Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar vs. Swisstool.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Rebar vs. Swisstool.
on: October 17, 2014, 05:19:32 PM

I think I have it narrowed down to my choice for my next mt: Rebar vs. Swisstool. Which one should I go with? Go!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Rebar vs. Swisstool.
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:28:33 PM
Are you thinking Swisstool Spirit or the regular Swisstool? Because the size-difference between the Swisstool and Rebar is quite big, the Swisstool being in the 4,5" class.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:35:00 PM
Are you thinking Swisstool Spirit or the regular Swisstool? Because the size-difference between the Swisstool and Rebar is quite big, the Swisstool being in the 4,5" class.

True... if you mean SwissTool, go with the SwissTool, but if you mean the Spirit, go with the Spirit  :D
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:38:51 PM

It would be the regular Swisstool.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 05:41:47 PM
Rebar!! Better yet, forget I either one and go with a Surge. ;D
On a serious note, if you mean the Rebar or Spirit. It is really up to you. Both are good tools. Keep in mind, the Spirit is very slick when wet or greasy and lacks replaceable wire cutters. But, its plus is outside tools.
Rebar on the other hand, while it does have replaceable wire cutters, lacks outside tools. 

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:42:33 PM
Ok, 86 what I just wrote.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 05:43:42 PM
I guess, it depends on what size tool you want.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 05:52:27 PM
I guess, it depends on what size tool you want.

Nate

I carry several items so weight is important, too.   

I have both a Rebar and Swisstool X and never belt carry the Swisstool because it weighs 9.9 ounces vs. 6.7 ounces for the Rebar.

Both are excellent multitools, though the Swisstool implements are easier to deploy because they are on the outside of the handles.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 05:59:33 PM
The Rebar works better for me. The pliers suit what I do more (finer tip, coarser teeth) and the wire cutters on my Spirit are so bad that they might as well not exist. The only thing I've found they cut well is welding wire, which they're pretty good at.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
Even Rebar's tool are not outside accessible, but i can deploy the knives on Rebar faster that SwissTool, thanks to its large finger cut out.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 10:02:40 PM
If you plan on using it hard, go Rebar.
If you want to play with it, SwissTool.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 11:49:49 PM
No need to be gentle with a Swisstool, this tool is build like a tank (be it a very nice looking tank ...) and can take quite a beating. 

Here are some random pics ...  :whistle:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 11:52:26 PM

True... if you mean SwissTool, go with the SwissTool, but if you mean the Spirit, go with the Spirit  :D

I feel the same! :D

The rebar is good but not in the same class to me as the swisstools.  The full size swisstool is a heavy one to carry though!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 12:21:51 AM
If you plan on using it hard, go Rebar.
If you want to play with it, SwissTool.

Eh?  :think: Scratch that, reverse it  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 12:25:33 AM
I'd go Swisstool every time as I used and abused mine for years with no complaint :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 02:21:44 AM

I feel the same! :D

The rebar is good but not in the same class to me as the swisstools.  The full size swisstool is a heavy one to carry though!
Ofcoarse the Rebar is not, it is a medium tool compared to a large tool like a Swisstool.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 05:23:30 AM
I like the swisstool for its outside accessible tools, but they are a bit hard and awkward to deploy and I would like to see the pliers open wider.  The wire cutters are fantastic. As for the rebar it's like a modern version of the pst, enough said.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:07 PM
I have edc both the rebar and that Swisstool x (not spirit) Swisstool wins.
Rebar was flimsy. Knife blades where  way too thin.
Saw broke because of the hole for opening.
I have never had a tool that was so bad designed. Not speaking for quality but the design. They should not have the saw and file come to a blunt tip. Because that they are weak and have a small surface.

I really liked the idea behind the rebar but the design of the tools ruined it for me.

Swisstool x is an edc monster, you can not have a better edc tool box with ya.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 10:11:28 PM
Kind of an unfair comparison.  It's like comparing an F-150 Platinum to a Toyota Tacoma...... not even in the same ballpark. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 11:25:43 PM
I had both the Swisstool and the Rebar. I sold the Swisstool, so for me the Rebar won out.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 12:44:16 AM

Kind of an unfair comparison.  It's like comparing an F-150 Platinum to a Toyota Tacoma...... not even in the same ballpark. 

wait... Which one is which? :think: :whistle:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 01:00:51 AM
I agree with the majority here, if you are undecided weight is a huge factor. I had the st300 and now I have a rebar. Almost the same loadout but the rebar is much lighter while maintaining capabilities. If you don't care for the weight and you're looking for a workhorse then the swisstool may be the way to go especially with outside accessible tools. Weight and carry method will probably be the deal breakers either way. Good luck :tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline BASguy

Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 01:15:42 AM

wait... Which one is which? :think: :whistle:

My point was just that it seemed odd to make a comparison of two dissimilar tools, but clearly the OP felt these 2 were worth a comparison as they met his preference standards.
I would think if you're not a heavy user then the Rebar would be adequate for performance and its lighter weight would be a bonus.  If you're a heavy user/tradesman type then I'd think the SwissTool would be a better option. 

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 09:55:33 AM

Very unfair.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 09:56:56 AM
I had both the Swisstool and the Rebar. I sold the Swisstool, so for me the Rebar won out.

I had both swisstool and Spirit, didn't like them and got rid of them quickly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:59:24 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline BASguy

Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 05:08:22 PM

I had both swisstool and Spirit, didn't like them and got rid of them quickly.
It would be a boring place if we all liked the same things.  I'm sure they went on to fulfilling lives where they were loved and respected

us Offline BASguy

Rebar vs. Swisstool.
Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 05:14:14 PM

I think I have it narrowed down to my choice for my next mt: Rebar vs. Swisstool. Which one should I go with? Go!

I'm wondering if you've considered the MP600?  I had recently (a few months back) gotten a BO Rebar, but was unimpressed with it and gifted it to nephew.  Having an urge for BO I ended up with a MP600.  My expectations were low, based on a lot of negative Gerber sentiment on this site, so I was very surprised to find that I really do like the tool.  It needs a few mods to be a bit more functional for me, but given its price point and Made in USA status it's a pleasant surprise.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 05:34:26 PM
I carry a Rebar but have :drool: over pics of the Swiss Tool - the one with the Vic scissors. I'd narrow it down by desired size. The Swiss Tool is larger/heavier than the Rebar.
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 07:35:47 PM
I EDC a rebar, and I use it very hard.  My only complaint is the file sucks.  It's too aggressive and really just snags the edge of whatever metal you are trying to file with it.  Pretty much any other file is better (Been a Machinist for years, I have a million files).  Other than that, the Rebar is a fantastic hard use tool.  It's easily in the same class as the Swisstools.  For some reason the Swisstools have this cult following that would have one believe they are God's gift to the tool world, but honestly they are just good tools, nothing more.  I actually don't care for the phillips on any of them, I've rounded way too many off them off with normal use.  The flat drivers shouldn't be polished either, for me they tend to slip out of slots way too easily.  Other than that, I love the Swisstools and I do plan on getting another Spirit X one day, but I doubt it will remove any of my Leatherman's from my belt. 
I sincerely wish Leatherman would adopt the Chisel into their line for once.  That's a hell of a tool to have in a MT!

Say what you want about rusty ol' Leatherman, but I have never seen anyone in person carrying a Swisstool.  I'm not bashing them, but tradesmen here where I live don't even know they exist.  There are 18 Building Maintenance Engineers in my department.  7 carry Leatherman(myself included), 2 carry a SOG, one carries a gerber, one carries a Winchester cheapo, one carries a kershaw select fire, the rest carry nothing but a pair of channelocks and a klein ten in one. 

Let the beatings begin, I know they're coming!!   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 07:44:50 PM
I EDC a rebar, and I use it very hard.  My only complaint is the file sucks.  It's too aggressive and really just snags the edge of whatever metal you are trying to file with it.  Pretty much any other file is better (Been a Machinist for years, I have a million files).  Other than that, the Rebar is a fantastic hard use tool.  It's easily in the same class as the Swisstools.  For some reason the Swisstools have this cult following that would have one believe they are God's gift to the tool world, but honestly they are just good tools, nothing more.  I actually don't care for the phillips on any of them, I've rounded way too many off them off with normal use.  The flat drivers shouldn't be polished either, for me they tend to slip out of slots way too easily.  Other than that, I love the Swisstools and I do plan on getting another Spirit X one day, but I doubt it will remove any of my Leatherman's from my belt. 
I sincerely wish Leatherman would adopt the Chisel into their line for once.  That's a hell of a tool to have in a MT!

Say what you want about rusty ol' Leatherman, but I have never seen anyone in person carrying a Swisstool.  I'm not bashing them, but tradesmen here where I live don't even know they exist.  There are 18 Building Maintenance Engineers in my department.  7 carry Leatherman(myself included), 2 carry a SOG, one carries a gerber, one carries a Winchester cheapo, one carries a kershaw select fire, the rest carry nothing but a pair of channelocks and a klein ten in one. 

Let the beatings begin, I know they're coming!!   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Probably cuz you live in the US.
Victorinox is the most sold in europe. Atleast ten times more than lm, maybe fifteen or twenty.

For me both the rebar and the swisstool x are decent tools.
They both do the job.
But the Swisstool is just a bit better, and that is the reason why i edc it.
They fixed the things that annoyed me on the rebar= winner

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD