Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Old Stone House and Block House.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Old Stone House and Block House.
on: September 29, 2014, 11:00:18 PM
I find it a bit particular that many residents don't even bother seeing the local historical sites. I include myself in that assessment. Here is a  historical site that I last visited back in 1983...and never re-visited until this past Saturday. I didn't even go to the grand opening of the new visitor center this past July. I had meant to, but never managed to make it. No excuses can be made for my not visiting this more often, especially considering that ever since I moved to Sault Ste Marie, I was always curious about a block house that was situated on the now defunct Ste. Mary's Paper Mill site. One day, the moved it to site next to the Old Stone House. I thought to myself...ok...maybe they will one day open it up and I can slake my curiosity. Well that move was back in 1996, and I just forgot about it, despite my driving by both buildings quite often.

Anyways, last Saturday, I banished some local historical demons.

Before we start...a little local history first.

http://www.saulttourism.com/the-sault/index.aspx?l=0,21,22,25

So as mentioned, a new visitor center was built and opened this past summer. Considering that there was no visitor center prior to this one, it was a big event. One I wanted to attend but ultimately missed. When I told this fact to one employee, she told me I was smart as it was standing room only at that time. Much better to see now than back then. I could see her point.

The new visitor center consisted of 4 major sections. First was the central greeting room. Of to the side was a nice theater. In the back was a souvenir shop, and at the front of the building, a small info/museum section.

As you walk into the visitor center entry, this full wall mural greets you.

On the opposite side, was this nice sculpture just before the entrance to the info/museum room.

Let's go see the museum/info section. As you can see, more info than museum, even though they did have a few key period pieces. Mostly information wall and free standing panels. It was informative, and very well done

Next to see was the small theater. They show a 20 minute video regarding the local history of both buildings which are onsite. The theater is one of those with special effects via multiple projectors, lighting effects, and even smoke machines used during the showing.

I didn't take any photos of the souvenir shop. I did find a mini collection of Hudson Bay Victorinox knives, a wallet and Timex watch there however...so it was a great find for myself.

On the way out, this nice informative panel on Ojibway sacred plants. The whole visitor center had such info displays all over it.

Exiting the rear of the new visitor center, you see the Old Stone House, with the block house to the right of it.

Because I had a burning desire to finally see the inside of the blockhouse, I went to that attraction first.

The bottom of the blockhouse is older than the top which was added in the late 1800's by Sir Francis H Clergue, an American who basically brought industrialization to the Sault with the addition of Algoma Steel, and numerous other ventures, some of which still exist today.

As I mentioned before, I couldn't understand why the blockhouse sat neglected for years upon years. When I moved to this city at the tender age of 7, I have always wanted to see it, despite it being on Ste. Mary's Paper Mill property. I guess it suffered from a fire in the 70's and nobody wanted to save it until the late 90s, when it was moved to its present location. Many years of repair ensued until it was open to the public. I finally got to take a look inside. :D

The bottom part which is the oldest, was divided by Clergue into two rooms. This is the far room on the first floor.

When you first enter, this is the first room you see...I guess it is the foyer.

Here is the stairs up from the front foyer.

Upstairs, there is a large main room with 3 smaller rooms on one side with doors. The middle smaller side room is the bedroom.

Inside the bedroom were some older items on display .

The main room has a big fireplace.

Another view of the main room upstairs.

View of the stairs from the top floor.

And that is about it for the blockhouse which Clergue made into his residence.

Now onto the Old Stone House.

The Old Stone House was the first stone building built in the area by an independent fur trader Charles Oakes Ermatinger who worked for the NorthWest Fur Company. It is the city's oldest building by a long shot, built in 1814. This is the site that greets you as you enter the main entrance.

The main floor has 4 large rooms with a central hallway that also contains the stairs up and down to the basement.

Now up to the second story. The second floor mimics the first in floor plan.

Attached at the back of the house is the kitchen. Originally, this was a separate outbuilding, but sometime between the last time I visited the Old Stone House, a causeway was built between them.

In the basement, were these two large round displays containing some archaeological findings.

The basement also had a few more displays.

Outside of the kitchen proper, was this outdoor kitchen area.

Walking around the building,

And to finish our tour of the Old Stone House, and Blockhouse, a view of the front lawn showing the Bushplane Museum across the road, with Ste. Mary's river in the background.

:salute:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: The Old Stone House and Block House.
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:05 PM
Thank you for the tour, Chako :salute:, I enjoyed it. Funny, the four colours on the memorabilia.

I'm one of those residents that don't visit (as) much (as I could). I guess the sites are taken for granted or prehaps boring. Still, I'm glad they're there.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 11:30:54 PM
Ha! I would have never guessed that. You learn something every day.

:cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 09:06:14 AM
Great pics Chako, really enjoyed looking through them - thanks :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:59 AM
You are most welcome.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85