Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Mod - School Friendly Gerber Octane

Offline Migripper

First Mod - School Friendly Gerber Octane
on: October 03, 2014, 03:55:57 AM
I am an elementary Physical Education teacher.  Working in the schools means no knife.  Working in an elementary school means nothing sharp either so I modded my Gerber Octane to be knifeless.  Heres what I did followed by some pictures.

Removed the knife along with the liner lock and blade cover.  Ground off a small piece of metal that was related to the knife.  Rounded the tip and dulled the package opener.  It is now a box opener.  Opens a box very eaisely but is safe to the touch.

So far I realy like it.  It has what I need at work and nothing I don't. I have no need for bottle openers, can openers, saws, awls, etc. Its also very thin and light with the knife removed. I mainly need a MT at work for fixing jewlery that kids have that broke, glasses, carts for my phys ed equipment and opening boxes.  It will also be nice that if I go somewhere straight from work I will always have a MT with me.

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 225.97 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 221.39 KB)

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Re: First Mod - School Friendly Gerber Octane
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 04:45:26 AM
Very nice!  :multi:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 05:03:22 AM
 :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 06:09:47 AM
That's a no nonsense mt right there! It would have been hard to not have any tools on you all day. I Bet you had to get creative with office supplies before this huh.
I like that the drivers on this model are longer than most other  gerbers

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:28:08 AM
I'd often wondered if that was possible. Very nice mate :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:03:28 AM
Nice work  :tu:

I too have been trying to come up with a mod for he Octane to make it knifeless. I have been searching for scissors that can replace the blade, but to no avail. So far I have removed the blade and guard as you did, and swapped the Phillips for one off a battered old MP700 as the tip of the driver is better formed. The driver doesn't lock out as well (has a bit of up/down wobble due to larger pivot size) but as it sits in screws better, the net result is an improvement.  I've also looked at putting the tweezers in off the MP700 too. Mine needs more work before it's official launch though  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:44:45 PM
really nice work! :tu:

I especially like the way you modified the package opener to make it a box opener (and much more school-friendly). :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 09:07:14 PM
Great job. :cheers:

BTW, the Skeletool with the blade removed also works excellent for school carry. And you get a bit driver too. :tu: If you find some sort of scissors to fit in the blade slot, even better. :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:40:09 PM
That looks like a very clean mod!

I'll bet in a pinch the package opener could probably do most of the stuff you need the blade for anyway, so probably not really much of a loss.

Good job! From the pics it looks like it came from the factory like that.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 06:31:54 PM
If you no longer need the blade cover, may I have it?
I ordered one in red but like to swap the cover to black... I don't like colorful MTs.
Or maybe easier just polish the red anodized off?

Offline Migripper

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 10:33:33 PM
Thanks all, it has already come in handy!

That's a no nonsense mt right there! It would have been hard to not have any tools on you all day. I Bet you had to get creative with office supplies before this huh.
I like that the drivers on this model are longer than most other  gerbers

Yes, i have used scissors as pliers many times.

Great job. :cheers:

BTW, the Skeletool with the blade removed also works excellent for school carry. And you get a bit driver too. :tu: If you find some sort of scissors to fit in the blade slot, even better. :tu:

I agree, the skeletool would work great too.  I just happened to have the octane already and it was just sitting in the glove compartment doing nothing.
My ideal factory made teacher model would be the skeletool with round nose scissors where the blade is now.  Although at an elementary school we are already surrounded by safety scissors!

If you no longer need the blade cover, may I have it?
I ordered one in red but like to swap the cover to black... I don't like colorful MTs.
Or maybe easier just polish the red anodized off?

Sure thing, just message me your address.  You can have the blade too if you want it for another project.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 10:39:16 PM
 :drink:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:49:57 PM
BTW, what is your local regulation on school ground knife carry?

Offline Migripper

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:33 AM

Not sure what it is, but since I am an employee I also have to abide by the employee handbook which says no knives.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 01:14:45 AM

Not sure what it is, but since I am an employee I also have to abide by the employee handbook which says no knives.
Ok then, I was going to suggest that you shorten the blade to less than "X" inch to stay legal.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:51 PM
Nice work  :tu:

I too have been trying to come up with a mod for he Octane to make it knifeless. I have been searching for scissors that can replace the blade, but to no avail. So far I have removed the blade and guard as you did, and swapped the Phillips for one off a battered old MP700 as the tip of the driver is better formed. The driver doesn't lock out as well (has a bit of up/down wobble due to larger pivot size) but as it sits in screws better, the net result is an improvement.  I've also looked at putting the tweezers in off the MP700 too. Mine needs more work before it's official launch though  :D

I gave up trying to fit my Octane with scissors, and followed the OP's lead instead. I snapped off the blade stop with pliers, and filed it down with the diamond file on an XE6. I left the MP700 Phillips driver in even though it bobbles about a bit, as I find it still works better than the original Phillips. It would have been nice to get a bushing for the pivot hole, but that's more messing around than I'm prepared to do. I did also look at fitting the tweezers from the same MP700, but it's not really practical.

With Pliers, full 3D Phillips, and the other two tools, it's a good companion tool to a SAK with scissors. Plus, it is even slimmer in the pocket that the original Octane format .... which was pretty bloody slim to start with  ;) For SAKs that don't have Scissors, my modded MP400, modded Kick, modded orange Fuse or modded PST will fill the role instead :D

... and I still think the Octane's bottle opener is one of the best in the biz   :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD