Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Benchmade Griptillian, unimpressed.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Benchmade Griptillian, unimpressed.
on: October 04, 2014, 12:09:07 AM
   So I got my Benchmade Griptillian in today and first impressions are poor. I was really hoping to love this knife, but it's not looking good. We will start off with the good. I love the blade shape and the grip is comfortable in the hand. The knife is buttery smooth when opening. That's about it for the good.  ::) Now the bad. The grippy portion on the butt of the handle is very uncomfortable when the knife is clipped into the pocket and you reach into your pocket. It rubs on the side of my hand and is uncomfortable. The axis lock gets stuck when the blade is flicked open with any amount of force. The blade centering is way off and the pocket clip barely touches the handle on one corner of the clip. I'm not sure if it is the clip being bent or if it is because of the shape of the handle. Either way i'm pissed about it as if it is the clip it should not of left the factory like that. If it is just the design then they should of made a flat smooth portion for the pocket clip to rest on like other companies do. Their is also side to side blade wobble.
   I was going to order a custom Griptillian, but i'm glad I waited as I have most likely changed my mind. For the $115 price tag the clip and blade centering is just unacceptable. I am much more impressed with the fit and finish of my $30 Kershaw CQC-4K even when price is not considered. When price is considered Benchmade should be ashamed. I really wan't to love this knife, but come on Benchmade. Your fit and finish as well as design is nothing compared to $30 knives. I will keep the Griptillian as maybe my opinion will change, but the blade centering is never going to change and I tried to correct the clip problem with no avail so those issues are here to stay and those where the two that pissed me off the most. 

I'm the milk man!

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: Benchmade Griptillian, unimpressed.
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:36:15 AM
you might want to consider contacting their warranty dept., captain. :-\ the only Benchmade I have is a Mini Grip, but the blade centering is perfect and it does not have the clip issue that your pictures show.

hopefully some other Benchmade owners will chime in, but I'm guessing that yours is the exception and not the norm. sorry you got one that slipped through QC.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:38:02 AM
you might want to consider contacting their warranty dept., captain. :-\ the only Benchmade I have is a Mini Grip, but the blade centering is perfect and it does not have the clip issue that your pictures show.

hopefully some other Benchmade owners will chime in, but I'm guessing that yours is the exception and not the norm. sorry you got one that slipped through QC.

Yea it seems like I always get the one that slipped through quality control.  :(
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 12:39:24 AM
I have a griptillian and the blade is perfectly centered.  Its my most favorite of the modern folder types Ive tried and I love the thing.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 12:46:30 AM
I think I took the pic on an angle, but the tip is perfectly centered

IMG_7789.JPG
* IMG_7789.JPG (Filesize: 156.45 KB)
IMG_7790.JPG
* IMG_7790.JPG (Filesize: 282.87 KB)
IMG_7791.JPG
* IMG_7791.JPG (Filesize: 166.2 KB)
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 12:53:45 AM
Oh wow Capt, that's far from what I thought I'd be reading about your thoughts!  I'd definitely contact them, as I thought this was supposed to be a top notch knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 12:53:59 AM
Is your clip the same or does it make full contact?
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 12:55:27 AM
The clip wont sit on both sides on the scale since the scale is curved and the clip is flat.  Its easily bent though if it bugged you it wouldnt be a hard fix.  I never even noticed until you pointed that out, but the blade off center would bug me and I wouldnt accept that.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 01:10:53 AM
The clip wont sit on both sides on the scale since the scale is curved and the clip is flat.  Its easily bent though if it bugged you it wouldnt be a hard fix.  I never even noticed until you pointed that out, but the blade off center would bug me and I wouldnt accept that.

I figured it might be the shape of the scale. That is even more a bummer as you would think Benchmade would just make a small flat area for the pocket clip to sit in like many other companies do.

I guess I could try and fix the blade centering myself, but anytime I do that I can never get the smooth open/closing feel back so I do not even want to mess with it.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 01:24:44 AM
   I sent a e-mail to Benchmade as well as the place I ordered it from. I'm sure if they do anything they will wan't me to send it in for a replacement or repair. I honestly am not going to do either as it will be the same run around as always. I ask for a paid shipping label since I do not feel I should have to pay to send in a knife I received defective. They say they do not send paid shipping labels. I go higher up and bitch until they say they will do it. I send in the knife and wait forever to get it back. I don't even wan't to carry it when I get it back.
   I'm most likely going to just carry it and deal with the crap myself. Maybe I will get custom scales and try and fix the clip and blade centering issue myself.  :think:
   I feel like i'm always disappointed about my more expensive purchases. Is it just me having unrealistic expectations or do I just have bad luck?
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 01:32:19 AM
Sorry to hear you're unhappy with it Cap'n :-\ I know what it's like to get something badly made when you've paid a lot of money for it (Leatherman  :rant:) I'd talk to them and see what their actual stance is on both issues.

It might be as Syph said that they just say "that's how it is" with the clip, but offer to fix the centering which means you won't risk ruining the smooth walk on the blade. See what they say, and then make your decision. Chances are your predictions are right, but an email conversation doesn't cost anything

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 01:58:41 AM
. that sucks captain.

I had a 551 grip in orange I also really wanted to like

My biggest two issues were it felt plasticy to me
 You know I like my frn knives but there was just something about the fat orange" my favorite color" handle that made it feel cheap . The second reason it didn't work was it's to fat to sit on. I back pocket carry "normally some sort of spyderco" it literally was a pain in the a~~.

I got to use a mini griptilan for a few days. I liked it. Nice size, shape for lightweight edc but kinda spendy for what you get.

Now you know why i spyderco  :salute:

OK I have two benchmades. One is special to me and the other was a gift . Both flawless.  32 531
Defend the Hive!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 02:14:33 AM
. that sucks captain.

I had a 551 grip in orange I also really wanted to like

My biggest two issues were it felt plasticy to me
 You know I like my frn knives but there was just something about the fat orange" my favorite color" handle that made it feel cheap . The second reason it didn't work was it's to fat to sit on. I back pocket carry "normally some sort of spyderco" it literally was a pain in the a~~.

I got to use a mini griptilan for a few days. I liked it. Nice size, shape for lightweight edc but kinda spendy for what you get.

Now you know why i spyderco  :salute:

OK I have two benchmades. One is special to me and the other was a gift . Both flawless.  32 531

I definitely could not see carrying a Griptillian in a back pocket. I get what you mean about the handles. I am all for FRN, but the Griptillians handles do seem to have a cheaper feel to the for some reason. I'm not complaining though as I knew that going into buying it. Benchmade does not use FRN for the Griptillian. Maybe that's why. The Griptillian does seem like it is overpriced by about $50. For cheaper than I paid for the Griptillian I got my Paramilitary II and I feel like I got much, much more knife for the money. Not to mention the Para II has a S30V blade. Like I said before I was going to buy a custom Griptillian from Benchmade, but will be looking into something else now. Either that or get some custom scales for the Griptillian, but that would void my warranty.  :think:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:16:04 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 02:37:40 AM
I've not handled a Griptillian or a mini so I can't really speak to this knife, however I am not a fan of the looks.  Sorry to hear yours didn't impress and I don't think your asking too much.  A blade should be centered and it should come sharp.  The flat pocket clip and the curvature of the handles dont look to be a huge issue but I can see why at $100+ we all can expect more. 

I'm not a bug fan of trying to "fix" issues but for any possible hassles I tend to make adjustments to be further irritated. 

I hope you get it all sorted out Capt.       
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 02:46:03 AM
I've not handled a Griptillian or a mini so I can't really speak to this knife, however I am not a fan of the looks.  Sorry to hear yours didn't impress and I don't think your asking too much.  A blade should be centered and it should come sharp.  The flat pocket clip and the curvature of the handles dont look to be a huge issue but I can see why at $100+ we all can expect more. 

I'm not a bug fan of trying to "fix" issues but for any possible hassles I tend to make adjustments to be further irritated. 

I hope you get it all sorted out Capt.     

Thanks. Honestly i'm not going to send it in and am just going to live with it how it is. I don't wan't to deal with all the back and forth and the waiting and worrying about it getting lost in the mail. Maybe if something ever happens in the future and I need to send it in for warranty work or a blade replacement or possibly sending it in for a sharpening or whatever they can adjust the blade centering, but I am just going to try and enjoy it now and not worry about it.

I'm the milk man!

