me down.
The pen is super convenient. The white LED is more than adequate for finding your way through a dark home, and the rambler tool set is near perfect.

All in all if you don't own one you should go buy one...like right now. You life is a little bit lesser if you don't have one. I wouldn't leave my house with out mine...ever!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:20:37 AM by Fattsgalore »

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 07:59:22 PM
Best bet $$-wise, is to ebay the battery #. You'll often find a ten-cells-for-$1-shipped, or similar, from some place far away.
I think I have every thickness of 58mm Vic, from 3 components/blades, through eight. I prefer the extra-chunky myself. Hard to imagine that anything just 58mm long would cause any problems on a keychain, regardless of thickness.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 08:05:11 PM

+1  :tu:

Standard tweezer toting Manager for me too. A permanant resident on my keys, and with me whatever else I decide to carry an any given day. Beats any other keychain tool for capability vs size/weight IMHO

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Sorel

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 08:35:17 PM
Does the Midnite Manager have a nail-cleaning tip? I have the Midnite Manager and love it. Love the light, love the nail file, love it all.

Offline Quartz

Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 08:52:19 PM
No, but it wouldn't be all that hard to turn the SD tip into one with a little grinding and polishing. Nail cleaner tips don't have to be all that precise a shape, so there's a lot of margin.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 02:11:50 AM
Midnite Manager vs AA ... :D

>:D

:o

8)

:tu:

:gimme:

Offline Quartz

Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 02:33:01 AM

Oh awesome, thanks! Those are exactly the sort of pictures I was hoping for.

So it's more or less about as wide as it is thick, which is what I thought. I assume that would make it easier to use the screwdrivers, does it make it awkward to use the scissors? What about as a pen? (I feel like the thickness combined with the offset pen tip might be weird)

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 12:02:43 AM

So it's more or less about as wide as it is thick, which is what I thought. I assume that would make it easier to use the screwdrivers, does it make it awkward to use the scissors? What about as a pen? (I feel like the thickness combined with the offset pen tip might be weird)

You're welcome  :salute:
There's no awkward use of SAK tools :facepalm:
there's only the awkward situation not having one at hand ... scissors included  >:D
Pen works great, of course with nail file support or, even better, with ruler/schrewdriver+cuticle pusher support on Midnite Minichamp  :D

Adding only 2mm in thickness you get the best key chain companion out there:

:gimme:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 08:49:06 AM

The pen is always going to be more awkward to use than a dedicated one, but it works good enough if you extend the nail file. Wouldn't want to write a whole lot at a time with it, though.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 11:30:35 PM
I really dislike the Midnite Manager, I much prefer my Manager or Ramber.

To me the SAK lights are all horrible and a waste of time - I have an emergency light on my cellphone and I also carry a 1 x AAA flashlight on the same keyring as my Manager and another 1 x AAA flashlight on the keyring my Rambler lives on.
Both of these AAA lights are multi-mode (3 levels on the one that shares a keyring with the Rambler and 4 levels on the one that is with my Manager).  My 1 x AAA lights are able to put out a quite impressive amount of light on high and are also able to run for many hours on low, they are so much more useful than any light that you would find on a SAK.

I just can't see that there is any reason that I would want to have a crappy light on any SAK, I'd rather have the toothpick or pretty much anything else other than the light.

Of course not everyone feels the same way, but for me there is a reason why I've never purchased any 'Lite' models.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 11:47:19 PM
I just started carrying one for the 30 day Minimal Carry Challenge. I'm actually surprised at how good the light is. Although I miss the toothpick, there are some advantages to the scale light:
- Its very small
- You can write in the dark
- I have not done it but I will see about rotating the scales, so I have light for my combo-tool
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%