Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

RS maintenance

Offline swisstool11

RS maintenance
on: January 02, 2007, 03:01:26 AM
Well.....as I await the arrival of my new RS I was wondering about maintenance in terms of lubrication.  I've read of a number of different items I could use to do this. 

Any recommendations based on experience?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: RS maintenance
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:11:28 AM
I usually don't bother lubricating any of my tools.  A lube really just allows little particles of dust, lint, sand etc to collect in the hinges and other crannies and cause more of a mess than they help.

Of course, if you do want or need to lubricate a tool I suggest plain old mineral oil from the local pharmacy.  It's cheaper than dirt and it's food safe so you can use the tool to prepare lunch or cut your steak if you need to.  If you want to get fancy, you can try a product called INOX, which is mineral oil with a penetrating compound.  It's decent stuff, but costs more and I don't really know how much more of a bonus you are getting with the penetrant.

I wrote an article a few months ago on SOSAKOnline that detailed care and maintenance of a SAK.  The theory is pretty well the same for multitools.

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=127&Itemid=35

Good luck and make sure to let us know what you think of the RS when you get it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: RS maintenance
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:41:48 AM
I only use a small drop of oil on mine .But i do live near a beach and sand can be a problem .I found WD40 is useless on anything Victorinox  ??? but works ok on Leathermans . Dont be afraid to wash it in warm soapy water , rinse in clean water then dry ( I use a hairdryer ) . If you have access to an air compresser then just blow any dirt and fluff out every so often .

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD