Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rambler with nail cleaner?

Corwyn · 11 · 1669

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Rambler with nail cleaner?
on: September 20, 2014, 07:55:34 AM
I want to turn my Signature Lite into a Midnight Manager and I'm looking for Rambler/Manager/Midnight Manager innards.
I ran into a situation... it seems all the ones I see have SD tips on the nailfile (and I use the nail cleaner a lot).

Were there Ramblers with nail cleaner even created? And if so, do you know where I can find one?

If not I'd have to go with either a MiniChamp (expensive, thick, with a lot of junk) or a Rogue (straight SD on cap lifter - by the way do you think that Rogue SD would work on a computer-case Philips too?).

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: Rambler with nail cleaner?
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:23:23 AM
Can't you use the screwdriver tip or the blade tip for nail cleaning? That's what I do.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:15:49 PM
Can't you use the screwdriver tip or the blade tip for nail cleaning? That's what I do.

Tried, but not happy with the results. It doesn't dig deep enough and bends my soft nails. The awl and blade work better, but they scratch the nail.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:42 PM
Well, answered myself to that... there was never a Rambler/Manager with nailcleaner, and SD works very good on regular computer Philips.

So, I'll buy a Rogue and turn it into a (what should I call it guys?):
  • Roguener Lite
  • Midnite Rogue
  • Manarogue Lite
  • Signarogue Lite

Offline jrp316

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:20:18 PM

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:03:14 PM
Drifter is not an option. Not only is it painfully hard to find, but to my knowledge it was only made in Alox, so no way to put in light and pen...

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 07:47:05 PM
If you are needing nail-caring functions, take a look at the Vic Cavalier(discontinued, but seen on ebay), and the 65mm Wenger with the nail-clipper.

Offline Quartz

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 08:49:08 PM
I posted a related question a week or so ago. Looks like Vic has replaced the nail cleaner with the SD tip across the line except for a few select models.

Questions:
- Is cannibalizing an Edelweiss or something and building a custom model yourself not an option? It's super easy.
- Failing that, why not just buy an actual Midnite Manager and grind/polish the SD tip down into a nail tip?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 09:12:30 PM
I want an edc and Cavalier and 580 aren't the best for that. I will get an 580 Nail Clipper Delemont, as soon as they are available here, but to be kept at home.

Yeah I have a couple of older Classics without SD lying around, but it's a bit of a shame to upgrade from SD to Classic when I could add a sexy combo tool in the same time.

I guess I could grind the SD, but I'm atrociously bad with powertools... not only I'd destroy the sak, I'd probably litter the carpet with pieces of my fingers  :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:15:25 PM by Corwyn »

Offline Quartz

Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
The nice thing about a nail cleaner though is that the exact shape isn't all that important, so you have a lot of room for error.

Offline jrp316

Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:06:44 AM
Drifter is not an option. Not only is it painfully hard to find, but to my knowledge it was only made in Alox, so no way to put in light and pen...

A MiniChamp 2 might also be a good option to consider. You're right in that Drifters were only made in alox officially.

If you're up to modding though, a Drifter covers the bases and provides the SD ruler, nail cleaner/file and a backup blade. Fit it with the pen/light scales that you want and you're off to the races. Either one will give you Phillips and flat head SDs along with the nail cleaner. Here's my EDC Drifter (I call it the Midnight Drifter):

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%