Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Attraction of thinner phones

jzmtl · 46 · 2737

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Attraction of thinner phones
on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:21 AM
Who else hates the fad of the thinner and thinner phones?

This didn't start with iphone 6 and all the #bendgate, the earliest I recall was when galaxy s2 came out and tooted at the thinnest on market. Of course I thought it was retarded, since the camera is sticking way out. Samsung later released an extended battery with replacement back cover which made the back flat, and I got it as soon as it was released. Now I've switched to S5, same crap again, camera sticking way out, when a much larger battery could've been fitted in.

Personally I find thickness (within reason) makes absolutely no difference for in hand feel, especially with the latest 5" phones. Actually scratch that, too thin makes it feel worse, and you are stuck with a smaller battery. I added a case with kickstand to my S5 and it feels better in hand.

Hope Samsung would release a extended battery kit that makes the back of S5 flush, could easily fit a 25~40% larger battery inside.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Attraction of thinner phones
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 01:09:38 AM
I lock each phone in an Otterbox Defender as soon as I get them so it really doesn't make any difference to me.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:13:50 AM
I don't really care about thickness or weight but I do care about size. It took so long to make phones small, don't make them big again! If I want something big I'll get a tablet.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 01:53:25 AM
the earliest I recall was when galaxy s2 came out and tooted at the thinnest on market. Of course I thought it was retarded, since the camera is sticking way out.

Hmm.  Mrs. Powernoodle still rocks the S2, and I still carry the S2 Skyrocket.  Ours don't have the sticky outty camera, but maybe Samsung changed things before we got ours.

As for the thickness, it seems to me that thinner is better if all other things are equal.  But I would prefer more battery life if it meant a thicker phone.  But my S2 Skyrocket is pretty dang thin, and I haven't had any reason to "upgrade" yet.  Maybe if Samsung comes out with a metal body phone.  Plastic is fine and dandy, but it just feels cheapy.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:24:35 AM
I think the US market has a different S2, we had the international version.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 03:01:16 AM
Thin is great. Recently upgraded from a SIII to a S5. Login them. Also have a Doogee Voyager 2 as a work day phone. Basically a S5 clone but dual SIM so can have personal and work numbers in one device.
Funny... All of these get carried in my pockets but none have bent.  ::)

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 03:19:38 AM
I remember thinking the thin craze was stupid back in the original RAZR days (flip-phone razr).

I just think it makes it hard to hold.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 03:25:32 AM
I remember trying to carry a bag phone in my pocket...  That didn't work out too well. :facepalm:

For pocket carry, I want a thin phone.  Holster carry, then it's not quite as important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 03:34:43 AM
I think my galaxy 5 active is just about the perfect size.

Nice and thin with a big screen.

Defend the Hive!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 03:46:48 AM
To be clear I'm talking about the difference of just a few mm, not one of those antique monsters.

I remember thinking the thin craze was stupid back in the original RAZR days (flip-phone razr).

I just think it makes it hard to hold.

I had a RAZR, yeah the proportion is pretty bad. The next model KRZR was a lot better, thicker and slimmer, too bad I had the CDMA model so can't put in a SIM, or it would be a nice backup phone.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:00:26 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 03:58:40 AM
I wouldn't mind a rerelease of a modernized RAZR with a 3+ MP camera. Granted, can't even get the Nokia 515 in 3G for the US, or the 930 on any carrier other than Verizon...

I think the smallest phone I've owned was a candybar phone, a Nokia 6235i, which was quite decent for what I needed as a high schooler at the time.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 05:25:50 AM
I miss the old rotary phones.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 06:26:53 AM
I don't really see the attraction of ultra-thin phones either. What I want is a moderately-smart phone with a small screen (3.5" diagonal or smaller). I can't find anything like that, so I'm still plugging away with my LG Optimus S, which can just barely handle the most basic apps. Some day soon I'll have to give up and upgrade to a newer (larger) phone, but I'm holding off as long as possible. :rant:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 08:32:11 AM
Oh you kids and your phones.  :D
I'm the milk man!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 11:52:07 AM
bend-gate doesn't start with iphone6 anyways, my cousin slightly bent his iphone5 while putting one of his kids to bed (it was in his chest front pocket, he leaned over the edge of the crib)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 01:40:28 PM
I miss the old rotary phones.

Nate
Not very pocket friendly though. :whistle:

us Offline Rux

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 01:46:02 PM
I don't really see the attraction of ultra-thin phones either. What I want is a moderately-smart phone with a small screen (3.5" diagonal or smaller). I can't find anything like that, so I'm still plugging away with my LG Optimus S, which can just barely handle the most basic apps. Some day soon I'll have to give up and upgrade to a newer (larger) phone, but I'm holding off as long as possible. :rant:

+1

My favorite smart phone was an LG Optimus Q due to still having an actual keyboard and maintaining a 3.5 inch screen.

Getting my HTC One X, it seemed massive and some of my buddies ragged on me.

Now they have all these massive 5+ inch screen phones and mine actually looks small.

This guy at my work and another friend have Galaxy Notes. They're not phones, they're not tablets, they're phablets.  :facepalm:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 04:01:55 PM
Thin phone = small battery capacity . I'm a big bugger , an extra 1/8"-1/4" dosen't bother me . I always carry in a case anyway - naked pocket is an invitation to breakage .

Chris

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 10:40:09 PM
As phone screens get bigger, thickness is really about the only dimension where size savings can be had.  Properly engineered, it shouldn't cause major issues.  However, the 6+ may have an design flaw that compromises a metal plate meant to reinforce the phone.

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

• My common sense is tingling
Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 12:05:45 AM
I miss my nokia 3310... and the 6820. Honestly I prefer a bigger phone to a slim one, something about having something that feels more solid and hefty in my pocket.

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 04:19:36 PM
The S5 camera protruding slightly isn't a big deal for me. I have a Spigen Slim Armor case that is about 1mm thick and flares around the camera by .5mm to protect it. Also no complaints on battery life. I can go all day without plugging in with moderate use. My S3 would require a top off or battery swap at some point during the day on the same usage.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 04:26:17 PM
Like Def said, I insist on an OtterBox for my phone so thin is great.
SAW

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 05:04:17 PM
At some point the size of a phone has to start being inconvenient. I would almost prefer 2 devices like a smaller more robust, longer lasting phone and a complementary tablet or some other type of larger screen interface for surf/media etc.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 05:10:53 PM
At some point the size of a phone has to start being inconvenient. I would almost prefer 2 devices like a smaller more robust, longer lasting phone and a complementary tablet or some other type of larger screen interface for surf/media etc.
You can easy do that if you consider iPhone 5 and the lot as small. However, setting up your phone as access point eats your battery. Better to have a tablet with a Sim-card.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:47 PM
I was hooked with the Palm Vx and the Sony Clie TH55. I found any pocket organizer, media player and mobile phone had an awful form factor after them. Almost a decade after my Clie I am finally happy with the iPhone 4s and the LG V500 Tablet. As thin as I would ever like.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 11:49:14 AM
I don't mind thickness so much, as well, but I can't imagine how people get along with a 6" phablet in their pockets... I'm glad Sony makes a well-spec'd smaller sized phone, that fits nicely in my pocket and I don't really notice it too much. I would without any thought trade in a few millimeters of thickness for a longer battery life.

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 07:18:50 PM

+2

I don't mind thin so as long the battery is good, but I do mind the tendency towards big screen.  Bigger screen potentially drain the battery faster.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:33 PM
Bigger screen are nice to look at though. But it barely fit into my pants pocket now, I have to take it out when sitting in a car.

That reminds me, it definitely won't fit in my ski jacket's phone pocket now, crap...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:03 PM
I want it all. Big screen, huge battery life and an Otterbox case.

I'd take a phablet any day.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 09:34:14 PM
I like the larger screens but mine also go in an otterbox defender so a thinner phone is a plus. I've got a 5s at the moment so I'll miss the 6 and 6 plus but the updated versions I'll probably get the plus.

My phones also never go in my back pocket, unlike those skinny jeans wearing hipsters that have been bending their shiny new iphones.

I saw a story today that people are going into apple stores and trying to bend the display models, arse hattery seems to know no bounds  :facepalm:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD