Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody Here Have a PST II?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Anybody Here Have a PST II?
on: October 10, 2014, 06:52:53 PM

Does anybody here carry a PST II? How does it compare to the original PST?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Anybody Here Have a PST II?
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:08:36 PM
I do have one, but don't really carry it anymore.  It was my introduction to the classic Leatherman style of MT actually.  The differences are that it has a pair of scissors instead of an awl, and has a diamond file on one side of the file, and the PST does not.  This diamond file also has a sharpening groove in it for hooks and whatnot.  Oh, and it has a combo edge blade while the PST has a plain edge.  I think that's it :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:11:31 PM
I have two, it's my favorite Leatherman.  Yes people, I have a favorite Leatherman!  :o  I carry mine fairly regularly.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:39:58 PM

If JD has two of them, it must be okay  :multi:!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:52:15 PM
I really like the PSTII as well.  I haven't had one for too long, but it's becoming a favorite.  The scissors work well for me (same style as the OG Wave), and I like having a diamond file.  The combo blade would bother me except that I always pair it with a SAK (usually Alox to make up for the lack of PST's awl).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:10:55 PM
Yup, I got one! One of my favourite LMs too  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:23:41 PM
I have both. Do not carry them, but size is good. I do not like combo edge on pstII. But love the scissors. There are little some differences you will notice when you have them. But i love size of these both. I only hope LM would make more  multis these size...

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:33:12 PM

Does anybody here carry a PST II? How does it compare to the original PST?

The PST is great as it comes with original design. The PST II carries over a great PST design with few additional 'upgrades' some of us like and some don't.

While I like addition of good sized fold-out style scissors, I do miss the awl and plain edge knife. So I'm kind of sitting on the fence on the PST vs PST II favorite.

And this is the reason I own both and enjoy them equally.  8)

I know this probably didn't help your buying decision much but at least it provided someone else's point of view on the topic.
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:31 PM
I have one stock one,and two modded to KST spec.

Damn good tool! The fact the the High Priest of Flickdom,and the Anti-LM have them and like them says something!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 08:38:36 PM
The fact the the High Priest of Flickdom,and the Anti-LM have them and like them says something!

LOL!  :D

The venerable PST/PSTII are hard to resist even by those hard-core 'other-brands' followers.  :multi:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 08:50:24 PM

Damn good tool! The fact the the High Priest of Flickdom,and the Anti-LM have them and like them says something!

Three years (to the day) before someone figured out that Al actually stands for Anti-Leatherman  :rofl:

(it doesn't really  ;))

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:55:42 PM
Go with the PST 2

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline APS

Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 10:20:44 PM
A PSTII replaced a Juice S2 in my pocket.  The only thing I prefer on my S2 is that the scissors are more precise and can cut cloth much better.  But I prefer everything else on the PSTII.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 10:24:52 PM
I Love the PSTII, it does get regular carry, but in light duties only.

I need a second one
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 11:34:54 PM

Three years (to the day) before someone figured out that Al actually stands for Anti-Leatherman  :rofl:

(it doesn't really  ;))

Are you sure about that?  :think: There's nearly 8K posts that might tell a different story.......  :P

Kirky's right though (what an awkward phrase  :facepalm: ).  If Mr. Fiddy and I are unanimous in liking the PSTII, there just might be a reason.  If I'm not mistaken, Gareth is a fan as well. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 11:37:08 PM

(it doesn't really  ;))

Are you sure about that?  :think: There's nearly 8K posts that might tell a different story.......  :P

Kirky's right though (what an awkward phrase  :facepalm: ).  If Mr. Fiddy and I are unanimous in liking the PSTII, there just might be a reason.  If I'm not mistaken, Gareth is a fan as well.

I think Gareth's is a PST 1 1/2....
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Online PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 11:43:33 PM
I have a 1&1/2 too.  It was a PST with a snapped blade and I replaced it with a combo blade from a generous member here.
They are a great size but can be a little rough on the hand if you need to grip something hard.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 12:00:03 AM
I have a 1&1/2 too.  It was a PST with a snapped blade and I replaced it with a combo blade from a generous member here.
They are a great size but can be a little rough on the hand if you need to grip something hard.

You know,I'm sure there's a dirty joke in there somewhere :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 12:16:53 AM
 :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 01:48:25 AM
I have several.  I have a slightly modified PST II (Replace the blade with a straight edge) that is my EDC.  IT has served me well for many years and through many tough challenges.

Offline collim1

Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 09:50:21 PM
PST for me please. I still carry mine occasionally  and it's still quite useful. I have never cared for scissors on a multi tool and I much prefer the plain edge blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline kc8emd

Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 07:40:53 PM
I have several PST IIs And PSTs.  The PST II is hands down the better tool and has been my edc for almost 20 years. 

I remember way back when the PST II came out and I was upset that LM replaced the blade with a serrated blade.  The scissors were a must have, so going back to the PST wasn't an option. Turns out the test of time has proved the serrated blade to have been invaluable in many occasions.  It can function as a saw if needed.  All I had to do was learn how to sharpen a serrated blade :)

The only pet peeve of the PSTII, besides not having locking tools, was the scissors handle would slip on the little nub.  Fortunately I found out that later models, >2002  fixed this issue by adding a notch in the nub and it also included a more beefed up plier head.  This is the best LM tool ever when comparing size and tool load out.  I cannot wait for the PST III.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:42:45 PM by kc8emd »

us Offline David

Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:26 PM
I've both and preferr the orginal PST because I dont need scissors very often. Altho the diamond file ion the PST II is nice to use.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 05:55:06 PM
I have a very old PSTII. For it's weight, the PST and PSTII are remarkable pieces of engineering. I prefer the scissors over the awl, but much prefer the straight edge of the PST over the combo edge of the PSTII. The diamond file on the PSTII beats the original's.

Also, the changed the design of the drivers on (I presume) both the PST and PSTII in later iterations.

New Version...

Old Version (yes, I know it's a Supertool, but it's the same kind of old driver design)...

If I'd gotten a newer PSTII, it would have had the newer river design, which I would have preferred, since they're much less prone to folding under force.

I've probably gone on and on about this, but there is something really bomb-proof (at least it feels that way) about the PST and PSTII design, and they are remarkably light and pocketable.

My PSTII resides in my range bag, and has come in handy a few times. The small driver is great for adjusting sights and extracting temperamental brass.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 05:58:18 PM
I carry a Pst2 just about every day after work. Monday through Friday.

It's a great tool.
Defend the Hive!!!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 01:02:39 AM
I own a PSTII but I ended up (by mistake) with a NIB instead of a used 'beater' I was after, so due to this fact it's sitting pretty being a shelf queen. I don't dare to use it and disturb that new and unused look and feel, LOL. :D

I better start soon searching for another PSTII I won't refrain from using.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 02:46:28 AM

I better start soon searching for another PSTII I won't refrain from using.

That's exactly what I did.  Both of mine are in great shape, but one is a tiny bit scuffed on the handles.  So, it became the regular user.  It's even more scuffed now.....  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%