Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife for cutting citrus

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Knife for cutting citrus
on: September 27, 2014, 08:32:03 AM
Hey guys, it's been awhile, but I knew you'd be the best people to ask for help with this :)

At my new job I will be cutting fruit occasionally, heavily some days, and would like to see if anyone has a knife that fits the bill for this purpose. I would like something unique or custom but if that fails I'm open to suggestions. Thanks guys!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Knife for cutting citrus
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:19:54 AM
The best way to get a custom knife is contacting a knife maker and start a dialogue. Now, I couldn't think of anything that fit your bill right away, but just to get the suggestions rolling, how about simply a http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product/Cutlery/Category/CeramicLine/Paring-knife-12-cm/7.2033.12G ? Neither unique nor exclusive, but it won't rust, is easy to clean and so on...

Or did you want something you can EDC, but also use for work? Thinking out loud: Something with a very comfortable handle, probably full flat grind, 10-15 cm blade and pretty much impervious to rust... Folding or fixed?

http://wilkins-knives.com/folders/ did the Ryback folding kitchen knife, but no longer makes it...

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:24:44 PM
I like eating oranges (and have done so for over 50 years, so I've cut quite few in that time).  I usually cut them into 6 segements, and find the best knives have a fairly thin blade, not too long ( a bit longer than the diameter of the largest orange I'm going to cut), and either a freshly sharpened plain blade, or a very fine serrated blade give me best results (and these don't seem to need sharpening at all).  A handle that has no crevices etc make them easier to clean.

You might try a few cheaper knives out to see what suits you before spending any serious money.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:46:24 PM
Thanks for the advice! I would prefer a folder. Those Wilkins knives look amazing but are probably out of my budget. Victor inbox could be a good choice. Edcgear had a real cool custom listed here a few years ago that I wish I has bought. I think Greg had the right idea, a long blade is definitely something I'm looking for. I kind of like the old fashioned look like maybe an opinel or svord. But I'm not sure of what blade material I should be using. Victorinox does seem smart and easy now that you've mentioned it though

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 05:49:15 PM
Have you looked into the Spydercos with H-1 blade like the Salt1 or Pacific Salt? The reason I mention these is the blade will never rust which will happen with basically any other steel. Some much faster than others.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:32:07 PM
Have you looked into the Spydercos with H-1 blade like the Salt1 or Pacific Salt? The reason I mention these is the blade will never rust which will happen with basically any other steel. Some much faster than others.
I +1 this a Spyderco Pacific Salt would be long enough imho but if you need shorter they have a Ladybug 3 and Dragonfly 2 in H-1.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 11:39:32 PM
I think a Salt might be a good idea too, but I want throw out an oddball even though it'll make me look like an even bigger Victorinox fanboy than I am: The Vic 111 mm Swiss Cheese Knife

http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Pocket-knives-with-lock-blade/Pocket-knives-with-lock-blade-111-mm/Swiss-Cheese-Knife/0.8833.W

Even less of a custom knife than earlier ideas, but I guess rather unique.  :D

It just struck me that a blade combo like that could be nice for some kinds of citrus cutting.

Edit: Personally I'd really not want to do heavy cutting for a long time with that knife. I would like something more comfortable in the hand.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:42:12 PM by Steinar »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 12:14:45 AM
What kind of fruit?
Are you be doing it in front of customers?
Is there a hygiene standard to keep?
What is your budget?
How big are your hands?

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 12:34:58 AM
What kind of fruit?
Are you be doing it in front of customers?
Is there a hygiene standard to keep?
What is your budget?
How big are your hands?

It would be mainly oranges, no hygiene standard really, they get thrown out. It's testing the fruit as it comes in to determine if it is mature enough to be sent out and if it will ripen properly. Not in front of customers. Definitely less than 100 I would say unless I would find other uses for it. I currently carry a leek but I don't believe it is comfortable or long enough. I'd say I have fairly average hands. I'm 6'2 but have skinnier hands.

I'll look into those spydercos as well. Thanks!

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:03:47 PM
Victorinox 111mm One Hand Trekker

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 06:57:08 PM
Opinel nº8 / Jardin

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 07:12:05 PM
Rust isn't really a concern in this usage is it? I mean I use lemon juice as one of my main rust removers when restoring bikes.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 08:11:37 PM

I think you will get tired of cleaning a folding knife  :think:
If it were me I would go for a stainless Mora with their plastic easy to clean sheath  :salute:

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 04:29:06 AM
For the price I'll definitely grab a Mora to try, you guys always say great things about them anyway.

Here's a link to a video with one of the types of cuts that I'll be doing and the knife being used is the standard we get issued but dont have to use. I will be doing this easily hundreds of times a day and I'm thinking that you guys are probably right about fixed being far more comfortable even though they issue a folder. I just can't seem to find many knives with a blade like in the video.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 04:59:28 AM
I'm sure the Mora will be great. Just remember to rinse it after the end of every day or it will rust on you. Especially if you get a Carbon model.
I'm the milk man!

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 05:29:37 AM
For the price I'll definitely grab a Mora to try, you guys always say great things about them anyway.

Here's a link to a video with one of the types of cuts that I'll be doing and the knife being used is the standard we get issued but dont have to use. I will be doing this easily hundreds of times a day and I'm thinking that you guys are probably right about fixed being far more comfortable even though they issue a folder. I just can't seem to find many knives with a blade like in the video.

Is that a "melon sampler" knife in the video ?  It looks like one to me.  If it is I think they are pretty common.  Looks like you need a fairly long (and sharp) blade to cut that way safely.

BTW  Cara Cara navels are my favourite orange, and I've been pigging out on them recently  because my local fruit shop has had them on special for the last month or so (but they must be getting near the end of the season by now  :cry:  )
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 06:34:56 AM
It is a melon sampler knife. A schrade. I've heard from others that they aren't very good knives.

Most oranges here aren't even ready to be harvested yet! Maybe you'll get in some shipments from the states and can keep pigging out

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 10:09:48 AM
It is a melon sampler knife. A schrade. I've heard from others that they aren't very good knives.

Most oranges here aren't even ready to be harvested yet! Maybe you'll get in some shipments from the states and can keep pigging out

I guess that depends on how well it meets your needs (rather than what they were after).

Pretty soon the Valencia oranges will be starting here in Oz (but I prefer navels by a fair margin).

us Offline Yalius

Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 07:15:06 AM
Why not something like a good 6" fillet knife? Nice thin long blade, about as corrosion-resistant as they come, should work nicely and cheap to replace if it gets lost.

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 08:40:49 AM
Whatever you decide, might I recommend carrying either a small knife steel or sharpener?  You're going to want a nice sharp edge, and touching up in the field would probably be less of a hassle.
The world belongs to the funkiest.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD