Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Benchmade Griptillian, unimpressed.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Benchmade Griptillian, unimpressed.
Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 08:35:30 AM
WTF. I have been making custom Griptilians for fun on Benchmades website and their system has been glitching out since I have been using it. Some times it will not let you adjust the etching on the blade and when you do finally get it to work it changes the picture on the blade by itself and/or adds the image of the other saved knives on top of each other. Not only does this piss me off, but if I wanted to order a custom Griptilian I could not even do it. I have been messing with it for a week and it's been smurfed up the whole time. If they wan't people to spend money then have your website working correctly.  :twak: Sorry to be so negative, but Benchmade has been pissing me off from every angle. First with the crap Griptilian they sen't me. Then with not responding to my pocket clip request. Then with not responding to my email about the Griptilian. Now I can't even buy a custom Griptilian because the website is glitching out. I am really wanting to love the Griptilian and Benchmade as a company and give them more of my money, but they are making it very hard and literally impossible to do so.  :bnghd:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 12:21:46 PM
I'm not getting any glitching when making up custom grips, keep trying buddy.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 03:19:55 PM
Maybe a browser setting issue? Not sure what they are running the customizer on, but it could be that the browser and configuration you are using is not aligning nicely.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 09:02:50 PM
It does not happen immediately, but once you make multiple knives and save them then pull them back up to edit or just to look at the design they start to layer and change what you have done.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 11:45:12 PM
Update:

Communications with the customer service at the dealer I bought the knife from stopped. I heard nothing for 3 days or so. I decided to call and actually got the lady on the phone that I spoke with through e-mail. She informed me since I carried the knife once they could not return it because it could not be re sold. I said thank you and hung up. I got to thinking about what she said and they are saying they would knowingly re sell a knife that came defective. I had to dig a little deeper so I decided to call back and speak with a supervisor. I expressed my concern about what I was told and how as a customer I feel weary of buying from them if they are re selling products that are knowingly defective. He told me they would not do this and if they receive a defective item as a return they will send it through the warranty department at its respective company and once returned re sell the knife. Now I have no idea if this is true and even if it is I do not know how I feel about it as he told me they sell knives that are sent in for warranty work as new. They may be new in the sense, but have been back to the factory to fix a defect and should be sold as such in my opinion.
   I tried to contact Benchmade directly and waited on hold for a good 10 minutes and hung up. I called back again and got a hold of a very nice customer service representative. He asked what was wrong and informed me of ways to possibly fix it myself, but his suggestion was to send it in so they could make everything right. I informed him I have no ability to print the return form and I also requested a paid shipping label. Without hesitation he offered to send a copy of the form as well as the paid shipping label to me which should be here in a few days.
   I asked him about the volume of knives they see for this issue and he told me it was not many, but I know this to be untrue as after doing some research last night the blade centering issue has been common as of late on Benchmades in a range of different models. The clip issue has also been a know issue as well. I'm not ragging on the guy as he has been the most helpful thus far and it is very much appreciated.
   I called Benchmade back as I forgot to mention my issues with the build a knife program on their website. They informed me their had been some glitches as of last week, but they had not heard of any glitches like I was describing. They took my log in information and are having the IT guy look into it and will get back to me.
   As of right now I am happy with Benchmade's customer service, but this is only half the battle. We will see what I get back from the warranty department. I am not happy with Benchmades current quality control and their are many threads online about these issues. I am also not happy about Benchmades MAP pricing as it has driven up Benchmades product cost to the consumer 33% while quality control has been dropping (from what I read).
   Either way I am on the fence about buying more Benchmade products. I really wan't to love the company, but finding out about the MAP pricing (which many other companies also do) and most importantly the recent drop in quality while increase in price rubs me the wrong way. I really do wan't to order a custom and give them another shot. I guess time will tell. I will keep you guys updated.
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 12:56:30 PM

Except for the clip and blade centering, Your knife looks awesome Cap! With military green scales
and black blade PE..  :drool:

No issues on my Benchmades, and I love them!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:50:20 PM by Teofilo »

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 10:04:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem with the Grippi, Mr. Spaulding.

I´ve used the Grippie for about five years of my life in the active service at police department. Now I have an office job and the Grippie is at home at its retirement. I loved this piece of equipment. It cut almost everything with it. It just served me well. Later on I switched to the Spydie PM2, which was great as well.
The steel sharpened great and hold the edge quite long. I´ve never had any quality issues with it.

I hope you´ll get a good one and it will serve you well for many years.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 10:30:17 PM
Too bad to hear that issue with the griptilian

I want to know how it ends   :popcorn:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:47 PM
Too bad to hear that issue with the griptilian

I want to know how it ends   :popcorn:

I just sen't it out today so hopefully I have it back soon. I will let you guys know what happens.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 10:46:19 AM
Benchmade just received my knife today. Well yesterday technically. We will see how fast I get it back.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline gunga

Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 01:03:51 AM
I recently got a mini grip from a friend in trade.  Had the same centring and clip issues.  I used to have a couple other mini grips.  Same clip issues, maybe centring.  I don't think this is unique at all.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 01:49:18 AM
I recently got a mini grip from a friend in trade.  Had the same centring and clip issues.  I used to have a couple other mini grips.  Same clip issues, maybe centring.  I don't think this is unique at all.

It would seem the clip not touching is just because of the scale shape and (in my opinion) poor design. The centering also seems to be very common, but still unacceptable. Benchmades prices go up and quality control goes down. I feel like I sound like a broken record, but most knife and tool companies are having these issues. They rather produce less superior products and charge more to maximize profits and screw you on both ends of the spectrum then make a fair amount of profit and produce a superior product. Pisses me off.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 09:01:36 AM

It would seem the clip not touching is just because of the scale shape and (in my opinion) poor design. The centering also seems to be very common, but still unacceptable. Benchmades prices go up and quality control goes down. I feel like I sound like a broken record, but most knife and tool companies are having these issues. They rather produce less superior products and charge more to maximize profits and screw you on both ends of the spectrum then make a fair amount of profit and produce a superior product. Pisses me off.

I wouldn't be surprised in this day and age, that many manufacturers are having to take any shortcuts they can just to make any profit at all. Steel prices are always a dynamic factor, as are energy prices for powering machines and for heat treatment. Inflation matching wage increases, rents, tooling, logistics, litigation ... the list of year on year cost increases for manufacturers goes on and on. I bet the dealers have better margins than the makers do. Doesn't help the user much, I know - but I can see both sides of the fence, and it's not easy for either party right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying sloppiness is acceptable, but I expect we'll see this trend continue with larger manufacturers for a while yet

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 10:18:45 AM

I wouldn't be surprised in this day and age, that many manufacturers are having to take any shortcuts they can just to make any profit at all. Steel prices are always a dynamic factor, as are energy prices for powering machines and for heat treatment. Inflation matching wage increases, rents, tooling, logistics, litigation ... the list of year on year cost increases for manufacturers goes on and on. I bet the dealers have better margins than the makers do. Doesn't help the user much, I know - but I can see both sides of the fence, and it's not easy for either party right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying sloppiness is acceptable, but I expect we'll see this trend continue with larger manufacturers for a while yet

I would respectfully disagree, but it is just my opinion and I really have no way to know either way. What really gets me is the MAP pricing going into effect. Benchmade knives cost rose 33% to the customer. That's a huge increase. Now the pricing is one thing and if quality stayed the same then it is what it is, but introducing MAP pricing and letting quality control go to crap is a whole other problem. I just personally don't see how they could be struggling to make profit. Without knowing what they make the knives for and what they sell them to the dealers for it is hard to say how much profit they realistically make, but with a hugely successful knife company you would think they would know how to run a profitable business. I could be completely wrong. I don't know.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 10:29:50 AM

I would respectfully disagree, but it is just my opinion and I really have no way to know either way. What really gets me is the MAP pricing going into effect. Benchmade knives cost rose 33% to the customer. That's a huge increase. Now the pricing is one thing and if quality stayed the same then it is what it is, but introducing MAP pricing and letting quality control go to crap is a whole other problem. I just personally don't see how they could be struggling to make profit. Without knowing what they make the knives for and what they sell them to the dealers for it is hard to say how much profit they realistically make, but with a hugely successful knife company you would think they would know how to run a profitable business. I could be completely wrong. I don't know.

You're quite right, without knowing their actual manufacturing cost per piece and their wholesale prices, it's all guesswork. My comments/opinions are based on working in manufacturing for many years (other products) seeing the pressures and rising costs involved, and looking at the general trends out there in the market with knives and tools.The recent changes to the Juice and Surge spring to mind, along with the move to OPMT and the Sidekick and Wingan. I dare say they're not all finding it as hard as each other, but I'd hate to think I was trying to run this kind of business right now. I could easily have got the wrong impression though  :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #45 on: October 16, 2014, 10:31:08 AM
People buy them, so they sell them..

Maybe the extra cost covers the extra amount neded for refunds/repais etc. due to the low quality..  :)  There are huge threads on BF about that, by the way.

