Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Sharpmaker results.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Spyderco Sharpmaker results.
on: October 05, 2014, 05:16:08 AM
I just opened up my Spyderco Sharpmaker for the first time and gave it a go on my Svord Peasant to get the hang of it. In short my first go on the Sharpmaker was a nice experience and put a pretty good edge on my Svord. The edge does seem slightly toothy, but very sharp. I'm assuming this is just because of my technique. If all goes well with the Sharpmaker I will most likely get the super fine stones to get a very good finish on the edge. The sharpener is very easy to use and very straight forward. I'm sure after some practice I will get better results, but for the first go the results are great!  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker results.
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:34:21 AM
That's good to hear as I plan on getting one due to my lack of ability with sharpening.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 06:42:28 AM
Glad you like it.  I have one I have used off/on for quite some time now.  I have a set of the Ultra Fine stones but never used them as I like my blades with alittle bite! :)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 06:44:35 AM
That's good to hear as I plan on getting one due to my lack of ability with sharpening.

I'm the same, but this made it easy and I got good results first try. With practice i'm sure it will be much better. It actually made me have a enjoyable sharpening experience. I would say give it a shot.   :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 06:56:30 AM
Glad you like it.  I have one I have used off/on for quite some time now.  I have a set of the Ultra Fine stones but never used them as I like my blades with alittle bite! :)

Are they NIB stones? Never used once?   :pok:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:38:09 AM

That's our Mike.

Defend the Hive!!!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 07:48:52 AM
I am not that good with sharpening stone, but given it's the right angle on the knife, I can always put on a killer sharp edge from a sharpmaker.  Just can't praise this system enough, for its simplicity and ease to use/setup.

Two humble suggestion for using the sharpmaker:

1) Constantly think about what different stone is doing to the burr, sometimes if a knife may need real sharpening, and a ceremic just push the burr back to the middle and create a 'false' sharpness temporarily(if you are just cutting paper or shaving arm hair), and it will become dull upon any heavier task.  If that happens, start with coarser rods and it will do justice.  :tu:

2)  Always keep the knife spine perpendicular to the sharpmaker, and as you move towards the tip of knife, lift the handle of the knife, so you could keep a consistent width of bevel.  When I first started, I didn't watch any video or instruction, and it already produced a very sharp edge for my practice knife...but upon sharpening a few more times, the bevel of the tip of the knife become larger and larger, and that's when I realized I wasn't lifting the handle enough to ensure the bevel is consistent.  :facepalm:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 08:32:21 AM
I just ordered the Ultra Fine stones. I figured I might as well and I feel confident in the Sharpmaker. 
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 01:51:04 AM
I too love the Sharpmaker. I use it primarily for quick touch ups (then onto the strop). Keep it set up on my work bench for easy access. :tu:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 04:43:49 AM

Yep, never used but i have them just in case I want a finer/more polished edge!  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:21 AM
Good to hear you put it to work and are happy with the results.  I have a "poor mans" version ( Lansky Turnbox ) and have also got great results.  I use it mainly for my kitchen knives and like Toolslinger use it for quick touch ups. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 06:40:40 AM
Just to show the results on my first time using the sharpmaker. Here is the edge on my Svord.

Let me remind you I am terrible at sharpening with any system and the sharpmaker gave me great results first time out.

I'm sure with practice and (when I get them) using the ultra fine stones I will get even better results.

If anyone gets the sharpmaker and want's some tips that I found to help me then let me know. If not careful you can round off the tip, but I found out how to keep this from happening and the tip looks excellent.

I'm the milk man!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 06:46:21 PM
Looks good Captain!

If you want some tips just do a google search as there are alot of Sharpmaker stuff online like using a coin or two to change the angle, etc to make it more versatile.

If you want the diamond stones for it, search Ebay and there is someone selling a set for about $41.  The cheapest I have seen and no I dont have a set of them.  These will help if you need to remove alot of metal or if you have a blade that is very dull.  Freehand with a coarser stone is also an option! :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 07:03:50 PM
you got good results. i was looking to trade mine for a profile set and a SAK since i moved to different techniques
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 10:04:45 PM
If you need remove that much metal, I'd just skip diamond rod and get a 1x30 belt sander.

I don't use the corners of the ceramic rods, they tend to have tiny chip/dents even brand new.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 10:06:56 PM
If you need remove that much metal, I'd just skip diamond rod and get a 1x30 belt sander.

I don't use the corners of the ceramic rods, they tend to have tiny chip/dents even brand new.

I did notice a small chip on one of the fine stones on the sharpmaker. I will just have to avoid it.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 10:54:33 PM

I did notice a small chip on one of the fine stones on the sharpmaker. I will just have to avoid it.

Interesting. Mine are well used and travelled and don't appear to have any chips. I'll look closer under the heavy magnifier later tonight.

I tend to just use the flats anyway unless I have some serrations to work on (which means it's usually not my knife...).

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 11:03:55 PM
I should of been more specific. I noticed the small chip because the blade was hanging up on it and it was when using the flats.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 11:50:06 PM
I should of been more specific. I noticed the small chip because the blade was hanging up on it and it was when using the flats.

Ah, ok. I'm still going to put mine under the magnifier later out of curiosity.

I only notice my blade hanging if I've not been diligent in keeping the rods cleaned. Occasionally I end up missing some dirt/gunk on a blade or the stones get handled/left on the bench and they pick up some dirt/grit. I can feel that easily. That's usually a good indicator I need to take and scrub them down with cleaner and an abrasive pad.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 11:56:37 PM
So whats the deal with cleaning the rods on the Sharpmaker?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 12:09:49 AM

The stones will load up fairly quick with metal shavings from the blade so use Bar Keeper's Friend (like Comet) and scrub them clean after use.

You should see the white stones (Fine grit) getting black/dark and that is from the blade.  It is harder to tell on the brown stones (Med grit) but it is there for sure!

FYI - If your stones have chips in the corners or flats, you should contact Spyderco for a replacement.  Mine do not have any chips!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 12:15:12 AM

The stones will load up fairly quick with metal shavings from the blade so use Bar Keeper's Friend (like Comet) and scrub them clean after use.

You should see the white stones (Fine grit) getting black/dark and that is from the blade.  It is harder to tell on the brown stones (Med grit) but it is there for sure!

FYI - If your stones have chips in the corners or flats, you should contact Spyderco for a replacement.  Mine do not have any chips!

I will drop them a e-mail and see what they say. I swear I always get the defective products. The last 5 things I have ordered from different companies have all had a problem right out of the package. I'm getting real sick of the quality control dropping while prices are rising. Makes no sense.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 01:52:09 AM
Definitely see what they say. I just looked at mine under the scope and they have no chips.

Really sucks that you're on such a bad run of defective products Cap. I would be pissed as well.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 02:30:57 AM
Definitely see what they say. I just looked at mine under the scope and they have no chips.

Really sucks that you're on such a bad run of defective products Cap. I would be pissed as well.

It is very much a pain in the smurf, but what can you do.
I'm the milk man!

Offline skidoosh

Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 03:22:58 PM
You can use an eraser on the stones too and it helps. I strop my blade after the sharpmaker and it gets a really nice edge.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 08:12:56 PM
Well I just took my Dragonfly 2 to the sharpmaker and this time the results were not as good as when I sharpened my Svord. I do not know why I did not get as good of results. I even tried the sharpie trick to see exactly where the stone was hitting and it appeared to be sharpening correctly, but the end result was not as favorable. It did get it sharp, but not anywhere near what I want it to be.
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 06:03:23 PM
Well I just took my Dragonfly 2 to the sharpmaker and this time the results were not as good as when I sharpened my Svord. I do not know why I did not get as good of results. I even tried the sharpie trick to see exactly where the stone was hitting and it appeared to be sharpening correctly, but the end result was not as favorable. It did get it sharp, but not anywhere near what I want it to be.

I posted earlier about that, hope it may help:

1) Constantly think about what different stone is doing to the burr, sometimes if a knife may need real sharpening, and a ceremic just push the burr back to the middle and create a 'false' sharpness temporarily(if you are just cutting paper or shaving arm hair), and it will become dull upon any heavier task.  If that happens, start with coarser rods and it will do justice.  :tu:

Another suggestion is to strop it, in case there is still blur leftover which will affect its paper-push-cutting ability.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 07:23:19 PM
I did start with the coarse rods and worked through fine and then super fine.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 07:31:41 PM
On the SS Endura I resurrected, I also had a heck of a time with the burr.  I made a chisel edge and the burr kept pushing over to one side then the next. 

I made several passes on the ceramic rod and got what Comis describes.  I finally hit it with the stone I used just before the ceramic then used green compound and stropped. 

The edge is wicked and push cutting paper is no problem.  I really had to work it tho and became a bit frustrated not knowing what to do about that darn burr. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 07:34:35 PM
if it's a burr, you should be able to see it under light reflection.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%