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 05:31:31 AM
No griptilians here...but within the last 2 years I have obtained a 470, 940, and most recently a 707. Thoroughly impressed with each. Good lockup, perfect blade centering, broke in easy with minor tweaks for blade wobble issues on the 940. I say this not to irritate, but to say you may have got a piece that slipped through QC.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 05:48:54 AM

Sorry to hear about that.

Griptillian is one of the first few knives when I started, and both the regular and mini were exciting for me for a long while.  But as I discovered other brand, the passion subsides a little and I think it is decent but could be overpriced for the F&F and overall quality.  I now think the Enzo Birk 75 beat most my the few Grips I owed, both F&F and material, at the similar price point.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 04:40:37 PM
Wow, what a cold water shower! I've always heard people talk wonders about Benchmade. I thought about putting it in my wishlist but I think I'll just leave the Ontario RAT-1, Spyderco Delica and the like...

Hope you can some how have these issues fixed!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 07:56:31 PM
You got a lemon Cap.
Send it back.

I am a Benchamde fan but I never liked the Griptillian, it grip feels too hollow & too gripy .
But it is a very popular entry level Benchamde.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 09:07:57 PM
You got a lemon Cap.
Send it back.

^ditto.

My first tactical folder was a 551 Grip in black. No centering issues, never had a problem with the clip (never checked for flat since it always held well). Can't say I loved the scales. Will probably get custom ones if I ever decide to carry it again.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 09:16:07 PM
I got a response from the dealer I bought it from. They said they would be happy to exchange it for another. I requested a shipping label to send it back. We will see what they say.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 11:12:02 PM
Not a knife but I had a similar experience with my new iPad. I had to exchange the first one because of issues with its storage. The new one works great and I couldn't be happier :tu:
SAW

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 05:49:18 AM
I'm so sorry that your birthday knife didn't work out. I hope that you can get a new one that solves the blade issue. I must say though that the griptilian's blade shape is :drool:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 06:55:58 AM
We will see what they say about the shipping.  :think:

I know, I love the blade shape.  :drool:
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline cedricada

Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 04:32:32 AM
My holy grail knife is a 940 osbourne. But pretty much impossible to get into australia. Our customs dont like the axis lock. One day I will go to America and bring one back with me in my suitcase.

Benchmade gets mixed reviews for its QC, but luckily, gets good writeups about warranty and customer service.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 06:04:44 AM
My holy grail knife is a 940 osbourne. But pretty much impossible to get into australia. Our customs dont like the axis lock. One day I will go to America and bring one back with me in my suitcase.

Benchmade gets mixed reviews for its QC, but luckily, gets good writeups about warranty and customer service.

I am fixated on this knife myself.  I love the look of the green and purple back spacer. 
I'll get one sooner rather than later but  the dog gone price is pretty high. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline cedricada

Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 06:29:42 AM

I am fixated on this knife myself.  I love the look of the green and purple back spacer. 

I just love everything about it. The blade shape, premium steel, those smooth green handles. The 940-1 with carbon fiber looks pretty awesome, too. I've never owned a high cost folder, I usually use a Cold Steel Tuff lite, or a Leatherman C33. I'm not a big collector of knives (unlike MTs) so when I get one, I'll use it to death I think!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 07:16:34 PM

I just love everything about it. The blade shape, premium steel, those smooth green handles. The 940-1 with carbon fiber looks pretty awesome, too. I've never owned a high cost folder, I usually use a Cold Steel Tuff lite, or a Leatherman C33. I'm not a big collector of knives (unlike MTs) so when I get one, I'll use it to death I think!

The 940-1 is a sick little knife. Super light weight, beautiful smooth CF scales and open construction with the blue anodized barrel spacers. It's my gentleman's folder for off-work carry (when I feel like carrying a dedicated folder that is). Pricey as all get out, but a very nice piece to :drool: over.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 01:45:08 AM
Well I wrote both Benchmade and the dealer I bought the Griptillian through this past Saturday. I got a response the same day from the dealer and I told them I would accept a replacement if they picked up the shipping cost. They did not respond today. I have also heard nothing from Benchmade at all. I know it has only been a few days, but Benchmade says on their website they respond within 24 hours and you would think if I was communicating with the dealer on Saturday they would of got back to me on Monday. I guess not. Just letting you guys know what's going on.
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 02:16:02 AM
hmmm...I better check my griptillian...I didn't really check it when I got it as it went into beater mode right after I took it out of the box. lets see. I they replace yours with a better one
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD