Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

HEY GAMERS! Looking for a decent system for playing games on! Can you help?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Not sure if this is the right area to post this so if it isnt please move it.  Thx.

I am looking for a desktop system that will play some games like League of Legends and Final Fantasy 14 for my son.  Mainly in the video card area as I dont think they are that cpu intense so been looking at the Core i5's and AMD FX 6350 cpu's.  I guess he figures he want to get about 45-60 fps but not much lower and play on medium-medium high settings.  If that make sense!  :)

I dont have alot of money to spend on this so looking for a budget setup that will do that trick and then some for future.  I dont need top of the line but dont want the bottom of the line or bare minimum either!

Thx. in advance for any and all help!

P.S.  If anyone has a system like this that would work and be interested in working out a deal/trade of some sorts, please PM or email me at "mjp2k AT hotmail DOT com".

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
 :facepalm:    I dropped the ball and lost track of the promise I made to look into this.  I am sorry.

however,  as I am not a gamer, it is very hard target fps. 

let me see what I can find and get back in 30 minutes or so.  if you are lucky, a gamer will be along with a knowledgeable answer
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
this is the first time I have priced out a system,  and WOW, these new CPUs with built in graphics makes this not so straight forward any more.

a lot has changed in the past few years, and I see that I am not the person to do this.  I will say that a budget amount would help in deciding how to build it.  a price range tells the builder where to start.
If I can help, let me know 

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Hey,

I would recommend looking here http://www.pcper.com/hwlb it always updated and they seem to know what they are talking about.

I took several recommendations from there when I built this machine and it has yet to do anything but amaze me.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
:facepalm:    I dropped the ball and lost track of the promise I made to look into this.  I am sorry.

let me see what I can find and get back in 30 minutes or so.  if you are lucky, a gamer will be along with a knowledgeable answer

No worries as you said, you are not a gamer so dont worry about it.

I based the fps on my older son that plays games and has his set on 60fps but he also has much better system than I am currently in the market for!

@Smashie - I have looked at a ton of online forums, articles as they relate to each game I listed and of coarse got a lot of different answers so that is why I am asking the "gamers" out there to chime in!

Thx.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
League of Legends is really easy on PC's. The Internet connection is more likely to lag you out than the PC Specs... ow, or the nubish smurfing teammates  :rant:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!

No worries as you said, you are not a gamer so dont worry about it.

I based the fps on my older son that plays games and has his set on 60fps but he also has much better system than I am currently in the market for!

@Smashie - I have looked at a ton of online forums, articles as they relate to each game I listed and of coarse got a lot of different answers so that is why I am asking the "gamers" out there to chime in!

Thx.

I am a gamer and my rig averages 90fps with Wolfenstein, the new order, DayZ or watch dogs. Bear in mind that is over 3 1080p screens.

Pcper was by far the most reliable source of information and I wasn't reading the forums, I was reading the articles. They also explain the methodology behind their testing rather than just relying on "3dmark say this rocks"
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
League of Legends is really easy on PC's. The Internet connection is more likely to lag you out than the PC Specs... ow, or the nubish smurfing teammates  :rant:

I guess that is why my older son sets his at 60fps so it doesnt bottleneck the internet connection!  :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I can recommend the Asus ROG series of desktop computers. I tend to build my own, but once I priced the current system I have with one I could have built, it was cheaper to buy an OEM system.

http://www.asus.com/Desktops/ROG_TYTAN_G30AB/
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Bah, humbug! I'm sure Lynn and some others will agree with me on this.

Desktops are too small for gaming, you need a table top. Yes, solo play is kinda pointless, but the multiplayer mode is great for networking and independent of the grid- you don't even have to be online. There is no annual fee, the peripherals are universal and work for all games they are needed on, even if from other developers. And replay value is infinite and good ones have expansions. And even if there is an update, your existing material is never obsolete.

Toss the controller. Pick up the dice.  :D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
I've been eyeballing an Nvidia GTX 750 TI to add a bit more life to my now 5.5 year old PC (Q9300 core 2 quad) seems to be about the best bang for buck that I've seen, without going overboard in spending, plus it supposedly uses about half the power my current card (9600GT) uses with double or more performance in most areas.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
This is put on the back burner at this time so please close thread.

Thx.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD