Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

People Friendly OHO Folder?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
People Friendly OHO Folder?
on: October 11, 2014, 12:57:00 AM
Does anyone know of any one hand opening folders that are people friendly?  Does such a beast even exist?

While I typically do just fine with a SAK as EDC, I would like a decent folder.

I like the fallkniven U2, but it isn't OHO.  ot really sure how people friendly it is either.

Any thoughts?
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: People Friendly OHO Folder?
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:02:00 AM
Spyderco Squeak, Boker 42 spring to mind :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 01:17:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestionS :tu:

I am looking for one that lock too.  I also thing I'd like a slightly bigger blade. Somewhere between 2.25"-2.5"

Do you find the spyderco's to be people friendly?  I've seen people recommend them, but they seem like they might draw attention.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 01:23:47 AM
Mine are probably my Vagnino and CRKT Mah Liong #5, though I don't have too many adverse reactions from the Byrd Tern either (middle three on the pic below)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:37:01 AM

I am looking for one that lock too.  I also thing I'd like a slightly bigger blade. Somewhere between 2.25"-2.5"

Do you find the spyderco's to be people friendly?  I've seen people recommend them, but they seem like they might draw attention.
Well I doubt anyone finds knives "friendly" sadly these days :( I know from my own experiences that EVEN saks are viewed as suspicious!

I think wood scales can look inoffensive as your then placing a nostalgic image of a knife in most peoples imaginations of the knife there grandad had :)

Martinnii has a nice line of those as does Enzo :)

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 01:42:21 AM
I know this is less than helpful, but if someone has a problem with your knife then it's their problem. Screw em.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 01:46:46 AM
I know this is less than helpful, but if someone has a problem with your knife then it's their problem. Screw em.
This is my view.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 02:11:13 AM
I find it's usually size that "scares" people.  I also think depending on the handle scale color the blade size may not be a "huge" factor. 

I have a Blue Ambitious that seems to go unnoticed and my SS Endura while larger also seems to not draw the OMG looks.

I have carried a Kershaw Leek and Cryo with no one running for the exits.     
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 03:44:04 AM
Well I consider every knife and SAK OHO. :whistle:

With a bit of practice.

>:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:18:40 AM

The Boker Subcoms also come as liner locks. I'd maybe take a look at the Boker Nano too.

What about a Spyderco Ladybug,or Manbug? The other option might be to put a thumb stud onto a Buck? Maybe the small version of the 110?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 07:35:49 AM
I downsized a while back to be more people friendly.
I ended up with a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 and a Benchmade Mini Griptillian.
Both have been great users.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:24:11 AM
These are (stock photos of) my remaining OHO folders that I would consider somewhat people friendly, both CRKT items.
First is a Mini Tighe Tac. It looks more classy than scary.

secondly is a Van Hoy Snap Lock (2.5" blade) or the smaller Snap Lock 2 (1.75" blade).
They just look too "Art Knife" to be scary. Great fiddle factor in flipping that blade too!!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 01:40:31 PM
Although quite a bit more expensive, this shouldn't be too scary for most people, I'd think:

(Fontenille Pataud One Hand series)

I found other backlock-knives from Fontenille Pataud also are quite OH-openable.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:47:09 PM

Well I doubt anyone finds knives "friendly" sadly these days :( I know from my own experiences that EVEN saks are viewed as suspicious!

I think wood scales can look inoffensive as your then placing a nostalgic image of a knife in most peoples imaginations of the knife there grandad had :)

Martinnii has a nice line of those as does Enzo :)

Sadly, it is the truth where I live nowadays.  It is a concrete jungle, and I have yet to see people using folding knives, instead of just a cutter.  :facepalm:

I find it's usually size that "scares" people. 
That is another factor whenever I pull out a knife, I usually EDC some kind of MT, and it is slightly less frown on vs just a folding knife. ::)

Depending where you live and what's popular in town, an OHO friendly folder is probably an oxymoron if the community has a strong knife-phobia.  :facepalm:  My friendliest OHO knives are my LM MTs. :facepalm:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 09:42:18 PM
If you are serious about it, get a Spyderco Delica and shoot the scales and blade with pink DuraCoat.  Its all about perception.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=819

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 03:11:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions all!

I may end up back to the DF2 after all....

us Offline Yalius

Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 06:46:20 AM
I'd say something like a Kershaw Chive or Scallion in the rainbow finish.

And then there's the Leek.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:49:25 AM by Yalius »

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 07:35:46 AM
The Leatherman Crater does not look too scary. Especially if you choose a model with the carabiner/caplifter, wich make it look more like a MT.

The SRM 702 is not to scary.

And the Kershaw Shuffle is very friendly looking. Much because of its small size.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 12:11:35 PM
I went through a similar phase at the beginning of the year.
Although I admit I'm bias in that I don't actually like knives, I fancied the idea of carrying something, but not a SAK.

Knife laws in the UK are pretty stringent. But I've never been in trouble with the law, I don't dress to seek attention so for me I wasn't too bothered about the locking blade issue - I'd just play ignorant (and hand it over if needs be). But I did not want a pointed pattern, but did want OHO if possible. The lambsfoot/sheepsfoot blade was the pattern I thought would cause the least concern to onlookers and as pointed out elsewhere wood scales would make it look "softer"  - the stereotypical spyderco style is far too threatening looking for edc in my view (UK).
After spending a few weeks looking, I gave up. I'm not too bothered anymore about carrying anything except for my trusty boxcutter that I edc daily at work.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:15:24 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 06:05:31 PM
SRM h02... some Opinels can be opened with one hand and GEC makes some oho knives that hook the blade to open... a buck 112 can be made oho with an accessory..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 01:46:49 AM
Although I admit I'm bias in that I don't actually like knives, I fancied the idea of carrying something, but not a SAK.

Knife laws in the UK are pretty stringent. But I've never been in trouble with the law, I don't dress to seek attention so for me I wasn't too bothered about the locking blade issue - I'd just play ignorant (and hand it over if needs be). But I did not want a pointed pattern, but did want OHO if possible. The lambsfoot/sheepsfoot blade was the pattern I thought would cause the least concern to onlookers and as pointed out elsewhere wood scales would make it look "softer"  - the stereotypical spyderco style is far too threatening looking for edc in my view (UK).
After spending a few weeks looking, I gave up. I'm not too bothered anymore about carrying anything except for my trusty boxcutter that I edc daily at work.

This is interesting.  Do you not care for knives in general, or single blade knives?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 03:08:31 PM

This is interesting.  Do you not care for knives in general, or single blade knives?
I was wondering the samething. Also, you don't like knives because you don't like them, or because of the laws?
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 04:13:09 PM

I was wondering the samething. Also, you don't like knives because you don't like them, or because of the laws?
Nate

WHO CARES?! NO LIKE KNIVES?!

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 06:02:27 PM

Nate

I just don't feel comfortable carrying anything pointy, which I guess is a little ironic to say on a forum dedicated to SAKs & MT's.
I used to be a joiner (jacked it in 2yrs ago after subbying for 8yrs) so was constantly using chisels, circular saws, table saws, jigsaws, routers etc etc - no problem whatsoever....but knife blades or more specifically just knives I tend to avoid especially the very pointed ones. Lambsfoot/sheepsfoot  patterns don't bother me but daggers, sheath knives and the blade pattern found on LM wave, charge and surge really put me about. I never, ever open them up. The LM serrated blade is a beast yet doesn't bother me at all

I've no idea why I'm like this, at home when I'm in the kitchen I tend to do everything with either the serrated bread knife or the very small paring knife - the rest stay in the knife block.

At work I edc my trusty rolson box cutter plus the Balance - funnily enough I cannot remember if I've used the blade on the Balance either.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 06:15:11 PM
Very interesting Tosh.  Thanks for posting and whatever the reason is you have found what works for you. 

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 07:25:54 PM

Nate

I just don't feel comfortable carrying anything pointy, which I guess is a little ironic to say on a forum dedicated to SAKs & MT's.
I used to be a joiner (jacked it in 2yrs ago after subbying for 8yrs) so was constantly using chisels, circular saws, table saws, jigsaws, routers etc etc - no problem whatsoever....but knife blades or more specifically just knives I tend to avoid especially the very pointed ones. Lambsfoot/sheepsfoot  patterns don't bother me but daggers, sheath knives and the blade pattern found on LM wave, charge and surge really put me about. I never, ever open them up. The LM serrated blade is a beast yet doesn't bother me at all

I've no idea why I'm like this, at home when I'm in the kitchen I tend to do everything with either the serrated bread knife or the very small paring knife - the rest stay in the knife block.

At work I edc my trusty rolson box cutter plus the Balance - funnily enough I cannot remember if I've used the blade on the Balance either.

Tosh,if it makes you feel any better,I'm a bit like that with guns...

Since I was a kid,I've been fine with air guns of any or all descriptions. When I joined the gun club,one of the first challenges was to get over being gun shy. Because I'm so involved with the air guns,I make myself shoot live ammo one every six months or so,just to stop myself getting gun shy again.

And after six years,I still Havnt tried shotguns :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 07:32:09 PM
Very interesting Tosh.  Thanks for posting and whatever the reason is you have found what works for you.

+1. Thanks for sharing, and its good you've found a setup that meets your needs.

00 Offline cedricada

Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:30 PM
Cold Steel mini tuff, or the Vic One hand trekker

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 01:37:25 PM
You could get some knives in "nice" colours. It makes them look like "toys" and take away the scary factor (although they are still razor sharp).

Ka-Bar Dozier Hunter

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:13 AM
Vic OH Sentinel is sleek, slim, quite handy, and I think very people friendly. Any knife with a toothpick can't be a "weapon".
G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD