Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alcohol stove, my latest iteration

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Alcohol stove, my latest iteration
on: October 14, 2014, 06:30:43 PM
After a long period with a very bad back, I needed something to perfect. Here's what I came up with after a few months, and lots of aluminum shavings on the floor.
Weighs very, very little. Brings 2 cups of water to a boil in 5 mins, can also be regulated so it'll simmer or bake. There's an optional heat exchanger (a perforated piece of a cigar tube :) ) that'll increase output at the cost of reduced efficiency, and knock about 30 secs off of the boil time. The coke can slice slides up/down to regulate the burn accurately. The top cap cuts the flame from the center, forces it out the sides, and diffuses the flame, making it better for frying/baking.
The three pot support legs unscrew and slide into the hollow handle for storage, however, everything assembled will slide into a camping mug. The bottom is double layer with an air gap so it'll work well in lower temperatures, and there's also a primer base for when it get really cold. Burns yellow Heat or Denatured Alcohol.
When this sucker is running on high, a stainless steel spoke put into the center of the flame folds in the heat after about 20 secs !! Thankfully, the flame path takes the heat away from the aluminum parts well enough.
photo 1.JPG
* photo 1.JPG (Filesize: 294.88 KB)
photo 2.JPG
* photo 2.JPG (Filesize: 288.96 KB)
photo 3.JPG
* photo 3.JPG (Filesize: 302.4 KB)

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Re: Alcohol stove, my latest iteration
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:57:14 PM
Awesome project!
I love that is well regulated. One of my issues with many stoves is that they go really hot- or hotter.
Great size too.

-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:04 PM
Nice job :tu: JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:04:43 PM
 :tu:
recycling at its most magnificent

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:01:47 PM
:tu:
recycling at its most magnificent

+1  :drool:
Everything’s adjustable

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:23:18 PM
Thats very cool.  :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:01:51 PM
Great bit of tinkering there mate :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:08 PM
Nice!!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 03:13:16 AM
I recently got one of these stoves from neillcurrie,  once I get a chance I will review it properly (or as proper as I can)

I wanted to get out this weekend and play with it,  even bought the denatured alcohol.  however due to my recent illness  I do not have enough strength to open the alcohol   :facepalm:  I guess that is a sign that my body is not yet ready for these activities.  I will do it soon.

I will tell you, just from a visual inspection,  this thing is super cool!  and I am very excited to play with it.
If I can help, let me know 

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 08:32:54 AM
I recently got one of these stoves from neillcurrie,  once I get a chance I will review it properly (or as proper as I can)

I wanted to get out this weekend and play with it,  even bought the denatured alcohol.  however due to my recent illness  I do not have enough strength to open the alcohol   :facepalm:  I guess that is a sign that my body is not yet ready for these activities.  I will do it soon.

I will tell you, just from a visual inspection,  this thing is super cool!  and I am very excited to play with it.

:popcorn:

I've also got a NC stove waiting for some use. But yellow heet isn't easy to get around these parts.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 08:49:03 AM

:popcorn:

I've also got a NC stove waiting for some use. But yellow heet isn't easy to get around these parts.

what about denatured alcohol? 
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 12:26:02 PM
Yellow heat, denatured Alcohol, grain Alcohol(from a liquor store) will all burn fine.
Methylated spirits should be ok too.
Don't use the red bottles of Heet, it's a completely different fuel, burns cooler, and will soot everything up.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:33:11 PM
I love these denatured alcohol coke can stoves. They're so frickin' TINY. This one also sounds like it's a little blast furnace. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%