Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Machete Roundup

Chako · 56 · 9832

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Machete Roundup
on: September 25, 2014, 04:08:42 PM
I am the accidental machete collector. My problem, if it is a problem, is that when I see something I like, I tend to acquire it. Do this enough times, and one suddenly has a sub collection on ones hands. Thus I have slowly accrued a nice little machete collection. Time to show and tell.

A note first. I only noticed the spots in the carpet due to the camera. To the eye, it is barely noticeable. Looks like one of my guard cats decided to make a faint Jackson Pollock piece of art. It is now gone as I went upstairs and cleaned the spots after the photo shoot. Just in case you were wondering.  >:D

First up, the Gerber Machetes.

Gerber Bear Grylls Parang

First off, a bit of information about Prangs in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parang_(knife)

Now let us look at the BG Parang. As far as machetes go, this one feels the business with its shape and heavy steel build. However, with that said, this is one piece of gear with a tainted past...

http://www.gerbergear.com/Frontpage/Meet-Gerber/Product-Info/Product-Notifications/Bear-Grylls-Parang-Recall

The sheath is very nice and well made, with some air emergency signals sewn to the back of it.

I know that BG gear is not to everyone's taste, but for me, I do like the contrasting colours, and the highlight of the whole series, is that rubber textured grip. There is also a lanyard which you can loop around the handle to prevent your hand from slipping and possibly getting lacerated...provided you don't have one of the older models that may self implode at the handle, doing the job for you. Otherwise, this one feels very nice in the hand, with a nice forward weight that will help you cut, slash, and terrorize the local foliage.

Specifications: Bear Grylls Parang Machete

Overall Length:19.5
Blade Length:14
Blade Material:High Carbon
Handle Material:Tac Hide
Sheath:Nylon
Weight:19.4
Country of Origin:China

Gerber Machete Pro

This is apparently the top end of Gerber Machetes. The Machete Pro has a neat branch cutter on the back side that makes it look like something out of Moordore.

the sheath must fit the tool, and this one has a rivet right in the center that you much hook the tool around. You don't slide this machete out, but must push forward and around to get the tool out. It took me 3 tries before I got the hang of it. Because of this, there should be no worries of this tool falling out if you ever find yourself upside down and forgot to Velcro the sheath around the machete.

After doing a little bit of digging, it looks like the Machete Pro is a knock off design-wise, of the Woodsman's Pal that was created back in 41. Either way, the Machete Pro is a very nice design and constructed machete.

Specifications: Gerber Gator Machete Pro

Overall Length:16.5
Blade Length:10.5
Blade Material:1075
Handle Material:Gator Grip
Weight:18

Gerber Gator Jr

When I first bought this, I thought I had the full sized Gator. I really didn't look at the packaging when I first got it, as it ended up in the bin rather quickly. Then someone told me I had the junior version...meaning I had to also get the full sized Gator. The smaller junior is also a nice machete, but the blade is rather thin on this version and thus tends to flex somewhat. I prefer to have a little more wight behind a swing. On the plus side, there is a functional saw on the backbone which does add to its flexibility. The Gator Jr is not designed to clear heavy jungle, but for camping, it is a worthy addition. The Junior, being smaller, is also a lot easier to carry around.

The sheath of both the Gator and Gator Junion have a nice piece of plastic running down the sheath where it meets the saw. No worries of the saw getting caught up in the nylon sheath. Not sure how long the plastic reinforcement would last under heavy use however.

The original Gator Jr suffered from a recall. The first production run had a poorly shaped handled that made it all too easy for the user's hand to move upwards during use. The newer run, which this is an example, has a newly designed handle that prevents this from happening. Likewise, the newer machetes all feature lanyards which you wrap around the handle preventing hand movement, as it forms a soft knuckle guard.

Specifications: Gerber Machete Jr

Overall Length:18.75
Blade Length:10.75
Weight:14

Gerber Gator

Much like the smaller jr, the Gator is of the same sawback build...only much longer. I still find the blade to be a little thin and not enough weight for my preference, but I did try this out and it works as advertized.

