Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tools for posh occasions

00 Offline cedricada

Tools for posh occasions
on: October 10, 2014, 11:35:54 AM
I'm off to a church tomorrow for a wedding. What tools do you think are good for carry in black tie attire? In my experience, these are situations where a bottle opener or corkscrew might be needed, pr where a little blade might be required to cut down a cork for re-insertion at hometime on an unfinished wine.

Consideration also given to size and bulk. Suit jackets may be able to hold ST300s in their pockets, but would you really? The line between preparedness and practicality narrows a fair bit.

I think I'm going to take the victorinox cadet in my pants pocket with my preon p1:

And my new PPP in my suit jacket. Seems thin and light and looks shiny and attractive.

What else do you take when you go sonewhere posh? Do you drop a tool? The need for pliers is likely slim to none, but I want to take the Sog anyway because its new!

I also take a small sewing kit from a hotel, and put some moleskin bandages in my wallet for wifes inevitable blister from ridiculous shoe choices!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Re: Tools for posh occasions
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:43:12 AM
my LM 'Juice xe6' in it's posh lil' pouch sits well on a leather belt, and is my favourite for weddings, funerals and interview, or any other 'suit wearing occasion'.
she's pretty and has all the functions you could need, yet fits in with most social groups, maybe not my first choice for long term. a bit like taking Catherine Zeta-Jones as your +1 ;) 

* oh yes the sewing kit (with a few safety pins  :tu:) are a must just in case my suit has shrunk around the middle while in storage or the button has become weak, you'd be amazed how often that happens  ::))
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:46:34 AM by Taxi Dad »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:06:43 PM
A Compact will fit the bill nicely. Small and has the corkscrew and combo tool. Also, a blade and scissors for cutting tags and the such.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 02:38:55 PM
The Compact is a good option as Nate stated as it has all the basics covered for such an event, especially if you're not concerned with needing pliers or other tools like a saw or metal file, etc.  I for one would still be carrying a SAK/MT combo, but that's me ;)
K-Tibbs

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 02:45:27 PM
I'd suggest comfortable running shoes and anything that would help you get away. Other than that I prefer a combination of Vic Pioneer and Classic
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 02:54:54 PM
I'm off to a church tomorrow for a wedding. What tools do you think are good for carry in black tie attire? In my experience, these are situations where a bottle opener or corkscrew might be needed, pr where a little blade might be required to cut down a cork for re-insertion at hometime on an unfinished wine.

The weddings you attend are clearly different than the ones I do. Unfinished wine eh? :)

I use my SAK more at events than anywhere else. More than at camp.
Corkscrew, small blade and tweezers are the things that generally come in handy for me.
I only have a Silver Tech Climber but I think I will need one a little more slender for some of the events I attend. The clutches I carry are a little too small usually for everything.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:14 PM
""I also take a small sewing kit from a hotel, and put some moleskin bandages in my wallet for wifes inevitable blister from ridiculous shoe choices!""

Surely Ductape is sufficient ?? ;)  :rofl:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 04:01:03 PM

I've rocked a Micra in my pockets at weddings and no issues. Actually the bottle opener came in very handy during one at cocktail hour  :drink:.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 04:14:57 PM

The weddings you attend are clearly different than the ones I do. Unfinished wine eh? :)

Corkscrew, small blade and tweezers are the things that generally come in handy for me.
I only have a Silver Tech Climber but I think I will need one a little more slender for some of the events I attend. The clutches I carry are a little too small usually for everything.
Hah, got ya all beat. I once used my Dual Pro to cut the wedding cake, because it was the largest blade present :rofl:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 04:17:39 PM

Hah, got ya all beat. I once used my Dual Pro to cut the wedding cake, because it was the largest blade present :rofl:

That probably doesn't seem so odd given that you live in the home of SAKs...probably everyone there was packing a SAK of some kind, and you just had the biggest blade of them all :pok: :rofl:
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 04:25:56 PM
I EDC'ed a Surge for my sister's wedding and an engraved Blast for my wedding. Both got used to keep things rolling smoothly.

This was before I got into SAKs. Now, I'd probably carry a Climber or Compact.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 04:27:08 PM

That probably doesn't seem so odd given that you live in the home of SAKs...probably everyone there was packing a SAK of some kind, and you just had the biggest blade of them all :pok: :rofl:
Of course, its the law. Problem was that by the time desert was served, the caterer had already left and taken the cake-knife with him :think:.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 04:28:21 PM
I like the idea of any Alox SAK for a wedding carry.  Heck even a black or white scaled SAK would be posh IMO.  I'd also take a squirt as well but I seem to always feel nekkid without some sort of pliers. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 04:43:53 PM
Bring pepper spray, in case the bride's ex show up uninvited.
 :rofl:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 05:00:54 PM
At a wedding? Surely any SAK in that situation must have scissors (loose threads).

My first choice is an Electrician plus with scissors (modded by both Neil and Syph).  It has old worn red alox scales and brass liners. 

My second choice is a 1960's era Swiss Champion.  Actually I used it at a recent party where there was pit pork.  Lots of fresh bottles of barbecue sauce but nothing to cut the foil around the cap.  :facepalm:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 05:05:38 PM
Its got to be the Porsche Design Wenger's
Don't come much posher!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 05:27:23 PM

Sometimes it's too much to polish off the whole barrel  :whistle:

Here's a few of my "dress" choices

Deluxe Cigar Cutter
Horn Scaled Huntsman
Horn Scaled Commander
Leather "Coach" Climber

Add a PST or PST II in the inside pen pocket and I'm all set  :D

Alternatively, if I want a lighter load ...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 06:51:09 PM
Its got to be the Porsche Design Wenger's
Don't come much Porscher!!

Fixed that for you ;).

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 07:03:12 PM
Do you think it would be strange to have a leather sheath/pouch attached to your belt while wearing something formal ??? I think a black/brown leather SAK pouch with a black scaled tool would go nicely for me personally.  I wouldn't mind a wood finish SAK either but my end-tool choices would be:
Swiss Champ (a tad bulky but so is my smart phone so what the heck :D)
Compact
Explorer

A flashlight in the pocket is a must have for me at all times and because they are made so slim these days with decent lighting to boot, you won't even notice it no matter what you wear.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 07:10:28 PM
I wouldn't go for a full pliers tool personally, but you seem quite set on that :P

Usually I go for my Danish black Alox cadet, but if you want a corkscrew, a Sportsman would be nice, too :P Maybe with a Classic or Rambler for a pair of small scissors.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 07:14:02 PM
Ribbed cadet FTW!
DSC_0313cropsmall.jpg
* DSC_0313cropsmall.jpg (Filesize: 253.38 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 07:15:05 PM
The last wedding I went to an A.G. Russel Sting AI would have been appropriate  :ahhh or brass knuckles  :twak:

But so far it's been a small Alox, for next time the Fantoni Dweller (which has been on me ever since I got it).
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 07:16:43 PM

I've rocked a Micra in my pockets at weddings and no issues. Actually the bottle opener came in very handy during one at cocktail hour  :drink:.

+1 :tu:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 07:19:29 PM
The last wedding I went to I took a Tinker Small and that was useful.
The groom had a Rebar in his pocket  :facepalm:
The cake was cut with a large saw.

Tinker Small or Sideclip would be my choices.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 07:24:59 PM
Anything with scissors from Syph007.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 09:16:55 PM
Do you think it would be strange to have a leather sheath/pouch attached to your belt while wearing something formal ??? I think a black/brown leather SAK pouch with a black scaled tool would go nicely for me personally.  I wouldn't mind a wood finish SAK either but my end-tool choices would be:
Swiss Champ (a tad bulky but so is my smart phone so what the heck :D)
Compact
Explorer

A flashlight in the pocket is a must have for me at all times and because they are made so slim these days with decent lighting to boot, you won't even notice it no matter what you wear.

Depends on if you can conceal it under a jacket or how big the sheath is.

I've done it with smaller sheaths that match the colour of belt/pants (black). Tends to blend in and a lot of people mistake them for cellphone pouches...

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 09:36:21 PM
You're wasting your time guys, Kampfer beats you all...with his shiny EDC stuff in S/S  :D
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 12:57:50 AM
You're wasting your time guys, Kampfer beats you all...with his shiny EDC stuff in S/S  :D
Yea a gentleman's MT 8)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 190.86 KB)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 01:12:41 AM
It can't get much more posh than a Vic Spirit. A Wenger Metal-50 or a Dynasty Gawain might be good contenders.

Me, I'd take a red or green cellidor Vic Climber or my usual EDC, a Pioneer and alox Rambler.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 01:15:56 AM
I think anything I'd mention has already come up. My first thought is a Cadet, Crosscut or Micra. All in plain silver. Then if I start thinking about a corkscrew, my brain immediately jumps to my Silvertech Climber.

Small with pliers, I think a PST II would slip in very inconspicuously.

No one's mentioned the Flair yet? I'm shocked.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%