Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recieved my Custom Benchmade Griptilian

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:02 AM
I just received my custom Grip today! I am kind of disappointed with a few things. First off the clip has the same issue as my other Griptilian. I did not get a picture of it. I guess it is not technically a issue as it is how they all are and is more of a design flaw. If you buy a Griptilian you just have to be alright with the way the clip touches the scale. Next up is the blade centering. It is off on this one as well. Not quite as much as my other Griptilian, but off center in the same direction and very close to the scale on one side. I really did expect more when ordering a custom. You would think they would take the time to make these correct and at least make sure the centering is correct. Next problem is the laser etching. I have seen other custom Griptilians and the laser etching basically removed the black coating and left the color of the blade beneath it. Mine is a gold color which I do not like. The laser etching is not exactly how I placed it in the program either. I do really like this knife, but the fit and finish is just not up to snuff in my opinion even for a production knife and especially lacking for a custom ordered from them. Maybe I am just being picky and expecting to much, but when you have to pay full retail for the knife and some extra for the custom details like blade etching and black liners, lock, and screws I would think they might pay a little extra attention to the assembly and give it a good look before they send it out. I guess not.

I do love the design of the blade etching and that the clip is actually block oxide instead of painted black like my other Griptilian. I also love the black liners, screws, and lock. I do not know if the gold color of the laser etching is a mistake or not. I will most likely call and find out. If the blade was perfectly centered and the etching was not gold I would be thrilled about this knife. Sadly it is not and the blade centering is a common issue in my opinion. I will definitely not be buying any more Griptilians and probably will (sadly) stay away from Benchmades in the future. I could always change my mind (and probably will), but for now I do not see giving them any more of my money.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:51:29 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Re: Recieved my Custom Benchmade Griptilian
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:32:43 AM
They don't seem to be able to pull together a decent one to save themselves. This has literally put me off Benchmade for some time in the future, or at least until they fix their QC process.  :rant:

No you're not being picky, at those prices you should expect nothing but close to perfect.  :think:

However, after I read your first experience with the same company a week ago I would expect you to have learned the lesson first time around and steered away in a different direction. 

And yes, two strikes in a row is bad, very bad. Make sure they see this and your old thread you wrote.

>:D

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 04:39:57 AM
They don't seem to be able to pull together a decent one to save themselves. This has literally put me off Benchmade for some time in the future, or at least until they fix their QC process.  :rant:

No you're not being picky, at those prices you should expect nothing but close to perfect.  :think:

However, after I read your first experience with the same company a week ago I would expect you to have learned the lesson first time around and steered away in a different direction. 

And yes, two strikes in a row is bad, very bad. Make sure they see this and your old thread you wrote.

>:D

Yup, For what I paid I could of bought a Paramilitary II and a Delica 4.  :facepalm: I guess I could return it.  :think:

I was skeptical and I shoudl of listened to myself, but figured I would give them one more shot and especially being a custom it should come perfect. Well I was wrong.  :rofl:

I'm the milk man!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 04:46:25 AM
You're a bold man, either that or very forgiving. I couldn't bring myself to put forward that much when the company had royally disappointed me like that.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 05:04:17 AM
Nice, like the dark green and the etching :tu: JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:08:03 PM
Sorry to hear about all these problems... I've heard lots of people praise Benchmade, I was tempted to add a Griptilian to my wishlist. After this, it's out! Like you said, by the same price you can get a couple of very good Spydercos or Ontarios or Kershaws...

:-\

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

jp Offline dork

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 01:21:20 PM
Too bad. For what it's worth, my Delica 4 blade is off center and it drives me crazy. Seems like a basic requirement for mid-range blades of decent repute. You should send it back. You'll never be happy with it.

Sent from my mind to your mind through the sorcery of language.
If you're not always prepared, you're sometimes prepared.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 01:42:10 PM
Sorry to hear they let you down again Cap'n  :( I must admit I quite like the etching on that actually.

How well does the clip actually hold onto a pocket? Does it suffer because the angle is off to the blade scale? I think the clip would annoy me more than the blade positioning - well, so long as it wasn't catching on the liner anyway. However, my biggest complaint would probably be that the blade locks  :rofl: :P >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:20 PM
Sorry to hear they let you down again Cap'n  :( I must admit I quite like the etching on that actually.

