Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Introducing: Toolslinger's SurCharge

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Introducing: Toolslinger's SurCharge
on: September 22, 2014, 07:22:21 PM
Now, I'm no stranger to modding and customizing things. Been doing it since before I knew what it meant. That being said, most of the things I mod are done for personal use and tend to never be displayed or shown off. This time, I decided I should post some pics and brief write up of my latest Leatherman modification.

So without further ado, I give you the SurCharge! :multi: But you can just call him Sir. ;)

This is my take on the ReCharge and Mini Surge.

First, why did I do this? Well, I had been itching for a Charge XTi and I wanted to go full pocket carry with minimal extras. I like the Wave, but I like the Titanium Charges more as my very first LM was a Charge XTi. Love that tool and still own it (retired as a shelf Queen). The new Surge was just too darned big and needed tons of accessories to work right. So, it made sense to combine the best of all worlds (for me, YMMV).

I started with a new model Charge TTi and stripped it down. I removed the blade locks as they would interfere with interior and exterior tool loads. I went so far as to completely remove the mechanism (not just snapping off the excess) and added a new rivet to tighten up the locks.

I then proceeded to steal an extra large bit driver from a parts/beater Wave, a Rebar plier head and the Scissors from my friends Wingman (the only tool on it he doesn't use).

I had to do some minor grinding (with a small, round hand file) to enlarge the pivot on the scissors to fit the Charge plier pivots. Taking it slow and checking progress often is key. After getting the pivot enlarged, minor stock removal on the lock face was required to get it to snap into place and lock up solidly. Again, slow and steady, check often.

After getting the scissors to lock up, I rebuilt the plier end of the tool. I ditched the serrated gut hook blade and placed the saw in it's place. This gave me saw, file, S30V PE blade and scissors all accessible from the outside. The Rebar plier head dropped in with no mods as expected.

The only modification I had to make to the saw, was to remove a tiny bit of metal on the lock face to get it to lock up. The detent doesn't matter on this tool as the scale and pivot tension is more than adequate to hold it in the tool yet still allow for easy deployment with the friction of my thumb pad. I had to add some extra bronze washers (total of 3 on scale side and 2 on frame side) to get it to fit space-wise with the Charge scales.

Moving on to the lower end of the tool, I ditched the hidden lanyard loop to allow for a pair of tweezers to slide in to the butt of the handle or to hold the mini driver should I choose. I went with a Charge XTi load-out with the only tweak being to replace the small bit driver with the long narrow flat driver from the ReBar. All in all, I had two large bit drivers, the long flat driver and the can-opener/multi-use tool.

Add the pocket clip and adjust pivot tension and voila! the SurCharge is born.

Here is how I look at it from a tool perspective.

Tools:
Pliers with replaceable cutters and crimper - the best LM plier head for a 4" tool. The cutters are amazing and the pliers functional superbly for my needs.
PE blade - S30V and OHO means I don't carry a dedicated folder. I like this as it's one less thing to carry and with it clipped in my front pocket, it's basically a multi-use folder anyway.
Saw - comes in handy occasionally and is a nice to have. I took it over the serrated blade to show it could be done and because I rarely ever use the serrated blade.
File - must have on any tool load I carry. I love the versatility of the diamond/wood metal combo. I can clean up fingernails with one side and deburr metal with the other. Why not detachable like the mini-surge? I prefer to have it in the tool and have never needed it to touch up a blade where being detached would help. I usually have access to something on which I can sharpen my blades or am not far from somewhere that does. Considering how often I've needed to sharpen in the field (hint: zero) having it attached means I'm less likely to lose or forget it.
Scissors: another must have tool for me. Precision cutting, people friendly and versatile.
Dual bit drivers: This means that I can carry my two most common bits (Robertson 1/2 and Philips 1/2) and still have my most commonly needed flat driver. No extra bits in pocket. The only other one I would carry is the 4mm/5mm hex for adjusting IKEA type furniture and I'd carry it installed in the driver extension and dropped in a pocket. Now I don't need a sheath or bit card.
Long flat driver: my most used flat driver size and it has reach. Much more useful than a small bit driver to me.
Can open/multi-use tool: lots I can do with this and I happen to prefer the can opener to the Vic one (I know, blasphemy right?). The wire stripper notch has multiple uses and by slightly sharpening the hook, I can cut things with it.

Now, I know you're probably wondering where my Awl is at. I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed an Awl and still have all 5 fingers left. So it was a no brainer to leave out. Plus I would have had to do a lot of grinding to get it to fit with two bit drivers. Just wasn't interested.
IMG_3230.JPG
* IMG_3230.JPG (Filesize: 296.25 KB)
IMG_3232.JPG
* IMG_3232.JPG (Filesize: 304.41 KB)
IMG_3234.JPG
* IMG_3234.JPG (Filesize: 95.94 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Introducing: Toolslinger's SurCharge
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:32:21 PM
 :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:33:46 PM
Great! :tu:
SAW

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:39:52 PM
You can always sharpen the can opner a bit to use as box opener and awl.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:14:30 PM
That's really nice :tu:  I would love for my ReCharge TTi to have scissors on the outside like that.  I would probably put them in place of the serrated blade though.  I guess I'd just put an awl in place of the regular Charge scissors inside.  Not really sure what else would work there :think:  Well, maybe ditch the bit driver and replace it with a regular phillips, and put a small/medium sized flathead in place of the scissors.  Oh man, now I've got ideas >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:40:05 PM
Nice mod!!!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:30:33 PM
nice work, Toolslinger! :cheers: love the name for it, too. ;)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:32:23 PM
Very nice.  :tu:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:28 PM
That's really nice :tu:  I would love for my ReCharge TTi to have scissors on the outside like that.  I would probably put them in place of the serrated blade though.  I guess I'd just put an awl in place of the regular Charge scissors inside.  Not really sure what else would work there :think:  Well, maybe ditch the bit driver and replace it with a regular phillips, and put a small/medium sized flathead in place of the scissors.  Oh man, now I've got ideas >:D

The way the Wingman scissors are constructed (lever layer) would limit them to being placed in the file or saw slots. If you want to keep file and saw, it's fairly easy to swap one of them into the knife slot like I did. Vic scissors might work but I'm not sure of their thickness relative to the blade...

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:34:18 PM
You can always sharpen the can opner a bit to use as box opener and awl.

It is slightly sharpened. Not enough to be considered a blade, probably closer to an awl. I mostly use it as a scraper though.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 09:35:30 PM
nice work, Toolslinger! :cheers: love the name for it, too. ;)

Thanks! Kind of popped into my head while I was assembling it. Fortuitous I'd say :D.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:37:06 PM

The way the Wingman scissors are constructed (lever layer) would limit them to being placed in the file or saw slots. If you want to keep file and saw, it's fairly easy to swap one of them into the knife slot like I did. Vic scissors might work but I'm not sure of their thickness relative to the blade...

Ah, thanks for the info man :salute:  I would likely just have one of them put in the serrated blade's spot then. 
K-Tibbs

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:16:23 PM
Well done and hats off to you for putting a great tool together.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:36:36 PM
Very nice!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 01:29:41 AM
Very nice job there buddy.  :cheers:

I would love to upgrade to those newer handle slabs, they look mint.  :)

So can I have the serrated gut hook blade?  :pok:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 01:53:34 AM
Sweet name and great load out.  I'm really like that name :tu:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:05:42 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 02:03:34 AM
Thanks everyone for all the props! Gotta love this place.

@zoidberg I'm keeping the blade ;) probably gonna swap it back in place of the saw. I can get a nice 111mm SAK with awl and saw, but I'm not a big fan of serrated Vic blades (plus no guthook).

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 02:06:21 AM

@zoidberg I'm keeping the blade ;) probably gonna swap it back in place of the saw. I can get a nice 111mm SAK with awl and saw, but I'm not a big fan of serrated Vic blades (plus no guthook).

Yeah the gut hook rules.  :tu:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 07:24:06 AM

I asked him about it too via PM. ;) those blades are great, they're just hard to come by.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 08:14:48 AM

I asked him about it too via PM. ;) those blades are great, they're just hard to come by.

Great minds think alike eh.  :D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 09:04:10 AM

:tu:

Great minds think alike eh.  :D
They are good.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 07:54:01 PM
Update: I swapped the guthook blade in place of the saw. I picked up a great deal on an OD Vic Hunter with a nice 111mm saw :tu:.

Now I have an awl, saw, mini serrated hook blade, corkscrew, mini-driver and a better bottle opener (combo tool, I'll still use the LM for cans as I like it better).

I've attached a shot of my current setup. Need to get updated hero shots of the SurCharge.
IMG_3273.JPG
* IMG_3273.JPG (Filesize: 144.42 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 08:16:44 PM
I like it!  :drool:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 08:52:13 PM
I like it!  :drool:

Thanks Kampfer!

I decided I'm going to try keeping my setup as light/compact as possible and try to keep everything formatted so it will fit in my jean pockets.

Currently, the SAK and organizer are left front with the SAK hanging on the outside seam and the SurCharge is right front clipped where I'd normally carry a folder.

I'm thinking this may be pretty close to perfect for what I normally need.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 10:45:18 PM
Update: I swapped the guthook blade in place of the saw. I picked up a great deal on an OD Vic Hunter with a nice 111mm saw :tu:.

Now I have an awl, saw, mini serrated hook blade, corkscrew, mini-driver and a better bottle opener (combo tool, I'll still use the LM for cans as I like it better).

I've attached a shot of my current setup. Need to get updated hero shots of the SurCharge.

nice loadout, Toolslinger! I really like your choices. :salute: sounds like you've got all your bases covered, and I completely agree that the combo tool is a better bottle opener while the LM can opener is better for cans. :tu:

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 10:46:14 AM
Very nice mod, some solid forward thinking and steady hand with an eye for detail... :tu: you're a rare beast these days with all things instant and half of the population on anti-ADHD meds.

Cheers!
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 04:32:59 PM
Update: SurCharge is in a sheath. I tore the pocket clip off it (well mostly bent to around 90 degrees) on a random protruding bulkhead on the bus yesterday. :facepalm: Thankfully, the tool remained in my pocket and was not damaged in the incident.

I bent the clip back, but I'm not convinced it's the way to go (seems looser now).

Now I carry the SurCharge and P2 in belt sheath and keep the lighter and Hunter in the pocket. Since I'm not carrying a bit card behind the tool (standard LM nylon sheath) it carries slim on the belt.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 12:49:54 AM
Did the clip bend 90° and back without breaking? Where was the bend at? What did you use to bend it with?

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 03:25:06 AM
Did the clip bend 90° and back without breaking? Where was the bend at? What did you use to bend it with?

The clip bent where it protrudes from the tool (top of the clip as seen when it is in the pocket). I bent it back with my hands and a pair of pliers to hold the short end. It did not break (this time) but I am hesitant to trust my MT to that clip now.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 03:41:44 AM

The clip bent where it protrudes from the tool (top of the clip as seen when it is in the pocket). I bent it back with my hands and a pair of pliers to hold the short end. It did not break (this time) but I am hesitant to trust my MT to that clip now.

I've always wanted to reshape the clip but thought it would probably break bending it twice.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%