Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

mp 600 takedown question

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
mp 600 takedown question
on: October 19, 2014, 01:45:58 PM
How do you best remove the axle screws? What tools do you use, and how do you keep from marring them? I've searched all the history I can and I found some "mod" tutorials, but mostly I need to know about this portion of the process.  Thanks in advance...

Stew
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: mp 600 takedown question
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:35:31 PM
I used an LM Crunch and put some tape over the teeth to keep it from marring the pivots. A pair of vise grips or other pliers will work as well.

Heat the pivots to loosen the loctite and then apply pressure gently until it unscrews smoothly. There is only one side of the pivot that will unscrew and this can be determined by observing the pivot ends. One mates into the handle and the other sits on top.

Hope this helps.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 07:41:48 PM
^^^ Exactly.  It's pretty simple.  I managed it when I built my MP425.  If I can do it, anyone can..... :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:36:25 PM
Thank you both. Toolslinger, I was going to PM  you but you already answered my question. JD, I was not going to PM you but rather curse your name for all the trouble you've caused me. I now own 6 Pro Scouts because of you! :bnghd:

Stew

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:39:20 PM
:hatsoff: that's what I'm here for. :D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:35:54 PM
All hail Father Flicky, and his great Flicky powers!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:26:33 PM
I need someone to do this mod for me or I will screw it up. If I can't drive it or shoot it, I WILL mess it up. Anyone interested in helping out? Maybe for a trade of some sort.....Father?

Stew

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 10:28:00 PM
I'd offer to do it, but you might just end up with a bag of parts back!!  :ahhh  Tear into my Jeep: Yes   Tear into a Gerber: No  :facepalm:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 02:19:03 AM
I need someone to do this mod for me or I will screw it up. If I can't drive it or shoot it, I WILL mess it up. Anyone interested in helping out? Maybe for a trade of some sort.....Father?

Stew

What are you looking to do?  Trust me Stew, if it doesn't have a firing pin, I usually can't get it apart and together again either.  But the only problem I ran into with the MP was that my hands shake a little, thanks to some youthful stupidity.  Made the washers a bit difficult to get into the correct position, but I managed it.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53786.0.html

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 02:23:32 AM
I just installed a saw and coupler from a scout in a BO BN 600. Thanks to you guys, Joel and the Captain, it came out perfectly. I love this thing now. Got rid of that serrated blade and that useless lanyard ring. My new truck multi.

Stew... :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:17:41 AM by scattergun13 »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 02:28:44 AM
Sweet!
Gonna need pics of it Stew.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 02:31:16 AM
Sweet!
Gonna need pics of it Stew.

Nate

Yes Sir. I'll try to get them posted from my office tomorrow. Thanks all for the advice.

Stew

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 03:07:17 AM
I just installed a saw and coupler from a scout in a BO BL 600. Thanks to you guys, Joel and the Captain, it came out perfectly. I love this thing now. Got rid of that serrated blade and that useless lanyard ring. My new truck multi.

Told you it was easy.  ;) Glad it came out well. You did make sure to put the washers in correctly right?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 03:08:12 AM
I couldn't wait, so here it is fellas. It's not on par with the mods that you all do, but for my first one, it got the BN 600 exactly where I wanted it to be. No change in the flickability whatsoever. I'm pleased with the outcome. Thanks all.

Stew
IMG-20141019-00442 gerber saw.jpg
* IMG-20141019-00442 gerber saw.jpg (Filesize: 72.32 KB)

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:22 AM
I just installed a saw and coupler from a scout in a BO BL 600. Thanks to you guys, Joel and the Captain, it came out perfectly. I love this thing now. Got rid of that serrated blade and that useless lanyard ring. My new truck multi.

Told you it was easy.  ;) Glad it came out well. You did make sure to put the washers in correctly right?

Yes Sir I did but in the interest of transparency Captain. I scavenged the coupler from the beat up 600 you sent me. It remains functional and sets on my desk as a display piece but i did use the coupler from it. Hope you're not pissed. :cheers:

Stew

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 03:11:53 AM
Nice job Scatty  :tu: Those Remgrit saw's can't do what most multitool saws can, but they can do a lot of cutting on stuff the others can't touch. If you ever lose you're handcuff keys, you're sorted now  :tu: :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 03:12:46 AM
I also found a brand new blue/black 600 pro scout and a brand new stainless 600 pro scout, both with sheaths on e-bay yesterday. I happily paid $60.00 for both since they are brand new in sheath and the blue one is rare. Do you think I got burned?

Stew

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 03:15:23 AM

Stew

What are you looking to do?  Trust me Stew, if it doesn't have a firing pin, I usually can't get it apart and together again either.  But the only problem I ran into with the MP was that my hands shake a little, thanks to some youthful stupidity. Made the washers a bit difficult to get into the correct position, but I managed it.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53786.0.html

Those washers are pretty awful to keep in place and line up, and I'm not too shaky .....YET

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 03:15:40 AM
Nice job Scatty  :tu: Those Remgrit saw's can't do what most multitool saws can, but they can do a lot of cutting on stuff the others can't touch. If you ever lose you're handcuff keys, you're sorted now  :tu: :P

Great idea. I have this thing, once I put cuffs on, it's because I damn well meant to. I'm not taking them off, that's what rookies are for. Now if I accidentally can't get them off of Kat, well that's another story. I may have to summon the good Captain or Derekmac for some help. They'll have my back, I'm sure. :rofl:

Stew...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 03:18:36 AM

Great idea. I have this thing, once I put cuffs on, it's because I damn well meant to. I'm not taking them off, that's what rookies are for. Now if I accidentally can't get them off of Kat, well that's another story. I may have to summon the good Captain or Derekmac for some help. They'll have my back, I'm sure. :rofl:

Stew...
"Sit's not so patiently waiting for a help rescue message to come through"  :wait:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 03:18:46 AM

Yes Sir I did but in the interest of transparency Captain. I scavenged the coupler from the beat up 600 you sent me. It remains functional and sets on my desk as a display piece but i did use the coupler from it. Hope you're not pissed. :cheers:

Stew

Not pissed at all.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 03:20:38 AM
I'm also considering doing a bit of Dremel work on the fitting end of the saw blade so that I can invert it in the tool. This will give me more clearance when using it. Since it is Rem Grit it shouldn't pose a safety risk and should still fit fine. Just a thought... :think:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 03:53:03 AM
I also found a brand new blue/black 600 pro scout and a brand new stainless 600 pro scout, both with sheaths on e-bay yesterday. I happily paid $60.00 for both since they are brand new in sheath and the blue one is rare. Do you think I got burned?

Stew

That was a bargain, I would have happily paid over $60 just for the blue one (I've been looking for one in good shape for ages, the one I have is a bit worn and scruffy looking). Well done !   :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 03:56:03 AM

Stew

That was a bargain, I would have happily paid over $60 just for the blue one (I've been looking for one in good shape for ages, the one I have is a bit worn and scruffy looking). Well done !   :tu:

That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for the input. The blue one didn't have a mark on it, neither did the other one for that matter. I thought it was fair for both, new with sheaths. I've bought 6 pro scouts in the last 48 hours. I think I need an intervention. :ahhh As soon as the sellers post went up he started the bid at $30.00 with 5 days to go. I messaged him and offered $60.00 for a buy it now price if he would change the listing. It was all done in 3 minutes.

Stew
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:58:24 AM by scattergun13 »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 03:59:33 AM
I'm also considering doing a bit of Dremel work on the fitting end of the saw blade so that I can invert it in the tool. This will give me more clearance when using it. Since it is Rem Grit it shouldn't pose a safety risk and should still fit fine. Just a thought... :think:

Hmm, that would mean all the pressure is on the locking mechanism, which is not probably not designed for that sort of stress.  Maybe not a huge safety issue with a remgrit blade, but with any saw blade that has sharp teeth it definitely could cause injuries if it lets go under pressure (not to mention whatever is being cut).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 04:04:22 AM

Hmm, that would mean all the pressure is on the locking mechanism, which is not probably not designed for that sort of stress.  Maybe not a huge safety issue with a remgrit blade, but with any saw blade that has sharp teeth it definitely could cause injuries if it lets go under pressure (not to mention whatever is being cut).

I think you're right. I'll just be happy with it as is. Thanks again. :cheers:

Stew

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 11:15:12 AM
Nice work on the mod Stew.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 11:29:02 AM
Nice one mate.  :tu: 

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 12:30:42 PM
Nice work. Makes me want to carry my modded 600 again. :multi:

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 02:07:30 PM
Thanks all for the comments and the advice. It was actually quite simple and went off without a hitch. The fact that I'm so proud of what I accomplished should speak volumes about how dumb I really am. I could screw up a one man rock fight, and I'll readily admit that this is as far as I ever want to attempt a mod. I even asked the Captain if I could mail it to him. He along with JAfromMN encouraged me to try it and you all gave me great advice, I'm pleased with the outcome.
I have many other multi's and I know there is higher quality out there, but for my real world needs, there's just something about these Gerbers. :multi:

:cheers: all

Stew

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%