Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

FLIK question

JBW1 · 8 · 1456

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
FLIK question
on: September 25, 2014, 04:48:52 AM
Just wondering if any flik has the replaceable wire cutters, or if its possible to swap heads with other models. Thanks :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: FLIK question
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:21:02 AM
They don't have replaceable cutters. Not sure about changing the plierheads. Most of the other gerbers plierheads are to thick. But there are a lot more Gerbers than when I had my Flik.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:21:13 PM
Sorry to say that the Flik plier head is very specific and I cannot see a way of swapping in a different head.  Actually it might be possible, but you'd lose the feature that makes the handles splay out when the pliers are deployed.  So, while you might fit a MP400 head in there I can't really see the point. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 03:07:02 AM
So I guess Gerber mt are not very hack friendly huh? That sucks cus it seems like they come apart easily, is there any Gerber hack club threads? Ive seen that you, Gareth sir, are a flik advocate, do you still like them?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 11:25:10 AM
Within the MP600 and 400 range there is quite a lot of individual tools that you can move around to your hearts content, plus folks have also brought in tools from the likes of the Diesel.  With light a bit of hacking you can also fit the shears from a Paul Chen Multitasker into a PM600.  Quite a lot of opportunity for hacking there. :tu:

The Filk is a different beast though. :-\  The unique selling point of the Flik is the way the handles splay after the head has been flicked out, thus eliminating any chance of the user getting a pinch to the palm.  Have a quick look at Grant's old video if you haven't already, it shows what I mean:

I am still most definitely a Flik fan, however I fully acknowledge that it's not a MT for everyone.  I work as a building technician repairing and maintaining all the basic  services such as electrical supply, heating, hot water, lighting, plumbing etc so I get lots of oppertunity to use my MTs on a day-by-day basis.  After getting the Flik I carried pretty much exclusively for several months, which is just not something I'd normally do.  Normally I'd change what I carry on a weekly, if not a daily, basis.  Not so with the Flik. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 11:45:31 AM
Here's a shot of the internals that make up the Flik's head:

That's not rust BTW, just muck. :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:49:22 AM by Gareth »

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:39:59 AM
So the mechanics of the flik  are different than the rest huh? I don't know why, but that picture seems inappropriate haha

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 11:31:48 AM
So the mechanics of the flik  are different than the rest huh? I don't know why, but that picture seems inappropriate haha

:D :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%