I have never owned or wanted to own a Benchmade, so I am talking in general here.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 11:56:41 AM
People buy them, so they sell them..

Maybe the extra cost covers the extra amount neded for refunds/repais etc. due to the low quality..  :)  There are huge threads on BF about that, by the way.

I have never owned or wanted to own a Benchmade, so I am talking in general here.

Possibly. That would be a horrible way to run a business though. It just makes your products look like crap and puts all the strain on the customer. Just make it correct in the first place and its all the same.
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 12:59:02 PM

I don't know too much about knife economics, but judging from the recent MAP enforcement, I'd say the (certain) dealers seem to have strong influence over the BM. 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 09:40:54 PM

I don't know too much about knife economics, but judging from the recent MAP enforcement, I'd say the (certain) dealers seem to have strong influence over the BM.

Why do you say that. It's more like Benchmade has influence over the dealers. Benchmade has the upper hand in my opinion.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 09:47:48 PM

Why do you say that. It's more like Benchmade has influence over the dealers. Benchmade has the upper hand in my opinion.

My understanding (and I might be wrong) is that it ensures the manufacturer does it to minimise pressure from the larger dealers to drop prices further than they can bear to allow. The MAP ensures the larger dealers are happy and get big buck profit without having to driving the price from the manufacturer through the floor completely in order to compete with a smaller dealer who would otherwise accept a much smaller margin

.... or something like that
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:56:23 PM by 50ft-trad »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: October 16, 2014, 10:19:19 PM
Sounds correct. The problem is those "much smaller dealers" get rubbed out and no longer carry Benchmades products. It screws the smaller dealers and mom and pop shops. I remember reading something about minimum products that must be carried by any dealer of Benchmade knives from ALL their lines of knives which includes their "gold class" knives. I believe their gold class knives start at around $500. Again, all it does is make the smaller shops not be able to carry ANY Benchmade products because they cannot afford to carry a full line of ALL their knives.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Wheeljack

Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 02:44:06 AM
Hopefully your situation works out to your satisfaction, but I would say I agree with the thread title - I've never been impressed with the Benchmades I've seen either. Maybe I'm not seeing the "good" ones, I don't know. I have a buddy who is way into Benchmade and snags every one he can get at pawn shops if the price is right, and I've never liked any of them.

I'm admittedly not a big folder guy anyway - I like fixed knives. I do have a couple of Spyderco folders that I like, but they aren't perfect either - there are a couple of things I wish they would have done better.

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 03:16:01 AM
I got my first Griptilion and noticed similar issues. When I get the pivot screw tuned where it should be the centering is off a bit. I love the axis lock on these though.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 04:05:56 AM
I got my Griptilian back from warranty service and the centering is perfect now. I'm happy with it now and it will be my main pocket knife for the foreseeable future. Their customer service handled it well and its good to go.

This still does not change the fact that I still have the custom with the blade off center and I even had to send it in, in the first place.

Benchmades customer service is excellent though.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 05:37:36 AM
I got my Griptilian back from warranty service and the centering is perfect now. I'm happy with it now and it will be my main pocket knife for the foreseeable future. Their customer service handled it well and its good to go.

This still does not change the fact that I still have the custom with the blade off center and I even had to send it in, in the first place.

Great news Cap'n  :cheers: Does this mean you'll be trusting them with fixing up your custom now?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 05:48:47 AM

Great news Cap'n  :cheers: Does this mean you'll be trusting them with fixing up your custom now?

Honestly I have not decided yet. The centering is not as bad as the other one, but it is still off. As a piece I bought to simply enjoy and not planning on carrying it would technically not be a problem, but still bugs me to think about. I do think they sen't another paid shipping label so if it shows up I might send it in. I was really waiting to see how they handled this one which turned out excellent so chances are I might.
I'm the milk man!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 06:12:39 PM

Honestly I have not decided yet. The centering is not as bad as the other one, but it is still off. As a piece I bought to simply enjoy and not planning on carrying it would technically not be a problem, but still bugs me to think about. I do think they sen't another paid shipping label so if it shows up I might send it in. I was really waiting to see how they handled this one which turned out excellent so chances are I might.

Glad to see things ended up resolving in a positive way for you!

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 06:42:46 PM

Glad to see things ended up resolving in a positive way for you!

:salute: :tu:

Me too.  :D

To top it off I fitted it with a Benchmade factory deep carry clip.  :whistle:

Ill get some quick pics.
I'm the milk man!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 06:48:04 PM
 :worthless:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:31 PM
I just got a few. The lighting sucked, but you will get the "picture" so to speak.  :D
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD