Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chris Reeve Sebenza

gb Offline Pattas29

Chris Reeve Sebenza
on: October 20, 2014, 10:47:05 AM
Ok these are really catching my eye at the minute. So if you have one lets see it please  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Chris Reeve Sebenza
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 11:10:56 AM
I wish I COULD post a pic of one. I have been eyeballing one for years. Sorta out of my price range.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:16:47 AM
I am considering what I can sell to get the money for one.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25:21 AM

What one are you after?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:34:17 AM
I do have a small Sebenza and Umnumzaan, they are definitely well made and with good F&F.  Maybe I haven't use them enough, but of a wide price range of folders I owned, Umnumzaan is one of the most difficult folders to open.  Those two have always been shelf queens to me, but after seeing the following videos, I am not entirely sure it will be a great idea to put them in harder use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1oq7PzjJkY&list=PLFEDE5EDC5F98EEDB&index=6

I am not saying those tests are conclusive or definitive, and I do hold CRK products in high regards.  However, I was slightly disappointed to see such vast difference in comparison.  I know it will not entirely realistic to expect a knife to cut 7-8 times 'better' when the price different are probably that much more, but from a strict user point of view, wouldn't it be normal to expect at least somewhat similar performance?

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 12:55:21 PM
Here's my unsolicited counsel on the Sebenza and other CRK knives.  They are very well made - no doubt about it.  And at their MSRP, they should be.  But they also don't actually cut stuff any better than a $40 knife.  So before pulling the trigger, maybe consider why you want one.  If its for the fun and enjoyment of owning a high quality knife with titanium, a smooth pivot and lots of bling, then go for it.  But if your goal is merely to cut stuff, then there are way better options when price is factored in.  But the guys who love them really, really love them.  I'm about halfway in between digging them and feeling stupid for dropping $1300 on 4x knives that I don't carry very often.   :)

See also Nutnfancy's Youtube review of the Sebenza.  I think it nails it.  I would be totally on board with the Sebenza at $170.  Rock on.

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 01:36:48 PM

What one are you after?

I am after a Small Sebenza 21 mate

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 02:16:23 PM
Here's my unsolicited counsel on the Sebenza and other CRK knives.  They are very well made - no doubt about it.  And at their MSRP, they should be.  But they also don't actually cut stuff any better than a $40 knife.  So before pulling the trigger, maybe consider why you want one.  If its for the fun and enjoyment of owning a high quality knife with titanium, a smooth pivot and lots of bling, then go for it.  But if your goal is merely to cut stuff, then there are way better options when price is factored in.  But the guys who love them really, really love them.  I'm about halfway in between digging them and feeling stupid for dropping $1300 on 4x knives that I don't carry very often.   :)

(Image removed from quote.)

See also Nutnfancy's Youtube review of the Sebenza.  I think it nails it.  I would be totally on board with the Sebenza at $170.  Rock on.

I am sure when you are sitting fondling them you don't feel stupid ha ha

The top one in your picture looks like exactly what I want. I have a good few knives I basically want a Sebenza because of all the hype and I think they look great. My favourite knife at the moment is my PM2 (folder that is I love my Busse knives) but I think a Sebenza would make a good addition.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 02:23:44 PM
Powernoodle you pretty much nailed ( as well as nut fancy ) my feelings on some of the higher end knives.  I think they are very good looking knives but as the video Comis showed you cannot expect these knives will perform X times better because of the money spent.

Now that being said, if someone is after a well crafted piece of pocket jewelry then rock on.  I've not seen many high end blades do much more than ride in pocket or sit on display, neither is a bad thing.  Heck if I had the cash I'd get one too.   

Powernoodle beautiful collection  :tu: 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 02:38:00 PM
I am also after a Spyderco Delica 4 with black handle and a sabre grind if anyone has one  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 03:03:08 PM
If got one of those, I would use the hell out of it. Not gonna spend that kinda money and have it lay around. Its gonna work for its keep. >:D

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 04:16:03 PM
Had a large Sebenza 21, sold it after a couple of days. Just couldn't justify the it as it was a little underwhelming in hand for the price.

Got a small Sebenza 21 Insingo a year later. Should have learned from the first one, I never carry it and can't seem to like/justify it for the price.

If you're interested, I will be selling it at some point. Drop me a PM.

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 04:30:11 PM
What does the insingo signify? Is that a model of a sebenza?

Ha ha even if we can reach a deal I imagine I would need a little time to get the money together ;) ha ha

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 04:51:16 PM
What does the insingo signify? Is that a model of a sebenza?

Ha ha even if we can reach a deal I imagine I would need a little time to get the money together ;) ha ha

The Insingo is CRK's designation for their sheepsfoot pattern blade. There are no other differences to handle or materials, etc.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 05:45:33 PM
As a owner of CRK knives, I tend to agree with what Powernoodle said earlier, that I am feeling somewhere in between digging and feeling stupid for spending that much on them.  Don't get me wrong, it is quite well engineered and workmanship is great, but ranging from 350-500+ a piece, I think it is beyond reasonable doubt that precise engineering and workmanship should be a given.  I just wish I could get more use out of it, to justify its cost, but can't sincerely say I have the heart to make hard use out of it. 

So if anyone is getting it for brag factor, I think it would be quite high since it is well accepted brand in well known forums.  But in terms of price/performance ratio, I would estimate it is average or even low, depending on personal wealth.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 06:58:38 PM
The top one in your picture looks like exactly what I want. . . . My favourite knife at the moment is my PM2

Being the swell guy that I am, I just happen to have a little comparo on the Small Sebenza vs. PM2.  Though the PM2 is bigger, the cutting surface of the two knives is pretty close to the same:  http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/998277-Small-Sebenza-vs-Para-2.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 07:37:24 PM
Friend just bought one, played with it, they are well made but not $500 well made.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 08:14:04 PM
I have been drooling over the Sebenza for a while now and have been debating on selling some stuff off to get one. Mine would only be for collection purposes. You might find these videos worth the watch.

I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 10:29:05 PM
The top one in your picture looks like exactly what I want. . . . My favourite knife at the moment is my PM2

Being the swell guy that I am, I just happen to have a little comparo on the Small Sebenza vs. PM2.  Though the PM2 is bigger, the cutting surface of the two knives is pretty close to the same:  http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/998277-Small-Sebenza-vs-Para-2.

Question is Noodle life or death situation you can only have one or the other. Which do you choose?

And what would you sell that small sebenza for ;)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 11:00:48 PM
I only have one expensive folder, and I too have had the "borderline regret" for paying so much for something that doesn't cut any better than a cheaper knife. The Byrd Tern I got for around 1/10th the price cuts better, sharpens easier, and gets far more pocket time. No more expensive folders for me, the additional expense just isn't worth it IMHO

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:08:48 PM
Thanks capt, I hadn't seen those vids.  :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 11:12:54 PM
Thanks capt, I hadn't seen those vids.  :salute:

No problem.  :tu:

I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 11:58:40 PM
I've looked at Sebenzas on and off for a couple of years, and the thing that's always made it a non-starter for me is that for the same price, you could start looking at customs.  The Sebenza is an extremely well made knife, but it's a factory produced blade.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 12:04:35 AM
I have had a couple of them thru out the years but have always ended up selling them as I just didnt think they are anything more than a "gentleman's" folder for light duty and based on the cost, there are more options that to me are better like the PM2, Delica's, Stretch, etc. that I feel would hold up better to harder use.  Don't get me wrong their fit and finish is excellent and I would think about another one if they were priced about half of what they are.  I probably wouldnt get one even at that price but would consider it based on a certain birth date(s).

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 01:37:22 AM
Question is Noodle life or death situation you can only have one or the other. Which do you choose?

I would much rather have the PM2.  Its about the perfect combo of being small enough for EDC, but large enough to alter someone's behavior if you absolutely had no other choice.  If flicks open like a dream, and provides enough real estate for a good grip.  You know this stuff.  The small Sebenza has what I call the bling factor (titanium, close tolerances, etc.), and is smaller in the pocket.

No one can legitimately argue with you when you say you like this one better or that one better.  There are plenty of guys on Bladeforums who are so in love with their Sebenzas that they sell all of their other knives and never look back.  I think its cool when  someone is totally, completely sold out on a knife or MT or light, and I sort of admire that.  I'm just not sold out on CRK because of the price, and because - for me - they take more effort to open than a Spydie or Benchmade.  Just my take.  Rock on.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 01:45:39 AM
Oh and another issue with with sebenza is the s35vn is treated on the soft side. I sold my friend my spyderco gayle bradley and he said there is no comparison as far as edge holding goes.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 02:06:44 AM
Oh and another issue with with sebenza is the s35vn is treated on the soft side. I sold my friend my spyderco gayle bradley and he said there is no comparison as far as edge holding goes.

I have heard this too!  Even when they used s30v, I heard the same thing!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 03:02:46 PM
Some pics of my small Insingo 21.
IMG_1.jpg
* IMG_1.jpg (Filesize: 112.72 KB)
IMG_2.jpg
* IMG_2.jpg (Filesize: 165.21 KB)
IMG_3.jpg
* IMG_3.jpg (Filesize: 168.78 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 01:23:23 PM
I really like that blade pattern.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 03:01:21 PM
I really like that blade pattern.

Nate

I definitely prefer it over the drop point.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%