How well does the clip actually hold onto a pocket? Does it suffer because the angle is off to the blade scale? I think the clip would annoy me more than the blade positioning - well, so long as it wasn't catching on the liner anyway. However, my biggest complaint would probably be that the blade locks  :rofl: :P >:D

The clip holds decently and honestly for most everyone it would probably be just fine and not a problem at all. The thing is I am very weird about pocket clips. I like them to be incredibly strong and tight. I wan't full contact to the scale and I wan't it to be very strong as to keep it from accidentally working its way out.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 08:32:52 AM
That's a good lookin Grip Capt :tu:.  I also really like the black lock, screws, and liner. That's the way all of the black bladed Griptilians should come in my opinion. The BO clip is much better than the normal black painted clip which doesn't take long to start looking like crap. That BO should hold up quite well.

You've had some tough luck when it comes to blade centering on your Griptilians. I'd be rather annoyed with that as well. The blade centering on my recently purchased Grip is pretty much spot on. And that's after a fair amount of use as well. Maybe I'll get around to some pictures this weekend. But as far as the issue with the clip that you have, I personally don't find that an issue in the slightest.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 09:07:01 AM
That's a good lookin Grip Capt :tu:.  I also really like the black lock, screws, and liner. That's the way all of the black bladed Griptilians should come in my opinion. The BO clip is much better than the normal black painted clip which doesn't take long to start looking like crap. That BO should hold up quite well.

You've had some tough luck when it comes to blade centering on your Griptilians. I'd be rather annoyed with that as well. The blade centering on my recently purchased Grip is pretty much spot on. And that's after a fair amount of use as well. Maybe I'll get around to some pictures this weekend. But as far as the issue with the clip that you have, I personally don't find that an issue in the slightest.

I really do love the black hardware, liners, and lock as well. Tough luck is right and it has really put me off the Benchmades. Don't get me wrong I still love the Griptilian for some unexplained reason, but I do not see buying more in the future unless they are second hand for a good price and I can get a look at the knife before buying.

If anyone is interested I wrote Benchmade about the custom and they obviously want me to send it in. Now I am not really wanting to have to send yet another brand new Benchmade into their warranty department. It really kills the whole excitement of getting a new knife for me. Here is what they said about the laser etching being a gold color. Not sure what to think of the response.

As to the gold tone to the laser marking that you have on the knife, it is not unusual depending on the laser marking machine used to create the image and its settings.
The custom knives are done with a setting that is meant to fit as many different marking applications as possible as the images are not augmented from what the customer has selected. This is normal for these and not a defect.

It honestly sounds to me like a whole bunch of technical crap to make me feel alright with it being the way it is. If this is a possibility then why is it not represented as such when designing the knife or at least a warning that the etching coloration may vary?

Benchmades customer service has been top notch so far, but I have yet to get my original Griptilian back yet so I have no idea how that will turn out. As far as addressing issues they have been great. The problem is I wish I never had the issues in the first place. If I had not I would most likely be looking for another Benchmade as my next purchase. That is not the case.

I feel like I am ranting and am sorry. I have just been thinking about it a lot.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:09:39 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:25:04 AM
Sorry to hear your having problems with your Grips Capt. Hopefully things will get better.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 05:15:03 PM
Just now catching up on this thread.  I was wondering Capt, with the money spent on the last 3 knives, 2 of which you are sorely disappointed with, it very well may be time to think about a "real" custom.  I dont know what that expense would entail but I imagine mass manufacturers surely do their best "ish" happens. 

I don't know it these latest 3 are going to see usage or be more of pocket jewelry but a true custom may be the way to go. 

I'm sorry to hear about this latest disappointment but I will add this knife looks pretty fricken awesome. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 07:06:11 PM
Just now catching up on this thread.  I was wondering Capt, with the money spent on the last 3 knives, 2 of which you are sorely disappointed with, it very well may be time to think about a "real" custom.  I dont know what that expense would entail but I imagine mass manufacturers surely do their best "ish" happens. 

I don't know it these latest 3 are going to see usage or be more of pocket jewelry but a true custom may be the way to go. 

I'm sorry to hear about this latest disappointment but I will add this knife looks pretty fricken awesome.

Last 3 knives? What was the third? I only bought two Griptilians. Either way, I get what you are saying. I'm not really looking for a "real" custom unless they can be had for under $300 which I doubt, but honestly do not know for sure. I'm under the impression that a "real" custom will cost me $700+ now a days. For me personally I have always wanted a Chris Reeve Sebenza so I would probably buy one of those first. Sadly I am not in the position anymore to be spending a bunch of money on anything for a while though. I kinda went wild in the last month or so. I have been thinking of selling some stuff off, but I always change my mind.  :D
I'm the milk man!

jp Offline dork

Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 04:01:01 AM
Here is what they said about the laser etching being a gold color. Not sure what to think of the response.

