Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hiking equipment

Offline marty1990

Hiking equipment
on: October 13, 2014, 08:09:17 PM
Hey guys, not been here for a while, but wondering if you could help.

Me and my mates are starting to go on hikes. Nothing too much, just easing into it (we're wanting to start do it more regularly), but I'm wondering what kit (clothing mainly) I'll need. I'm on a budget too.

I have a Craghoppers Bear Grylls Mountain Jacket - got it a couple of years ago, only been sponged washed because I figured washing it in a washing machine would mess with the waterproof coating (?). So there's my outer layer.

Now, walking boots, I have a pair of Karrimor ones I got a couple of years ago. I know the quality has dropped from what they used to be, but they seem to be doing the job - touch wood - for now until I can get a decent pair. Would there be any you recommend for a future purchase? Also, walking boots vs walking shoes?

Now everything else, I don't have. I've been reading into it about base layers, mid layers, trousers etc, and this is where I could use the help, especially as we're getting into winter. So, I've been reading into technical t-shirts or something, are they worth it, or should wear a normal t-shirt? I've seen pretty cheap ones (Karrimor) so wondering if a couple of them would do the job? Fleeces, do I go half-zip or full-zip, and does the make matter? I mean, I've seen a couple of Berghaus full and half-zip, but they're pretty pricey, when I can get a cheap Regatta, or even a slightly more expensive Craghoppers fleece - it just doesn't look as nice, but how are they performance wise? Now on to shell jackets. Would I need one? If so, again, particular brand, or would a cheap one do? And last but not least on the clothing; trousers. I've been wearing tracksuit bottoms, but wondering if I'd need hiking trousers? If so, any particular brand, or would a cheap pair of Regatta ones perform the same?

FINALLY, a rucksack. Any cheap good ones you can recommend?

Thanks guys... sorry for the long post.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Hiking equipment
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:17:55 PM
Your outer shell with DWR can be safely washed in a a washer but you have to use something like Nikwash or non-detergent soap (tough to find).  You can revive DWR with Nikwax TxDirect, which is also applied in the washing machine.

Boots:  Lots of options.  If you're not going to use crampons, then light hikers that are waterproof are best.  If there's some scrambling involved, stickier rubber is a bonus.  Boot vs Shoe is your preference.  I like boots, but many prefer just a shoe, even a trail runner.

As for backpacks, most important is comfort and support.  It should snug up nicely to your back and chest straps and good belts help prevent fatigue.  For day hikes, smaller pack is better.  Lots of companies make excellent small packs.  Try them before you buy them.  Fit is extremely personal.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:23:56 PM
Almost all my gear is Scandinavian made gear, so I dont think I can help you much with wich brands are better.

Boots: I prefer leather boots with good grippy soles and gore tex water proofing. Try out different types in the stores and find what fits best for you.

When it comes to underlayers I prefer wool. Keeps you warm even when wet. Also it breathes well. It will get too warm if you wear too much. I prefer to be cold when walking and put on more layers when stopping.

Rucksacks: find what fits you. Generally: The more expensive ones offers more adjustments. I would spend a little extra to get the right pack. A good pack will last for years, a bad one will ruin your hikes. I have had my Norrøna pack for 10 years and its still going strong.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:30:49 AM
I like wool myself and all leather boots in cooler weather and cotton type stuff in the summer months with my all leather boots. I also keep a poncho for when it is raining.
Your pack like others said, try it before you buy it. I like the old A.L.I.C.E. packs myself and have used them for years.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:41:31 AM
I think for boots, when hiking you would want at least a 6" boot to give you more ankle support.  There are great materials in boots now that breathe and are also waterproof, and light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 04:03:24 PM
I have been starting hiking for the last month or so, to get back into shape.  Although out weather is vastly different(winter only around 10-15C, summer hot at 35C, mostly humid all year round).

Here are my thoughts on gears:

Shoes/boots: local terrain is very hilly(~70% land mass is hill or mountain), and depending your style of hiking, I do prefer very light weight trekking shoes/boot.  The reason being heavy boots put on a lot more stress on knee/leg, even though they are more durable in a longer run.  I did some research on those experts in ultra-light hikers(whom usually hike thousands of miles expedition on regular basis), and most will recommend good ventilation light weight shoes/trekker, instead of boots.

Trekking poles: I invested in a pair of good trekking poles by Leki, and I think it worth every cents since it really save my knees.  It majorly lessen all the stress on my leg joints,  and allow me to hike further and faster.  This saving translate to faster recovery after each hike, and lesser chance to injure.  Very important in a long run.

Hat: Some form of head gear is great, when it is cold out or too much sunshine.

Backpack:  I just use my old rucksack by Columbia, and even though it was soaking wet each time after hike, and I rarely wash it(only sun dry it next morning).  It held up quite well, and never has any bacteria or smell problem.  I used to like the more 'tactical' stuff, but the heavy weight nylon usually means more pack-weight, and less room to carry(also a lot more expensive too).  The more well design ones do have mesh back, which allows more ventilation and great for the summer.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:25:43 PM
As an avid hiker myself I suggest the following:
Save Money on the clothing not on the Shoes or the Backpack!

@Shoes: I prefer low cut trekking type shoes over boots, they are lighter and give me more agility. However, if you plan on going through snow fields, go for boots.

@Backpack: That is a tricky one. Make sure it sits well on your hip and your shoulder but does not touch your back (that way you will be sweating much less on your back and be more comfortable over all). For a small backpack I would say a sternum-strap is a must, anything larger than 30 liter you definitively want a hip-belt too.

Example Deuter Aircomfort, the mesh is on your back, but the backpack is curved away. Extremely comfortable and great air circulation.

Personally, I like to have a water system. Easy to refill even in a mountain stream and you will stay hydrated, no problem.

Some tips:
- If you are thirsty, eat something salty. People do not realize that when you hike a day and sweat a bit, you loose a lot of salt. Salami, jerky and the like are excellent.
- Keep your feet dry. Hiking with wet feet spells disaster. An extra pair of socks can save the day.
- Share the load. Talk to your friend, what kind of first-aid kit they are carrying, no use for everybody to bring the same.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 04:40:48 PM

@Shoes: I prefer low cut trekking type shoes over boots, they are lighter and give me more agility. However, if you plan on going through snow fields, go for boots.

@Backpack: That is a tricky one. Make sure it sits well on your hip and your shoulder but does not touch your back (that way you will be sweating much less on your back and be more comfortable over all). For a small backpack I would say a sternum-strap is a must, anything larger than 30 liter you definitively want a hip-belt too.

Example Deuter Aircomfort, the mesh is on your back, but the backpack is curved away. Extremely comfortable and great air circulation.
(Image removed from quote.)

Personally, I like to have a water system. Easy to refill even in a mountain stream and you will stay hydrated, no problem.

Some tips:
- If you are thirsty, eat something salty. People do not realize that when you hike a day and sweat a bit, you loose a lot of salt. Salami, jerky and the like are excellent.
- Keep your feet dry. Hiking with wet feet spells disaster. An extra pair of socks can save the day.
- Share the load. Talk to your friend, what kind of first-aid kit they are carrying, no use for everybody to bring the same.

Excellent points.  BTW, NO cotton socks and I generally stay away from all cotton clothing.  Once it's wet, it's cold and stays cold. 

One last thing, layers are better than bulky clothing, if you need warmth.  When the temps are low, I much prefer hiking in smartwool long underwear, wicking shirt, soft shell and then light puffy (if really cold) rather than one shirt and a bulky down coat

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 04:50:43 PM
Good points about the layers.
Cotton on the other hand. I love it the summer months. No way am I wearing wool in the summer when it is 95F and 70F at night.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 05:05:32 PM
Cotton on the other hand. I love it the summer months. No way am I wearing wool in the summer when it is 95F and 70F at night.

Nate

In the summer, I wear cotton that's been treated so that it feels like cotton but wicks moisture.  There's a lot of UnderArmor gear like that.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 05:07:06 PM

Nate
Another +1 on layering. As for the material, I usually go synthetic (dries much better and is less sticky when sweaty).

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 05:22:03 PM

Nate
Another +1 on layering. As for the material, I usually go synthetic (dries much better and is less sticky when sweaty).
I like the synthetic stuff, but it does not like campfire so much. Embers melt right through the stuff.
I have ruined some pants and a nice pullover to embers.
Nate
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:27:01 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 05:39:35 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Some tips:

Great tips on the salty food, I like to bring along some kind of sports drink(and water), but they never include enough salt in those drinks that could replenish what I loss, and hence salty food is a good idea.

And if the hike is off pavement and/or longer than a few hours, I always plan to stay the night, and always bring my survival kit along in my backpack when I go outdoor.

We had that discussion about safety tips on 'Huge Mora' thread, and to summarize:

-Tell family/friend the route/places you are going
-Avoid separating the group
-Realistic goal and don't over exert
-Stay on the main road and don't take the shortcut
-Always be willing to turn around and head home
-Plan to stay the night

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53435.msg926176.html#msg926176

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
I forgot, some stuff from a military surplus store has some good stuff for cheap. Stuff like Nylon pants. It just maybe in a camo pattern.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 06:58:43 PM

I forgot, some stuff from a military surplus store has some good stuff for cheap. Stuff like Nylon pants. It just maybe in a camo pattern.

Nate

+1

Here you can often find high quality wool socks, underwear, first aid kits, backpacks and sometimes boots cheap at surplus stores.
Its all usually in camo or green though.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 07:19:40 PM
When I'm hiking I only wear synthetic clothing. Cotton just absorbs so much moisture.
You work hard, sweat- and then if the temp drops you freeze. I hate the dampness!

It's always about layers for me.
A lot of your questions are really a matter of personal preference. For Winter I wear synthetic Under Armour base layers. Long johns really but synthetic. Loads of layers too. I wear Merrells for hiking. I have great ones for Winter.

Most of the gear I carry I bought from various military surplus stores. Cheap, good quality.

I like the synthetic stuff, but it does not like campfire so much. Embers melt right through the stuff.
Nate

Ah yes, me too. I stick with sweats or yoga pants around the fire now.
I've wrecked many nice pants over the years by the fire.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 08:30:39 PM

Nate

Ah yes, me too. I stick with sweats or yoga pants around the fire now.
I've wrecked many nice pants over the years by the fire.

Ok, so out ice climbing, a LOT of clothing gets snagged/torn by crampons, ice tools and the terrain at hand.  I have found that having waterproof repair tape (Like Tenacious Tape) handles all those things extremely well.  If matching is important to you, it does come in a variety of colors.  I generally go for dark blue or black.

Yes, there are patches on my clothes, but I tell people the tears are badges of honor, some are epic, some are just good stories.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 12:53:25 AM
With all of these things it's all about getting well fitted gear, boots especially.  When trying on boots forget about the idea of breaking them in, they should feel right from the get-go IMO.  Last time I was boot shopping I had ear marked a few that I thought I'd like to try, got to the shop and ended up with a totally different pair I hadn't even considered, the others were all OK, but the pair I got were like putting on a pair of old slippers (just not so smelly ;)). 

A little controversially I do like to wear a cotton t-shirt as a base layer, all the synthetic ones I've tried over the years just made me sweat more than any cotton ever has. YMMV of course.

When walking you might be surprised by just how warm you keep, even in winter.  It's only when you stop you'll likely want a good mid layer on.  I like a close fitting thick fleece or a wool shirt.  Personally I prefer a full zip to make it easier to put on and off.  A nice long sleeved thermal t-shirt is also a boon IMO.

I find windproof and waterproof are my top priorities when walking, wind and rain will just rip the warmth right out of you.  If the wind picks up I'll reach for my jacket long before my fleece. 

I do normally wear 'quick dry' trousers, but again fit is more important than brand.  Make sure they have all the pockets you need and I also recommend getting at least one zipped pocket for any gear you just cannot lose ( car keys for example).  Tracksuit bottoms are OK-ish, but again the wind will just rip right through them and you'll get cold legs very quickly.  Craghoppers do a nice range that I find good but not pricy.  I also always wear gaiters, but again that's kind of a personally thing, not everyone does.

I could go on, but I won't.  Feel free to ask for any clarifications though.  Also keep in mind all this advice is based around hiking in the UK, other places have very different environments and so the choices will differ some. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:15:19 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 05:42:11 AM
When walking you might be surprised by just how warm you keep, even in winter.  It's only when you stop you'll likely want a good mid layer on.  I like a close fitting thick fleece or a wool shirt.  Personally I prefer a full zip to make it easier to put on and off.  A nice long sleeved thermal t-shirt is also a boon IMO.
I wear shorts when walking, even in snow.
Merino undergarments are all the rage here.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 08:00:44 AM
All I have to add is pertaining to boots. When you buy a new pair be sure to break them in around the house or wear them throughout the day. If you buy a new pair and take them out to hike while new they will most likely tear up your feet.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 11:33:50 AM
I always wondered if your breaking the boots in or the boots are breaking your feet in. Lol!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 01:15:48 PM
With all of these things it's all about getting well fitted gear, boots especially.  When trying on boots forget about the idea of breaking them in, they should feel right from the get-go IMO.  Last time I was boot shopping I had ear marked a few that I thought I'd like to try, got to the shop and ended up with a totally different pair I hadn't even considered, the others were all OK, but the pair I got were like putting on a pair of old slippers (just not so smelly ;)). 

I do normally wear 'quick dry' trousers, but again fit is more important than brand.  Make sure they have all the pockets you need and I also recommend getting at least one zipped pocket for any gear you just cannot lose ( car keys for example). 

I can't agree more on what said here.  Personally, I favor mid-height light weight trekking shoes/boot, and do find the perfect-fit approach works quite well.  I don't mind it to be slightly snug(knowing the material usually stretch over time), but it must be a perfect fit. 

And I sometimes wear/try those shoes on, after I've been walking around a bit, and carry a lengthy conversation with the sales person to see whether I feel 'moist' or 'stuffiness' in the shoes.  If it does, the material could be too dense and not breathable enough for my feet.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 02:10:35 PM

I do normally wear 'quick dry' trousers, but again fit is more important than brand.  Make sure they have all the pockets you need and I also recommend getting at least one zipped pocket for any gear you just cannot lose ( car keys for example). 

I can't agree more on what said here.  Personally, I favor mid-height light weight trekking shoes/boot, and do find the perfect-fit approach works quite well.  I don't mind it to be slightly snug(knowing the material usually stretch over time), but it must be a perfect fit. 

And I sometimes wear/try those shoes on, after I've been walking around a bit, and carry a lengthy conversation with the sales person to see whether I feel 'moist' or 'stuffiness' in the shoes.  If it does, the material could be too dense and not breathable enough for my feet.
You guys never gotten army issued boots, right :D
There is a good argument that can be made for high, stiff, leather boots. You can march through anything, they will support your ankles and they will last forever. But they need serious breaking in, especially their stiffness around the ankles needs getting used to.

It all depends on what terrain you are hiking in.
Snow and rubble: Boots will better support you, keep your feet dry and stones from getting in.
Larger stones: Bouldering shoes. Similar to trekking shoes but with a much stiffer sole, giving you a good stand, even if you can't place the whole foot. This can be hard on your ankles, so I highly recommend bringing a soft ankle brace in case you tire.
Everything else: Trekking shoes, again not a bad move to bring soft ankle brace (especially if you had problems in the past like torn ligaments).

Personally, I have no experience with soft boots, so I can't tell you where they come in. There are also the traditional hiking shoes/boots that are a good compromise between boots and trekking shoes.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 02:39:21 PM
No, I was never issued Army boots. :D  These days there are so many choices in boots then I do think you should be able to get something that will be 'just right' straight out of the box.  I'll concede that a little stiffness is to be expected, especially in a pair of leather boots, but any tightness, pinching, rubbing etc is a big no-no IMO.

It's worth keeping in mind that different countries use different 'lasts' or foot patterns, so you might find that German made boots will fit you better than Spanish made boots (for example).
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Grathr

Hiking equipment
Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 09:27:12 PM
My issued army boots was broken in with my own blood. I had to get up half an hour before everyone else in my room during boot camp to tape up my feet. Luckily we were eventually allowed to buy our own boots after a couple of months, and I got my self a pair of Alfa Beaver boots. There was no more blisters after that.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 09:59:21 PM

Nate

I have a few wool/poly blend that are very comfy in summer, better than cotton.  (true north from Costco).

I'm cheap on clothing, all mine are no name/store brand or lower grade brands like columbia/scott, the bigger names like dead bird are way too expensive for the material used IMO.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:02:52 PM by jzmtl »

Offline marty1990

Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 12:39:02 AM
Whoa, didn't expect to get so many replies. Okay, so my budget might not cover everything, but I'll just give a quick rundown of what I have/have on order. I guess as I get more into it, I can upgrade stuff?

- Bear Mountain Jacket/waterproof

- Karrimor fleece - I did buy a Berghaus one, but the one I received was a completely different one as to what I ordered, so it's been sent back now. I figured a fleece is just a fleece, so may as well keep my Karrimor one I already have, save some money?

- I've ordered a pair of Craghoppers Kiwi Pro trousers - should be here tomorrow, hoping they'll fit

- Karrimor walking boots - as it stands, I can't really afford any new ones, so until I'm more serious I won't get a new pair just yet

- I have a Karrimor rucksack from a couple of years ago, it's not a great rucksack but for now, and until I have the money to get something better, I'll make do with this

- I've seen a long sleeve base wicking layer, and I'll also get a short sleeve version too - they're pretty cheap, wouldn't really matter so much if they're cheap, right?

Is there anything else I've missed?

Now, survival kit. I never actually considered I'd need anything like that... would I? I mean I have a few SAK's (main ones being a Victorinox  Climber, and a Wenger Evo something), a Gerber Dime, Gerber Mini Paraframe, some other cheaper multitools, fire steel, survival blanket etc. I also carry a Gerber Shard everywhere. I mean I'd probably keep a SAK on me, maybe throw one, or the Paraframe into the bottom rucksack, but is there anything else vital I'd need?

Thanks guys, appreciate the answers.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:43:43 AM by marty1990 »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 12:58:48 AM
First aid kit.

Vaseline. Stop to put vaseline on those hotspots before they turn to blisters

Head torch. If you take a wrong turn, you might lose light before you get back

Stove? Might want a hot drink or a soup maybe. A cheapo hexi stove or homemade alcohol stove and an ex-army metal mug would do

Repair kit. Nothing fancy, just a bit of duct tape, a little tube of superglue, and maybe a mini homemade sewing kit

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 05:11:01 AM

Now, survival kit. I never actually considered I'd need anything like that... would I? I mean I have a few SAK's (main ones being a Victorinox  Climber, and a Wenger Evo something), a Gerber Dime, Gerber Mini Paraframe, some other cheaper multitools, fire steel, survival blanket etc. I also carry a Gerber Shard everywhere. I mean I'd probably keep a SAK on me, maybe throw one, or the Paraframe into the bottom rucksack, but is there anything else vital I'd need?

Thanks guys, appreciate the answers.

Depending where you are, the priorities may change slightly, but usually that's how it goes for me(or many)  :)

Tell at least a few what's your plan
First Aid
Keep core temperature stable(not too hot/cold) / Shelter
Fire
Water
Signal
Navigation
Food

So, to keep budget down, I would recommend:

1) Personal first aid kit (wipe/band aid/duct tape/meds/etc)
2) Several transparent large trash bag / Space blanket
3) Cutting tool(I love the combo of knife/folding saw)
4) lighter/ferro rod/tinder(cotton ball with Vaseline)
5) few water purification tabs/container to hold 1L of water
6) flashlight/whistle/cell phone
7) compass/map
8) anything with high calories and sugar

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 09:01:26 AM
Vaseline. Stop to put vaseline on those hotspots before they turn to blisters
I use medical tape for that. Good idea with the vaseline.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%