Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fake Ka-Bar USMC knife.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Fake Ka-Bar USMC knife.
on: September 21, 2014, 01:35:09 PM
Curiosity raised its head once again, and I found myself buying a what I thought might be a fake Ka-Bar (but could have been a real one) at a local pawn shop. They had about a dozen of these boxed along with 2 on display. When I looked at it, I knew I would take one home. I didn't pay much for it, but I do dislike fake products that try to fool the unknowledgeable...and that person was me. See,, this fake was a good one, and I truthfully didn't know what a real one should look like. My only warning was the low price. I figured for that price, it was a fake. At the same time, I thought just maybe it might be real. That didn't stop me from acquiring one however. I have said before, I do enjoy a good fake. A quick look online told me straight away it was a fake. I ended up buying one of the displays as all the other boxed ones had mold growing on their sheaths. No thank you!

As far as copies go, this knife is made with a real leather sheath. The handle is nice and comfortable. I do love these leather washer type handles on a knife. The blade is solid with no movement. I am positive the steel is inferior to the real thing, and I am sure this is the real let down with this copy. The leather is real and the knife feels real...but the steel I am guessing, would be the place they tried to save money. Otherwise, if one didn't know, the knife actually feels of good quality. Craftsmanship is very acceptable...not something I would associate with a copy to be honest. I am sure the hidden stuff is where the corners were cut with this knife.

After looking online, I could tell right away there are a few things missing on this copy. The sheath does not have the Ka-Bar logo stamped onto the top part. The knife itself doesn't have any markings on the ricasso. Also the hand guard is thicker and straighter compared to the original.

You know, I had to order a real one off of eBay to compare them once it comes in.

Even as a copy, it is still a beautiful looking knife.

Real leather...and that is what threw me off at first. I was thinking a copy would come in pleather or something of its ilk. Guess not.

Note the straight and thick hand guard and no markings on the ricasso at all on either side.

No mater what, I still like the look of leather washer type handles.

This being my first time handling a Ka-Bar facsimile, I am impressed with the size, weight, and comfort inherent of this design.

I presume this is the tang visible from the handle butt. Of course, this being a copy, who knows.

Now I can't wait to compare this to a real one. Seeing that I tend to collect hunting knives and survival knives, I am going to categorize this into the hunting knife section. Not that far of a stretch I guess.  :D  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:54:49 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Fake Ka-Bar USMC knife.
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:46:49 PM
I does look well made, doesn't it!

I've had a play with a couple of originals and I was surprised with just how light they were, for some reason it'd always looked like a heavy knife to me, but not so at all. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:56:41 PM
I am thinking this one might be a little heavier, seeing the hand guard is thicker. Won't know till I get my original copy in my paws however. :D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:46:45 PM
Given the lack of the KA-BAR name on the product, I think it would be correctly categorized as a clone or copy rather than a fake.  While fakes are almost invariably of poor quality, copies or clones may be of good quality.  No brand or maker's marks of any kind on this one would definitely make me question its quality, however.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:39:03 PM
I have a late 60's kabar and love it. If you want a big knife get this one! Here's the only picture I have of it on my phone

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:06 PM
Good point nate j.

I guess my definition of such is broader than yours. I do like your thinking on the matter however, and will have to revise how I think about such tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69