Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camillus Machetes, Carnivore and Carnivore X.

Chako · 3 · 10129

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Camillus Machetes, Carnivore and Carnivore X.
on: October 08, 2014, 07:04:56 PM
I bought the Carnivore last year, and I just got the upgraded version of the Carnivore called the Carnivore X. Now that I have both, it is time to do a direct comparison.

Now, the Camillus Carnivore is a flawed product as it first came out, and my version is the first flawed version...as these tend to break quite often in the handle. The reason for this, the Carnivore does not have a full tang. Furthermore, Camillus loves to boast about their Titanium bonding coating process. That is ok...but after a quick check online, many feel it hardens the steel to the point of brittleness.

Here is a video that shows one which has failed by The Gear Tester.

Based on this, I wouldn't buy the original Carnivore. I have noticed they have updated the Carnivore, as the new Carnivores have a wider spacing between the handle rivets. I can only guess that they have beefed up the tang on the newer Carnivores...but with that said, I am going to have to say stay away. I agree fully with the above fellow who's video I linked to.

Now the Carnivore X is the upgraded version, and you can see that Camillus did pay attention to beefing up the product. The X version has a better one piece grip, and you can clearly see the tang goes right to the end as it pokes out of the butt of the handle. Furthermore, they made the blade a little deeper, not wider, but definitely a little deeper. They also made the X version a saw back, and removed the partial serrations seen on the Carnivore. Not only did they improve the grip and blade, they also improved the sheath by including a hard plastic insert to protect the sheath from the saw. Included is a little piggy back knife which would make a great spear point in a survival setting.

Carnivore Pros:
- Comfortable grip.
- Nice weight to the blade.
- Is a looker, for whatever that is worth.  ::)
- Titanium bonded coating. Not sure if this is a positive or a negative.

Carnivore Cons:
- Old version prone to dangerous failure.

Final say: Stay away if its the older version I have. I presume the newer versions with the wider spaced handle rivets are of a better design.

Carnivore X Pros:
- Better designed and beefed up compared to the Carnivore.
- Secondary piggy back knife.
- Handle is even more comfortable compared to the Carnivore.

Carnivore X Cons:
- Nothing I can see.

Final say: If you have your heart on a Camillus machete, the Carnivore X is the one to have. It is superior to the original Carnivore in all aspects.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Camillus Machetes, Carnivore and Carnivore X.
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:53:14 PM
I am so glad I didn't have the money on the weekend to buy the original version when I was looking at it!  Did you get this one at Canadian Tire?  I don't see it on their website yet, only the original.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Camillus Machetes, Carnivore and Carnivore X.
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:29:59 AM
No, at the Tractor Supply Store.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85