Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Glow-in-the-dark dots on analog watch

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Glow-in-the-dark dots on analog watch
on: October 03, 2014, 11:04:12 PM
Let me be honest: I'm only in this part of the forum, because I need help; looking at threads with watches and different gadgets is just too bad for my economy.  :whistle:

Now, to the point... I've got a 7 year old Inex watch, that was given to me on my 18th birthday. For that reason alone, I of course want to keep it in good shape. However, I've noticed some of the GITD-dots at the hour-marks has started to come off. In the beginning, it wasn't a problem; the hands aren't GITD anyway, so the dots were mostly just a gimmick. However, one of them has now gotten itself stuck on one of the hands, in the center of the watch; as far as I can see, it's stuck to the minute-hand.

Earlier, I've been able to move the dots around, by shaking the watch, but this one is persistent - no matter what I do (with a good conscience), it just doesn't move. Earlier today, that resulted in my watch stopping. I gave it a good shake and it started going again - for about 10 seconds and then stopped again. Right now it's going fine, but I have a feeling that this will happen again, so I'm hoping that one of you guys and girls have a good suggestion as to what I could do about it.
I've tried taking the watch apart, but I can't figure out how to remove the stem, in order to get the inner workings out of the crown.
Going to a watch-maker would be my last resort, as those kinda people are pricey as smurf! I don't even dare thinking about what it'd cost, if they should do it, let alone how long they would have to keep it.
Also, if I were to get it open, I could be tempted to add some GITD-paint to the watch-hands; another reason not to go to a watch-maker.

tl;dr - Need to know how to either remove the stem from this particular watch (which I don't know the model of) or a plausible way of removing a GITD-dot from the watch-hands.

Thanks for reading. :)

EDIT: Of course, I hadn't thought about "wiggling" the minute-hand, by way of the stem.  ::) The GITD-dot is now loose, along with 3 other dots in total. So I guess what I need to know now, is how to remove the stem, so I can either remove or re-fasten the 4 dots to where they belong.
2014-10-03 22.49.11.jpg
* 2014-10-03 22.49.11.jpg (Filesize: 133.46 KB)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:07:31 PM by Freaver »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Re: Glow-in-the-dark dots on analog watch
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 01:15:59 AM
You can find some video tutorials on Youtube on how to open the watch. I'm quite sure you need to unscrew a small screw inside to release the crown. Tip: get a magnifier.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:17:09 AM
Sometimes there is a small catch tab you need to push with a pin or toothpick, have a look at some of the search results here...  https://www.google.com.au/search?q=removing+watch+stem

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:55:16 PM
reattaching the dots will most likely not work as they consist of dried out luminous paint.
I would, depending on how ambitious you are, either remove all the dots or remove and replace them.
You will have to open the watch, remove the movement and carefully work on the dial.

A pic of the watches back would help on advising how to open it.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 09:14:51 PM
You can find some video tutorials on Youtube on how to open the watch. I'm quite sure you need to unscrew a small screw inside to release the crown. Tip: get a magnifier.
When I opened it, I think there were 3 small slotted screws - too small for any of my screwdrivers.

Sometimes there is a small catch tab you need to push with a pin or toothpick, have a look at some of the search results here...  https://www.google.com.au/search?q=removing+watch+stem
I've been searching at pretty much the same thing; the only thing I discovered, was that the stem is usually either locked by a tab in a small notch or by a screw, but I haven't been able to find either and since I don't know the model of the watch, it gets close to impossible...

reattaching the dots will most likely not work as they consist of dried out luminous paint.
I would, depending on how ambitious you are, either remove all the dots or remove and replace them.
You will have to open the watch, remove the movement and carefully work on the dial.

A pic of the watches back would help on advising how to open it.
And that pretty much does it for me - I'm guessing by "remove the movement" you mean I have to remove the hands, right? Or do you mean the crown?

BTW, I've been wearing the watch all day and haven't had any problems at all - seems like the dots have bunched up at five o'clock. I guess I'll just let it be for now, and slowly learn about the inner workings and try to find the model-number, so I'm ready the next time it starts acting up.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:04:53 PM
You only need to remove the crown,there is usually a little button you push in to remove the crown,i would be tempted to use super glue to stick it back on, :tu:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:41:16 PM by Zed »

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 10:38:03 PM
This is the first I've heard of such a unique problem with a timepiece. I hope you don't have to remove the hands. Did you figure out how to get the case open?
SAW

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 11:04:23 PM
If I understand the OP correctly, he had the watch open already.
If possible, take a pic of the movement, the watch-nerds here will hopefully be able to show where to find teh push tab/lock screw for the crown.
You will have to take off the crown and take the movement out of the case, but the hands can stay in place.
Zeds sugestion might work if the Glow dots are still in one piece.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 12:11:36 AM
I'll see if I can get it open again tomorrow and snap some pics of it - I don't think I have any tools at home that'll fit the back of the case... Whenever I opened it, to change the battery, I've used a caliper to grab and turn the back. Not ideal, but it works.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 09:26:28 AM
Ok, so it is a screw-in back.
Usually, you can use a ball of duct tape, sticky side out, the size of a tennis ball to unscrew the back. put it on and turn the ball.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 10:27:01 AM
Have you tried a ball of blue tac ?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99