Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Glock Field Knife 78.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Glock Field Knife 78.
on: October 18, 2014, 08:14:04 PM
I came across this beauty at the local gun & archery shop.

I didn't know anything about the knife other than I liked it...and it appeared to fit in with the rest of my fixed blade collection. After taking it home, I quickly noticed online that there is a whole lot of info about this knife...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_knife

I didn't know that the bent guard was meant to be used as a bottle opener...so that makes it a multi-tool lol...yeah right, I need no justifications. :D

My copy is the black version.

I fear these tactical type one piece knives are growing on me. I know I will have lost if completely if I start looking for Fairbairn Sykes.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Glock Field Knife 78.
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:17:42 PM
I love my Glock Field knife. Dang thing is basically indestructible. I like to use mine to throw. It is perfectly weighted for it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:59:34 AM
My Glock81 saw back is probably my favorite field knife. I would edc it if it weren't for the knife laws TX. Where I used to live had no restrictions I could and did walk around with everything from a small hunter to a large kukri depending on my plans for the day..So It lives in my trunk with my tools and my kit. Not on me, but close at hand.

They are not full tang but have a separation between the 2nd and 3rd band on the grip to provide for impact and electrical insulation.

I remebered this x-ray photo from a while back. The Glock 78 is no4 counting left to right. You can easily recognize the profile and guard.
You can see the separation and the bayonet socket clearly.
Now don't confuse this feature for a structural weakness the only image I have ever found of the tang coming through was someone who cut away the handle to find out if it was full or not.

If you pry out that cap on the pommel you should find the socket for the Styer AUG Bayonet mount(depending on issuing country and adapter many use US M16style too).  I've never had reason pull mine to find out if its there on the civilian retail models since I don't have an AUG, but I don't see why it wouldn't have it.

And while google'n the photos I found another thread over on bladeforums that someone has a bit of history with early compeating models with pics but half the img links are broken still cool though http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1104535-Thoughts-on-the-Glock-81-78
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:22:00 PM
Thanks for the great link.  :salute:  :)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:19:35 PM
Great link thanks :)

I've still got mine round my mum and dads so I may need to claim it back now :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 05:05:14 PM
Chako, thanks for sharing.  And also thanks to Noa Isumi for the Xray pictures and the link, very informative.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:50:53 PM
Thanks for sharing this perfect knife. This knife seems to be of 9 inches blade which makes it a perfect combat and tactical knife. The bottle opener application of this knife is so good. The sheath of the knife takes care of us while we are caryying it. Have you got these knives online or from any physical location.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:05:28 PM
I'm getting one of those some day. Suitable for throwing too...

:drool: Thanks for sharing, guys.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:21:13 PM
Blade is 6.5in
Which is my complaint as the law here says nothing carried off your property over 5.5 without a good reason like theatre ,reenacting, ceremonial, official uniform or hunting.
Figures Texas the one state with a proud association to a knife (bowie) and we cant carry it.
Hopefully that will change soon, bill has already been authored for the new session.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%