Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

An appreciation for Leatherman Molle XL Sheath

babola · 12 · 9145

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
An appreciation for Leatherman Molle XL Sheath
on: September 21, 2014, 12:05:28 AM
While patiently waiting my Skinth XL to come for my toolkit centered around the LM Surge to use around the home and garage, I've been looking for an appropriate sheath for my second tool set to have handy at work or a car. 

This was going to be a set based on LM ST300, LM Croc wrench and ST300 hex bit set. My eyes were fixated on a Skinth L Shield but then I realized I have had a "Skinth on a budget" with me all along in a form of a great and underrated LM Molle XL sheath. It's large, sturdy, rugged, it will stand up to some serious beating - and it pack quite a lot!

The LM Molle XL sheath is light years ahead of anything else Molle-like Leatherman makes these days, and what a nice $15 'tactical' pouch it is.

The sheath with its internal and external compartments is very unassuming on first glance, but dig a little deeper and you'll be pleasantly surprised with not less than 6 usable pockets and compartments.

Anyway, off to the photos.  :)

Cheers.

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: An appreciation for Leatherman Molle XL Sheath
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:25:42 AM
wow, that's really cool... I had no idea that sheath was so versatile! :o

I have the "regular" LM Molle sheath, and to say it was a disappointment would be an understatement. :( only two pockets (main compartment + bit card slot in the back), and I didn't like the way it rode on my belt.

looks like the XL version is definitely a step up!

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:10:50 AM
Can this be carried horizontal on a belt like the regular molle sheath?

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:00 AM
wow, that's really cool... I had no idea that sheath was so versatile! :o

I have the "regular" LM Molle sheath, and to say it was a disappointment would be an understatement. :( only two pockets (main compartment + bit card slot in the back), and I didn't like the way it rode on my belt.

looks like the XL version is definitely a step up!

True, all other Molle sheaths from Leatherman are like poor cousins to the XL model. It looks as they outsourced  the production of the MUT sheath to a completely different contractor or different LM design team.

BTW I also own one of the Made in USA medium 4" Molle sheaths that came with my OHT and that one is actually the worst of the whole lot...even those basic and standard Wave/Surge 4" Molle sheaths are better than this one :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:20:27 AM by babola »

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:17:40 AM
Can this be carried horizontal on a belt like the regular molle sheath?

It can but it will be a little tight fit, depending on the width of your belt.  Cheers.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:40:25 AM
Neat.

I hope it holds up
Defend the Hive!!!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:50:16 AM
Neat.

I hope it holds up

Should be alright, I've been wearing the XL sheath in slightly different config for some 6 months now, no issues so far. LM used here 1000D Cordura and the stitching is top notch on this model.

The only bit I was a bit weary about was the side elastic strips holding the Space pen and the flashlight but they didn't give in and there's no extra play whatsoever as they're made of very thick and sturdy elastic material. 

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:56:06 AM
Keep us posted how it works for you.

I've been wearing a leather sheath that came with the Surge I've been using and it's working out very well. I have a skinith xl that fits the Surge but for now the leatherman factory sheath is working out so good there's no reason to change.

Defend the Hive!!!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 10:13:49 AM
Keep us posted how it works for you.

I've been wearing a leather sheath that came with the Surge I've been using and it's working out very well. I have a skinith xl that fits the Surge but for now the leatherman factory sheath is working out so good there's no reason to change.

No probs, will do. I doubt however it will see the level of wear and beating comparable to the one you give your tools and sheaths on daily basis  :D

BTW, I also have the premium leather sheath I carry my BO Surge in, it's one of the nicest ones made by LM you can own today. But the space and expandability is limited on that one.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:35:45 PM
I like this one a lot. :tu:

And it looks like it holds all the tools snugly. My main gripe with most of the sheaths LM makes nowadays is that they are way to big for tools they are supposed to be made for. ::)

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 11:02:39 PM

And it looks like it holds all the tools snugly. My main gripe with most of the sheaths LM makes nowadays is that they are way to big for tools they are supposed to be made for. ::)

I agree with you on this one, Nikola. my best guess is that maybe they got some feedback that people wanted the sheaths to be a bit bigger so they could fit more accessories in there? :think: but then they took it too far and made the sheaths TOO big. I don't like any of the new sheaths because I'm afraid of my MT falling out. :(

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 01:09:32 AM

I agree with you on this one, Nikola. my best guess is that maybe they got some feedback that people wanted the sheaths to be a bit bigger so they could fit more accessories in there? :think: but then they took it too far and made the sheaths TOO big. I don't like any of the new sheaths because I'm afraid of my MT falling out. :(

Oh yes...and one of the biggest offenders are the stock standard medium Molle sheaths. They come with tools like Rebar, Wave etc. but there's enough space inside to host not one but TWO tools side by side. And when you close the Velcro flap it overhangs at the bottom so much it's ridiculous.

Even those basic nylon Velcro sheaths can be too roomy for what they're intended to carry inside.

However there are some of the current LM sheaths that make just a perfect snug fit...some combos that spring to mind are premium leather sheath which comes with the Surge, rectangular basic black leather sheath which comes with the ST300, the Molle XL for MUT, Surge, ST300 and Crunch.

Those are the ones I really like, other's I couldn't care much for.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD