Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ESEE AH-1 Arrow Head?

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
ESEE AH-1 Arrow Head?
on: October 09, 2014, 02:17:49 AM
I'm looking at getting one of those Esee arrow heads for my PSK, has anybody actually used one? What are your thoughts?
darren

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: ESEE AH-1 Arrow Head?
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 03:21:53 AM
I am interested to know as well. I saw these and they are very inexpensive. Would be nice to hear what anyone with first hand experience thinks.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 03:29:08 AM
I got one but haven't used it yet
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 02:16:50 AM
I've always wondered about their practicality. I think I'd rather carry something like a CRKT Minimalist with scales pulled or a Ritter MkV, with a frog gig.

But that doesn't mean I don't want to get one some day to try out- they are cool looking.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:22:03 AM
I'd love to get my hands on one of those some day. They seem well made.

Some remarks just by eyeballing the thing; small enough to work as an arrow head or even a spear point. The small size seems to make it impractical for use as a knife without handles, especially with those pointed tips towards one's hand. Also, I think it could use a second hole at the tang for better attachment to a handle, not sure how steady it would be at the end of a stick as it is. Needs some cord to make it happen too.

I don't know what that steel is exactly, however the initial price on Amazon for a couple of those seems a bit exuberant.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:25:58 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 11:27:48 AM
The one I looked up where 1095. Which is SWEET!! I would not be surprised if they make then in SS too.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline David

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 06:30:22 PM
I think they only come in 1095. I've never seen or heard of a stainless one.      :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 11:21:15 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to get one and put it to use. Ill do a short review with pics, I'm thinking I'll definately do the arrow and spear thing, might try to make a handle for use as a knife too. Any iddas what else it could be used for?
darren

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 12:41:22 AM
I think they only come in 1095. I've never seen or heard of a stainless one.      :)
Works for me. Love 1095.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 12:42:55 AM
Looks like I'm gonna have to get one and put it to use. Ill do a short review with pics, I'm thinking I'll definately do the arrow and spear thing, might try to make a handle for use as a knife too. Any iddas what else it could be used for?
Sounds like good idea. Only other use I can think of is a striker for flint.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 12:55:16 AM
Any iddas what else it could be used for?

(Careful) I'm thinking (now) it might take a strong bow for the arrow to be worthwhile, let alone making a nice, clean shaft. So this means one would need even more cord for the bow and some kind of cutting instrument. Maybe an improvised one using a rock  :D

I know nothing about archery other than I've always wanted to it give a try. Hence, I'd be tempted to use it as a spear or javelin point, the latter combined with some handheld launcher and practice with that. Keep us posted :tu:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:57:45 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:48:38 PM
I've had mine for about 2 years now. It is an effective arrowhead. A bit on the heavy side. I won't recommend using it for any bow that has less than a 40 lb draw weight. Works like charm when used as a spear point. Don't bet on using it as a knife unless you thin out the edges and do a regrind....forgot to say that it has a needle-sharp tip. Went through bullfrogs, field mice and wildfowl quite well. Pretty hard to pull it out as the other two points on the sides work like barbs.

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 02:39:24 AM
Yeah I was thinking the most effective way of using it would probably be as a spear.  :D
darren

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 06:19:54 AM
it's best to try it out and see what might work for you...or you can get a pair and an esee arrowhead wallet.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 02:57:01 PM
Looks like a pretty useless gimmick to me - to big/heavy for a selfmade arrow with a selfmade bow in a emergency situation, and to small/light for a usefull spear.

Might work with a strong bought bow, but how big are the chances such a bow is with you in such a outdoor emergency? And if you have the bow with you, you would have for sure some matching arrows.

In emergency, for one of this selfmade bows that are far away from strong and perfect, i would prefer a set of those light arrowtips that are lasercut in a creditcard sized metalplate.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 04:59:52 PM
Looks like a pretty useless gimmick to me - to big/heavy for a selfmade arrow with a selfmade bow in a emergency situation, and to small/light for a usefull spear.

Might work with a strong bought bow, but how big are the chances such a bow is with you in such a outdoor emergency? And if you have the bow with you, you would have for sure some matching arrows.

In emergency, for one of this selfmade bows that are far away from strong and perfect, i would prefer a set of those light arrowtips that are lasercut in a creditcard sized metalplate.

I'm glad someone else isn't over the moon with the looks of these. I have seen them a few times, and think there are fer better things to put in a PSK instead considering the limited function and the weight, not to mention financial cost. I think it's a fun idea to have an arrowhead shaped blade to play around with in the comfort of your own home, but do you really want to risk shooting/throwing your last bit of sharpened metal when SHTF? Pack some paracord, make a sling and throw rocks instead. You don't have to go and fetch them and hope you haven't damaged/lost them  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 05:39:07 PM
Why does it have to be the only sharpened piece of metal in a PSK? ;D

Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 05:58:42 PM
Well .... it shouldn't be  :D ... but you still get my drift, I hope  ;) It does seem a fun item, but not something I'd chose to ensure my survival with  :P

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:12 AM
I carry a Victorinox Farmer in my PSK, so the arrow head will not be the only sharp pointy bit of metal in there and I will only put the arrow head in if it works out during my tests, I'm not just gonna buy something and stick it in there and find out it is useless when I need it most. Nothing goes in my PSK without being thoroughly tested first.
darren

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 07:35:48 AM
 :tu: :salute:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 11:18:02 PM
I question their usefulness as well.
I love my Magnus 2 blade broad heads but as a knife I wouldn't use one. So I am not so thrilled about this product and its marketing as a survival tool.
I do think they may make a good spear tip for an atlatl or similar light thrower. 

I was thinking of buying one and grinding the edge off so I could pin it to my hat. Downside if I ever am in a car accident and the airbag goes off I don't want an Arrow head driven through my skull. So that's a bad idea.

If your talking about making a bow in an emergency check out the Habilis Bow Tool. It is a small draw knife with 2 sizes of arrow scrapers and a string twister in the handle. Looks like it might work and is on my someday shopping list.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 10:42:43 PM
I'm going to buy the pair from Knifecenter with the nice pouch

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 03:56:09 AM
Whilst the AH-1 is made well I do believe now after buying one that it is mostly a novelty item. They don't come very sharp from the factory either and if you were relying on this as a last ditch blade I think you would be pretty disappointed, although you could probably make a decent wooden handle, notch it and lash the arrowhead to the end of it, then it may actually be useful in a survival situation, like a mini spear. I'll do some experimenting and post some pics.
darren

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD