Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool video review. Cure for loose pliers?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
I found this video review on Youtube.

Is there a way to tighten the loose pliers cited by this reviewer?  Using a hammer and punch to "mushroom" the pliers pivot comes to mind, but that might fracture the casting.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
This is why Gerber should STOP making internally sprung plier heads.
  • Having sprung pliers is really nice  :tu:
  • Putting the springs inside the head around the pivot is really dumb  :td:
What happens is the reduced surface area on the internals inside leads to increased wear and potential deformation, and my MP700's have seen this happen too. The sprung pliers should be considered lighter duty than non-sprung pliers. You might try the hammer and punch method to remove a bit of the slack, but this fix won't last too long, and eventually the wear will increase until the pivot can visably slide fore and aft. If the tool is expected to work hard for a living, then really a different tool should be considered which does not have this construction.

This is an area where Gerber have not impressed me - I'm just fortunate to be able to get away with it for most of my pliers usage. I was REALLY disappointed to hear they had done the same thing on the MP1. Why go to the trouble and expense of making forged pliers, and then hollow them out  to put a spring in  :facepalm:

What a set of puddings!!!  :megaslap:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
I feel bad for the poor guy.  That is NOT a well constructed tool though and is budget priced.  Too bad he lost his leatherman. :D 

He could try to peen that rivet a bit, but that would risk braking it all together since its weak inside.

Thats a really good review/warning overall though.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
I must say I haven't been impressed with anything labeled 'bear grylls' seems like trying to use a celebrity to sell products instead of building the top of the line products for the particular price point. I've seen it a million times.

-AdmSlc

• Zombie Apprentice
I must say I haven't been impressed with anything labeled 'bear grylls' seems like trying to use a celebrity to sell products instead of building the top of the line products for the particular price point. I've seen it a million times.

-AdmSlc

This tool is effectively just another rebadged Suspension (different handles) so not something that was specifically produced for the BG line, So far I've not had any issues with the BG Strata (again a rebadged current tool) but that's internally sprung too, so time will tell

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
What happens is the reduced surface area on the internals inside leads to increased wear and potential deformation ...
I was REALLY disappointed to hear they had done the same thing on the MP1. Why go to the trouble and expense of making forged pliers, and then hollow them out  to put a spring in  :facepalm:

Thanks for explaining the situation with internal plier springs.   I had been weighing the pros and cons of purchasing a Gerber MP1.   You just added to the con list.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Zombie Apprentice
What happens is the reduced surface area on the internals inside leads to increased wear and potential deformation ...
I was REALLY disappointed to hear they had done the same thing on the MP1. Why go to the trouble and expense of making forged pliers, and then hollow them out  to put a spring in  :facepalm:

Thanks for explaining the situation with internal plier springs.   I had been weighing the pros and cons of purchasing a Gerber MP1.   You just added to the con list.

It may be that the forged heads are more resistant to the wear and plastic deformation than the cast ones, but they're too pricey an item for me to find out the hard way. Had these heads been done properly, I'd have no qualms about considering them for heavier duty work - but with "hollow" pivots, who knows :shrug:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD