Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG "Power" under 4in?

rtvolk · 23 · 2518

Offline rtvolk

SOG "Power" under 4in?
on: September 28, 2014, 06:18:51 PM
Hey y'all, I'm new to posting in-forum but I've been using multitools since the '90s or thereabouts and I've been forum lurking for longer than I'd care to admit.

I wanted to put a rapid fire thread up to ID (as the title says) a SOG "Power" tool under four inches in length (closed) I've had a pre-gear cover PowerLock since '06 and love it but I'm looking for something more wieldy and can't go on in life without those compounding power gears!

Thanks in advance for y'all's help and I'm excited to become an asset to the multi-tool family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: SOG "Power" under 4in?
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:22:59 PM
The SOG PPP (pocket power plier) is a 4 inch one. 

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline rtvolk

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:31:21 PM
Syph! The SAK surgeon, as I live and breath! Thanks for the tip, extra credit for you if you can tell me whether it comes in a gear cover form.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 06:40:51 PM
Not as a SOG, but it does/did as the Paladin PT-510.
Same tool but with gear covers and now a bit tricky to find.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 06:43:44 PM
Not as a SOG, but it does/did as the Paladin PT-510.
Same tool but with gear covers and now a bit tricky to find.

Yep! The best of both worlds if you swap the PPP tools into the Paladin body.  I bought both but still haven't got around to it.   :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:03:20 PM
Of course if you want smaller (much, much smaller) there is also the SOG CrossGrip (but it's not meant for heavy duty work).  Better to wait until you locate a PT-510 (but you'll probably need to be a bit patient).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline rtvolk

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 07:09:15 PM
^Just my luck, it's an out model. I'm always late to the party. Is the Paladin a lesser quality brand, like Wenger to Victorinox? I've heard the name but not much info.

Offline rtvolk

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 07:11:55 PM
Also, I got an email the other day from SOG and they said they'd put covers on my pre-cover PowerLock. Has anyone asked them to do this on a PowerPlier?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 07:16:28 PM
Is the Paladin a lesser quality brand, like Wenger to Victorinox?

Shh the Wenger posse will hear you and do unspeakable, R-rated things to you using a corkscrew  :ahhh
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline rtvolk

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 07:21:42 PM
^BWAHAHA! Too true! I say that with love. I've actually had a Wenger since as long as I can remember. I ask for mercy from the marauding Wenger warriors!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 08:10:50 PM
^Just my luck, it's an out model. I'm always late to the party. Is the Paladin a lesser quality brand, like Wenger to Victorinox? I've heard the name but not much info.

As far as I knew they are made by SOG just branded for paladin.  The components are identical except paladin swaps out some for their electrical punch thingy.  I'll take some pics of mine later.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 08:11:55 PM
Is the Paladin a lesser quality brand, like Wenger to Victorinox? I've heard the name but not much info.
Paladin MTs are made by SOG and SOG put the Paladin brand on it.  The tool load on the Paladin Powerplay models leans toward electrical/telecomms use, with pointier pliers and saw tip, amongst other things.  There are 3 different models, PT-510, PT-525 and the plus-sized PT-540.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 08:17:22 PM
Is the Paladin a lesser quality brand, like Wenger to Victorinox? I've heard the name but not much info.
Paladin MTs are made by SOG and SOG put the Paladin brand on it.  The tool load on the Paladin Powerplay models leans toward electrical/telecomms use, with pointier pliers and saw tip, amongst other things.  There are 3 different models, PT-510, PT-525 and the plus-sized PT-540.

Ya the 510 is what you want.  I wish I could remember where I bought mine, but I think it was from some company that supplies that telecomm industry. 

I see one on amazon, but its not sold by amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerPlay-6500-Multi-Tool-DataComm-Electrical/dp/B000BS6RQ2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Offline rtvolk

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 08:30:19 PM
Top work y'all! Just about two hours and the solution is presented! Let the hunt begin; main target, Paladin PT510, and secondary target, Power PocketPlier. Knowing me, I'll end up going after both!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 08:56:03 PM
I think you should be able to transfer a few of the tools from the Powerlock to the PT, leaving place for the pliers to fold.

And welcome to the forum. :waving:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 10:57:37 PM
About to pull the trigger in the PPP.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline rtvolk

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 10:59:41 PM
What're you waiting for man?! Need a push lol

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 12:41:57 PM
Is the Paladin a lesser quality brand, like Wenger to Victorinox?

Shh the Wenger posse will hear you and do unspeakable, R-rated things to you using a corkscrew  :ahhh

Not to derail here, but this sounds like loads of fun. When do we start ? Or is it possible that Corwyn just wants to do this to me and cleverly concealed his intentions in this thread. Knowing that I would find it... :think:

Stew
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 04:29:23 PM
There's also the "Deluxe" PPP, which has extra tools in the handles. This has the designation: SOG S45-N.

No useless plastic spacer washers in that baby. Several are on ebay at the moment, new, with BIN, about $40 will score one.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 09:53:26 PM
Don't forget that it is possible to buy SOG components separately, so depending on what you want to put into a Paladin PT-510 it may be cheaper to buy just the blades/drivers rather than a whole PPP.

Offline rtvolk

Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 01:45:12 AM

Don't forget that it is possible to buy SOG components separately, so depending on what you want to put into a Paladin PT-510 it may be cheaper to buy just the blades/drivers rather than a whole PPP.

I didn't know this. How? On the SOG site?

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 03:58:53 AM
Check Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They have 6 different tools for all SOG's on clearance at 99 cents each. I just ordered 10 tools as spares and current replacements, to spread the relatively high shipping cost around ($8.95 for 5 or 10 tools).
The tools are somewhat hard to find on the site, here are the part numbers of the tools I ordered today:
CP42TL
CP38TL
CP44TL
CP43TL
CP41TL
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:07:34 AM by neillcurrie »

Offline rtvolk

Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 05:12:21 AM

Check Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They have 6 different tools for all SOG's on clearance at 99 cents each. I just ordered 10 tools as spares and current replacements, to spread the relatively high shipping cost around ($8.95 for 5 or 10 tools).
The tools are somewhat hard to find on the site, here are the part numbers of the tools I ordered today:
CP42TL
CP38TL
CP44TL
CP43TL
CP41TL

Thanks mate! This is spot on

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00