Hanging off a belt is a bit much for something so long. I tried it and if flopped all over the place.

I also found an issue with using the saw. During my testing, I found that the whole thing was a bit long and awkward to properly use the saw efficiently. I love the saw's length, but I couldn't apply enough leverage to really do some work in each stroke. I ended up using a piece of tough leather to protect my hand on the blade. That did the trick...if a bit dangerous. Much like the jr, the Gator also had the same design flaw in the handle, resulting in a recall. Newer versions, which this is an example, have the newer updated handle.

Specifications: Gator Machete

Overall Length:25.7
Blade Length:18
Weight:18

That is it for the Gerber machetes.

Camillus Les Stroud SK Jungle Survival Machete

Designed to compete with the Gerber Bear Grylls lineup, is in many ways, Bear's competitor, Les Stroud. Both host survival shows, etc. This one is from Camillus, which feature the Les Stroud lineup. This is the Machete of the series. This is a very nice piece, and like the BG machete, the sheath features a few tricks.

The front of the sheath contains a nice fire starter which fits a grove on the top of the machete blade. The backside also features a map mesh pouch which is perfect to store Les's version of his one page survival guide. A lot nicer then the vinyl air signals patch with one side not sewn found on the backside of the BG Parang.

I will say, the Camillus Les Stroud survival knives are ok in that they haven't caused me to question their quality. However, after buying the Camillus Les Stroud multi-tool, I was taken aback at how poorly designed, and executed that tool was. This got me to thinking about this machete, and true enough, it didn't take me long to see plenty of folks complaining about their Les Stroud SK Jungle machete breaking on them after use. I have't used mine yet...but such things do not lend me any confidence in this tool.  A shame, as it really feels good in the hand, with a nice weight to it. So buyer beware.

Blade Style: machete blade
Blade Length: 12" (31 cm)
Blade Steel Grade: titanium bonded 440A stainless steel
Knife Weight: 22 oz (624 g)
Handle Details: fiberglass reinforced nylon with rubber overmold
Sheath Details: nylon sheath
Non-stick blade
Fire starter
Knurled steel pommel
Trail pouch

Camillus Carnivore

Here is a smallish machete made by Camillus. I found this one at a local TSC for around 20 bucks on sale. I couldn't resist it at that price. Like the Camillus Les Stroud machete, this one also features plenty of online folks calling this one junk. I sense a trend here with Camillus machetes.
This one does feature a nice velvety rubberized handle that is super comfortable. I think of this as a very large knife...seeing that it is half serrated. There is also a notch on the backside for cutting smaller branches, wires, belts, etc.

The sheath is pretty if your into that sort of thing with a lot of advertising. Myself, I would have preferred something a little more subdued.

Like the Les Stroud machete, this is also Titanium coated for what that is worth.

18" Titanium Bonded® Carnivore® Machete with Ballisitc Nylon Sheath
Full Tang 440 Stainless Steel, Titanium Bonded
Multi-Grind Blade
ABS Handle
12" Blade with Chisel, Cutting, Sawing and Wire Cutter Capabilities

Cold Steel Panga

From a company that makes around 20 different machetes, the Panga is an interesting design.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machete

The panga or tapanga is a variant used in East and Southern Africa. This name may be of Swahili etymology; not to be confused with the Panga fish. The panga blade broadens on the backside and has a length of 16 to 18 inches (41 to 46 cm). The upper inclined portion of the blade may be sharpened.[17]

This tool has been used as a weapon: during the Mau Mau Uprising; in the Rwandan Genocide; in South Africa particularly in the 1980s and early 1990s when the former province of Natal was wracked by conflict between the African National Congress and the Zulu-nationalist Inkatha Freedom Party.[18]

Of course, when I bought it, I didn't know anything of its history...but just like the shape.

The sheath features two snap fasteners to hold the machete in place. The handle is nice, big, and comfortable. There is also a lanyard hole.

The shape is what attracted me at first. This is a nice design. I tried it out a few time and worked every time. Very little hand shock due to the handle material.

PANGA MACHETE
Blade Length: 16"
Overall Length: 21 5/8"
Steel: 1055 Carbon Steel w/ Black Baked on Anti Rust Matte Finish
Weight: 19 oz
Blade Thickness: 2 mm
Handle: 5 5/8" Long Polypropylene
Sheath: Cor-Ex® Sheath

I would be remise if I didn't link to a few Cold Steel videos.  :angel:

Cold Steel Gladius Machete

Here is one I couldn't resist. It comes razor sharp. A lot sharper than your average machete. It also has a super sharp point...something you don't see on your average machete. Not much need to stab trees and foliage. However, this didn't stop Cold Steel in producing, what is essentially a robust machete based on the Roman Gladius. Yeah, you have to wonder what were they thinking. Come to think of it...you might thing the same of me for buying it in the first place. I have no regrets.  :D

The sheath is a nice thing, with two pieces of reinforcing plastic plates sandwiched around the nylon sheath. Proper reinforcing rivets are evident at the distal end...because this machete is freaking sharp and pointy as all get out.

The handle is nice, big, and comfortable. There is even an attachment point for a lanyard if you so choose.

GLADIUS MACHETE
Blade Length: 18"
Overall Length: 25 7/8"
Weight: 27.2 oz (approx.)
Blade Thickness: 2.8 mm
Handle: 7 7/8" Long. Polypropylene
Sheath: Cor-Ex Sheat

Cold Steel Two Handed Machete

Now I am ready for the zombie hordes. This two handed machete is nice and light and well balanced. I took a few swipes at some backyard brush and this thing ate them line nothing. You can use this either with one or two hands. Unfortunately, no sheath for this monster, but I could always make one out of leather if I have a mind to it.

TWO HANDED MACHETE
Blade Length: 11 1/4"
Overall Length: 32"
Weight: 30.9 oz
Blade Thickness: 2 mm
Handle: 20 3/4" Polypropylene

:salute:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:11:06 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Machete Roundup
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:22:19 PM
Zombie killers.
There is something special about a big machete.
nice collection
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:12:27 PM
Those are cool!!! Thanks for sharing.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:00:58 PM
The Cold Steel videos are sooo bada$$ ... it shows these guys are having fun.
Have new appreciation for them...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:42:42 PM
Chako, interesting colleciton.

I just finished watching Walking Dead season 4, and felt like I am visiting the props room for the set.  :D

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:59:42 PM
I love my machete's. They ar my go-to knives for the bush, to be used for all that is too big for my SAK. They ain't pretty, but they get the heck used out of them. Especially the 9 1/2 inch cleaver and the English Martindale Golock.

This is my usual woods carry for camping/hiking/canoeing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:04:31 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:42:54 PM
Those look really good cbl51.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 02:15:14 AM
No good ol' Coghlan's?  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 02:58:17 AM
I have their MT...and that is all I am prepared to say about that!  :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:30:47 AM
I so want one of those Gladius...just can't help thinking it would be a bad idea >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 11:18:00 AM
I so want one of those Gladius...just can't help thinking it would be a bad idea >:D

I doubt Chako has any idea what you mean by "bad idea" I think the poor man has no reasoning in his 'purchase cortex' and works entirely on reflex  :think:
however I can see it coming in handy for your daily commute through our fair capital !
(no more standing on those underground trains for you my friend ;) )

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 12:40:27 PM
It's amazing what a huge amount of utility a small machete has. I never would have thought about one if a co=worker from El Salvador didn't enlighten me. He was born and raised there, but fled in the 70's when the death squads were going around killing people. We had this little fishing click at work, and we invited him to go fishing with us. His didn't bother with a real fishing knife, just showed up with a small machete. We got quite an eye opener. By the time a few weeks passed, the rest of us had picked up a small machete. Since then, I have no real use for any sheath knife. If my pocket knife can't handle it, the machete gets used. The small machete even makes a great camp kitchen knife for slicing meat, sandwiches, tomatoes, as well as clearing stickers and brush from the camp site.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 03:03:43 PM
It's amazing what a huge amount of utility a small machete has. I never would have thought about one if a co=worker from El Salvador didn't enlighten me. He was born and raised there, but fled in the 70's when the death squads were going around killing people. We had this little fishing click at work, and we invited him to go fishing with us. His didn't bother with a real fishing knife, just showed up with a small machete. We got quite an eye opener. By the time a few weeks passed, the rest of us had picked up a small machete. Since then, I have no real use for any sheath knife. If my pocket knife can't handle it, the machete gets used. The small machete even makes a great camp kitchen knife for slicing meat, sandwiches, tomatoes, as well as clearing stickers and brush from the camp site.

I can totally relate to that, especially when travelling in different countries throughout Asia.  From cutting open coconut to clearing an area, this type of tool is the real work horse for the locals.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 12:02:44 AM
From what I've seen the one of the big reasons the Camillus Carnivore gets a bad rap is the first run touted a full length tang but weren't full tang. They had this skinny stock tang with 3 rivet holes drilled in it, why 3 I don't know cause the handle only had 2 screws. They tend to snap at the un-used hole.

Now I think they fixed this problem, glad I didn't buy one the first day. I almost did I like the square styled blade.
There is a new one the CarnivoreX that has a molded hard plastic grip and appears to have a true full tang with part of it showing on the butt end. I'm debating that one.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 01:14:51 AM
Im down to 3 machetes now since I lost my ontario 12 inch, but it wasnt a favorite of mine. 

I also have the gerber gator thing but I hate it and the only reason its still in my garage is that I cant give the bloody thing away.

Here are the 2 that I use, cold steel panga and condor village parang. 

The cold steel is what I use when I know I'll be chopping into the ground and I can take nicks out of it so fast with a grinder, its good value for money.  Its got a thin blade, but its appropriate for what its intended for.

The handle kind of blows though. I have massive hands and can just get a good grip.  If you have med and small hands forget about it.  Its also slippery when wet.

The jungle parang rocks.  Its a mens version of that sad gerber attempt at a parang.  Sorry Bear.

Nice choke up for detail work too.

It didnt come perfect though.  They put a convex edge on it which I did not like. I reground it to be a more normal one and I've loved it since I fixed it.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 08:10:09 PM
A good way to get an idea of what really works in the bush/woods/boonies, is to observe what the people there really use in a day to day life. No matter if Southeast Asia, Latin America, or someplace in Africa, the native people have it figured out what to use. The panga, the parang, bolo, go lock, and machete are all products of over a hundred years of development.

My own love of machete's came from a eco hiking/camping/wild life watching trip in the Costa Rican rain forest. Another name for jungle. This trip some years after our machete education by our El Salvadorian co-worker was the last nail in my conversion. I watched all our guide who carried those 12 inch small machete's and did everything with them, including the butcher and later serving up of the roast pig on our last night in the rain forest. Camp tool, cooking tool, and roast pig serving tool, the 12 inch machete did it all. It didn't even seem to matter the brand. A couple of the guides used the small Tramontina, one or two the Condor, one used an old Collins. They go tit done.

My heavier Martindale golcok can out chop my Plumb hatchet, and yet still deal with light brush well.

That Condor parang looks very interesting. I may have to try one!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:41 PM
I love my machete's. They ar my go-to knives for the bush, to be used for all that is too big for my SAK. They ain't pretty, but they get the heck used out of them. Especially the 9 1/2 inch cleaver and the English Martindale Golock.

(Image removed from quote.)

:drool: They seem pretty effective. What thickness is the spine, please?  :drool:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 10:35:28 PM
Nice machete's here. I used to own one from an army surplus shop. A thin long blade with screwed on green plastic handles in a green canvas sheath. It bent with heavy use, but I could bend it straight and hammer the dents on the edge flat again. Unfortunately, I have no use for a machete anymore now. Stil love to see them show up here. Keep on posting.  :tu:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 02:03:08 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

:drool: They seem pretty effective. What thickness is the spine, please?  :drool:

The Ontario is 1/8 inch thick, and the English one that I call my bush cleaver is just a tad less than 1/8. Not near as thin as say a 12 inch Tramontina.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:51 AM
:tu: Thank you.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 12:58:19 PM
I have two new additions.

The first I found a local pawn shop new. It is heavy and sharp, and with its construction, durable. The handle is not the most comfortable thing around though.

Next up is the Camillus Carnivore X. Now this is a very nice thing. Heavy and with a full tang, durable. I like this one a lot. It comes with a small secondary blade in its own sheath that snaps onto the main sheath with Velcro on the top to secure it. Built a lot better than the Carnivore mentioned above.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 01:14:53 AM
Meet the Fiskar Brush Axe. It comes with a hard plastic blade protector/carrier.

I tried this on a small tree in my neighbours yard that was encroaching my garage. This brush axe means business. Works like a charm.  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 08:26:44 AM
If you like that, get yourself a Morris Billhook mate! They are fearsomely good tools for that sort of work :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 09:25:30 AM
Syph007
I like the edge you put on the parang. I could se that being easier to sharpen with a stone or a lansky v sharpener.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:50 PM
I found a few more machetes today. I am simply amazed at how many different styles there are that I can find locally. It blows my mind somewhat. Photos later today. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:17 PM
I needed to read up more about the various shapes of machetes and found this, which I found very helpful.

http://www.machetespeSmurfpillsts.com/tyofma.html

I now have a better understanding of why certain machetes are shaped the way they are as well as the various specialized uses for each general shape.

Now it is time for the new additions.

First up is a SOG 10" Tactical Tanto SOGFari machete. More of an oversized knife, I am not quite sure what to make of this one.

The grip is just awesome on this one, as is the textured handle. A not that typical sawback machete. I must say, it is entertaining to hold.

Just to highlight the tacticalness of this my knife is bigger than yours item, the pommel features these teeth for bludgeoning um...er...things.  :think:

Next up is an item that I saw in the flyer from the TSC store. This is a Gerber Gator Bolo.

The sheath has a zipper on it...not sure how durable that will be...but it is there nonetheless. Of all the Gator machetes i have, this is the best of all of them. The feel and weight are good. The handle is good. It even features the gator pattern which lends these machetes their name.

Yes, that is the Gerber gator grip.I like this one a lot.

Next up is another Cold Steel machete. Surprisingly enough, some of their machetes do not come with a sheath. This one came in a cardboard protector...meet the Cold Steel Latin Machete.

This is a fairly long machete. All of Cold Steel machetes are made in South Africa, and generally appear to all have relatively lightweight thin blades compared to some of the other models I have.

And here is a size comparison shot...with a SOG Hawk thrown in for good measure.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 03:46:17 PM
Here are another 2 machetes for the collection.

Meet the Apocalypse. I have no clue who produced this.

It is another saw back machete with a plastic D guard. The tang is visible on the back of the handle and it would appear to be held by 3 rivets/screws hidden under round plastic caps. My copy has a very small vertical play towards the posterior end of the grip. Just enough to be noticeable and therefor annoying.

The Zombie Slayer is made by Survivor. This is a smaller machete with a full tang and rope wrapped handle.

The Zombie Slayer features serrations on the sharp side towards the handle, and a unique corrugated serration on the back of the blade that runs for a few inches in length. Sharp in black and orange livery.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 03:40:55 AM
Another machete added to the collection...this time it is a Gerber Gator Kukri machete. This very nice machete came with a dead beat Gerber Instant folding pocket knife.

I really like the shape of this one.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 08:13:07 PM
Chako, thanks for posting.  I like the Kukri, it looks quite functional. :tu:

I was just sharpening my machete by Ontario today, and had been thinking about the same question recently--why no maker put the lanyard hole somewhere on top of/close to the guard?  The pommel lanyard hole is nice, but it really doesn't do much to retain the tool in hand, and if the tool does fly or swing out of hand, the lanyard at pommel is almost like a sure ticket for the tool swing back to cut me... :pok: :think:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 11:53:22 PM
I hear you. At least the Gerber ones are long enough so that they are designed to loop ahead of your hand, creating a lanyard knuckle guard of sorts. In practice, it does work rather well in keeping your hand on the handle, preventing it from either riding up towards the blade, or away.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98
Below Goal: $165.02