Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival FAIL, dinner WIN!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Survival FAIL, dinner WIN!
on: October 09, 2014, 12:15:10 AM
So, we have had a bunch of deadfall branches building up lately, and the City won't take them, and don't supply pick-up days for such things. Fire regulations require that if you burn yard waste, it must be done in a container. So, I suggested to hubby last night that I could use them in our grill. It's just a little black Weber Smokey Joe.

Today, I decided I'd take my Altoids Survival Kit out back, to see if I could get the fire started with just what was in it. That'd be a little ferro rod and a Bic Lighter. I figured 'no problem'.

Made my pile of shavings, had my tinder ready, and... nothing. Couldn't get a flame from the ferro rod. Okay... looking at the clock, I have an hour to build a bed of coals for dinner. Try, try... nothing. Fine. I light up a strip of bark with the Bic, and... nothing. Are you kidding me? I couldn't get the tinder to catch, or the pieces that did burned out before I could get anything ELSE to catch.

Right! Off to the bathroom to get a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol. Ha! That'll show... nope. Even with THAT, I couldn't get it going.

MOTHER... SMURFER!!

Step this smurf UP! I got a tea candle. And... with extraordinary diligence, patience, and lots of effort... fire.

The only thing I can figure is that it was all either a bit green, or recent rainfall made it just damp enough to not want to light. I consider myself pretty darn good at fire making. Not Commando Survival Ninja Bad-A$$ or anything, but light years ahead of the average. It was a major Survival Skill FAIL.

:facepalm:

On to the GOOD news.

After the bed of coals was ready, I threw on some cheap hot dogs, and veggies wrapped in aluminum foil. The veggies were potatoes, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and diced butternut squash. I tossed them in butter and curry spices before wrapping them up, and they turned out FANTASTIC.

So... Dinner WIN.
 :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Survival FAIL, dinner WIN!
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:22:41 AM
Wow! Couldn't get a fire with a ferro rod? Weird. On a plus side, good dinner cooked with fire. Oh yeah!

Nate
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:28:56 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 06:26:11 PM
Wow! Couldn't get a fire with a ferro rod? Weird. On a plus side, good dinner cooked with fire. Oh yeah!

Nate

+1

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:48:26 PM
Maybe consider adding a flamethrower to your emergency kit, 'just in case'... :rofl:

On a serious note: I consider myself very proficient with making fire but do occasionally find conditions that can be challenging. Looks like dinner was delicious despite (or because of) the trouble getting the fire lit. :drool:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:08:02 PM
firstly dinner did sound nice  :drool:
(having read the menu I'm now really hungry)

I've been thinking a lot about 'firelighting' lately, although I never see the likelihood of me ever going far enough away from my couch to get myself into the position where lighting a fire becomes life or death.
BUT I do think if you watch enough 'survival based' programs on Descovery channel it is easy to get complacent in the thought that starting a blaze is just a matter of getting a spark or 'ember'.
I'm currently working on a 'firelighting kit' & an EDC simple, sure fire. (or fireS  :think: how many is enough  :think: )
is it better in a 'survival' situation to have one guaranteed fire then keep it going, or the ability to light many fires just in case ???

*"currently working on" could also read ~ "thinking about from the comfort of my laptop" 

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:18:17 PM
At least dinner was good! That the main thing.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:25:52 PM
is it better in a 'survival' situation to have one guaranteed fire then keep it going, or the ability to light many fires just in case ???

That depends on the situation - if you are staying on one place and waiting for help, or if you are moving from point a to point b.  :)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:27:00 PM
Biggest thing about fire skills is, practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Knowing and being able to do it are two different animals.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:36:27 PM
I'm of the thought, for my needs anyway, that a couple of GOOD fires starts is all I would need. I'm not going to be moving (much) and this is *just in case* stuff (for me at least) so I want something really compact yet bullet proof.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:59:12 PM
Biggest thing about fire skills is, practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Knowing and being able to do it are two different animals.

Nate

Absolutely!  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:05:38 PM
Additional it´s a question if you want to be able to light a fire oldschool, with what you find - or if you´re fine with using stuff you carry along.

I like solid fuel tabs. No need for me to feel like a mountain man, when i can have todays comfort.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:20 PM
I like solid fuel tabs. No need for me to feel like a mountain man, when i can have todays comfort.
wise words !

I have stumbled across a website selling 'bow drill kits' ! ready made ! why oh why would anyone want one ? surely nobody would pack these in a rucksack and take them into the woods ?  :think:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 09:19:53 PM
wise words !

I have stumbled across a website selling 'bow drill kits' ! ready made ! why oh why would anyone want one ? surely nobody would pack these in a rucksack and take them into the woods ?  :think:

That's messed up.

If you're going to use one, you make it yourself. Part of the concept of owning a skill. Plus, if you rely on that as your only fire-starting method, you're in trouble if the conditions exceed your skill level.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 09:24:29 PM
These days my kits tend to have a butane lighter in them. Yes, it's true these are not infallible - however they are simple and work most of the time. I don't have a problem carrying a firesteel along with it, but if I do find myself need a fire - even if it's just on the end of a cigarette  :P it would be the butane lighter I'd reach for first

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:26:38 PM
Oh ... and alcohol based hand sanitiser is a nice handy pocket accelerant fire firelighting too  :)

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:33:52 PM
I always felt I was 'fire prepared' when I was a smoker ........ :dd:
now I have to 'think' about carrying a lighter as part of my EDC

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 10:21:56 PM
One thing about learning how to making fire old skool is that it teaches you how to process all kinda of tinder. Like a birds nest made of cedar bark, then and a modern ignition like a ferro rod and it becomes easier in harder conditions. Add if you happen to lose the modern stuff, well you can make fire the old way.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56