As to the gold tone to the laser marking that you have on the knife, it is not unusual depending on the laser marking machine used to create the image and its settings.
The custom knives are done with a setting that is meant to fit as many different marking applications as possible as the images are not augmented from what the customer has selected. This is normal for these and not a defect.

It honestly sounds to me like a whole bunch of technical crap to make me feel alright with it being the way it is. If this is a possibility then why is it not represented as such when designing the knife or at least a warning that the etching coloration may vary.

I feel like I am ranting and am sorry. I have just been thinking about it a lot.

Yes, that certainly is a bunch of mallarky, not to mention that they seem to have opened up a whole other can of worms, as you've pointed out: Surprise random etchings! Nobody can change the laser marking machine settings?? That's lazy and unprofessional. You deserve the rant.

Sent from my mind to your mind through the sorcery of language.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:05:31 AM by dork »
If you're not always prepared, you're sometimes prepared.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 05:25:41 AM
The third knife I was thinking about was your recent Spyderco.  I know you are super happy with it but I guess I was thinking about total dollars spent. 

I don't know squat about limited or "real" customs so I'm sure I sound lame but heck man I'm pissed for you.  The latest BM would have sent me over the top.  As I said "ish" happens with production runs of anything but gosh darn it not with the second BM you bought. 

I sure hope they sort you out and make it worth your troubles.  It would also be nice if they could some how restore your faith in their brand, though how I'm not sure. 

All the best to you.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 05:30:14 AM
There's just some about the griptilan no matter how much you dress it up and make it look good it still sucks.

I've had a few benchmade s and all have been great knives except the 551 griptilan I've had.

I'm glad you did a special order.  It looks great.

-----------------------------------

I got to add.  I own a 531 and 32. Both were made perfect.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:35:18 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 06:02:11 AM
There's just some about the griptilan no matter how much you dress it up and make it look good it still sucks.

I've had a few benchmade s and all have been great knives except the 551 griptilan I've had.

Translated to: I absolutely hate the model you bought, but uhhh..... nice knife.  :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 06:23:41 AM

Translated to: I absolutely hate the model you bought, but uhhh..... nice knife.  :rofl:

:rofl:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 06:34:41 AM
I have tried a few  Benchmad's in my day but never really warmed up to them, they just dont feel right nor did the quality set right with me but I am a picky guy!

That said I would not be happy with it and return it for a refund and let them know that twice you got a lemon and will not try a third time, then I would buy a Spyderco!  :)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 06:59:14 AM
I have tried a few  Benchmad's in my day but never really warmed up to them, they just dont feel right nor did the quality set right with me but I am a picky guy!

That said I would not be happy with it and return it for a refund and let them know that twice you got a lemon and will not try a third time, then I would buy a Spyderco!  :)

I already told them the whole story and how I lost all confidence and interest in their company.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 10:21:00 AM
...Benchmad's...

Yeah, that sums it up right.

:whistle:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 08:12:53 PM
Weeeeell........  The custom is getting returned for a refund.

I called Benchmade today and their customer service was once again very nice and helpful. I sent over the pictures again and they talked to the laser guy to see if they did it again if it would turn out any different. I guess the answer was no as I received a call back saying they were sending out a return label and they where sorry. Back home she goes.
I'm the milk man!

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 10:40:04 PM
That gold laser etch would actually look really nice with FDE scales! I agree it looks a little off with the OD scales.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 10:51:32 PM
That gold laser etch would actually look really nice with FDE scales! I agree it looks a little off with the OD scales.

True. It would probably look great with their sand color scales as well.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 01:48:38 AM
Sorry to hear that Cap. But at least you'll get your money back.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 02:24:46 AM
It's anything you buy these days... Where is the quality anymore  ???
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 02:41:06 AM
I spoke with the supervisor over at Benchmade and he told me he spoke with the assembly team as well as the laser marking guy. I was told if I wanted they could make it possible to have the laser etching look how I wanted originally. Meaning the etching would be the color of the blade underneath. I was also told he talked with the assembly team and he thinks he has addressed the reason why they are having centering issues. I do not know the reason though. I declined and am choosing to return it for a refund at this time though.

The supervisor thanked me for bringing the blade centering issue to his attention and hopefully at the very least it helps Benchmade put out products without this issue in the future.

I will give Benchmades customer service a huge thumbs up. Everything was handled excellent.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 02:49:05 AM
Well hopefully they do do something and step their QC up a notch or two.  Glad to hear that they have great CS though. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%