Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Field Engineer - 111mm mod by Steve

jrp316 · 21 · 3558

Offline jrp316

The Field Engineer - 111mm mod by Steve
on: October 23, 2014, 11:25:54 PM
I recently commissioned a 111mm mod from tattoosteve99 which I've dubbed the 'Field Engineer'. It arrived today and I couldn't be happier with the finished product.

It has the same tool loadout as the Super Soldier (also made by Steve), as seen here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39281.0.html

The biggest change is that the pliers live in between the blade and openers instead of behind the blade. I like it better that way; the layout was made possible by using a OH Sentinel with the single liner lock instead of the double liner lock used in the OH Trekker and Soldier. Pliers were taken from a Hercules, plain edge blade from the Sentinel. Wrapped up in dual density scales, the mod turned out every bit as excellent as I'd hoped. Thanks again Steve!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: The Field Engineer - 111mm mod by Steve
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:28:36 PM
Neat! Thats the best spot to add a tool like pliers or scissors for sure.   :tu:  I guess the only compromise is to lose the locking cap lifter, but I think thats ok to have the pliers in the right spot.  I have a half finished 111mm mod that I really gotta finish one day.  Similar to what you have there but with scissors instead.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:30:05 PM
That is awesome, I want one and I mean it.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:37:41 PM
Oh that's lovely.  :drool:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:17:13 AM
That is a pretty fine looking mod!! (and I don't mean you Tom :rofl: ) :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:34:18 AM

:rofl:

Very nice knife.  :tu:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 02:38:55 PM
Thanks.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 02:44:00 PM
I guess the only compromise is to lose the locking cap lifter, but I think thats ok to have the pliers in the right spot.

Hmm I think one Idea would have been to swap the knife with the pliers. Having this, your could have had a locking knife AND bottle-opener.  :think:

Edit:
Sorry, just saw it was intended that way. Alright then. ;-)
The Sentinen Liner Lock I used for my double locking hunter, too. here
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:45:43 PM by HankSolon »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:44:50 PM
I guess the only compromise is to lose the locking cap lifter, but I think thats ok to have the pliers in the right spot.

Hmm I think one Idea would have been to swap the knife with the pliers. Having this, your could have had a locking knife AND bottle-opener.  :think:

Edit:

The way I started doing it was having 2 locking liners, one for the blade and one for the cap lifter.  BUT, then you need 2 liner locks liners and it does add to the weight so Im not sure if its better or not.  The only way to have it all would be to custom cut Ti locking liners for each tool, but thats alot of work and cost.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Offline jrp316

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 04:20:51 PM

Edit:

The Super Soldier knife was built the way you describe, Hank. It has the dual liner lock and the pliers behind the blade. It's not a bad way to do it, but it does obstruct the nail nick on the pliers. One would likely have to cut another nail nick on the opposing side or use a creative method to get the pliers out.

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 05:04:53 PM
The Super Soldier knife was built the way you describe, Hank. It has the dual liner lock and the pliers behind the blade. It's not a bad way to do it, but it does obstruct the nail nick on the pliers. One would likely have to cut another nail nick on the opposing side or use a creative method to get the pliers out.

Oh I haven't noticed that. Thank you.  :-\

So even a config like
(scale)
pliers - phillips
(liner)
saw
Knife
(double lock liner)
bottle opener - can opener
(scale)

won't help you here, since the nail nick of the pliers is still on the wrong side. And pliers on the outside might be a bad option, too.

But, looking at your config above. Ther is a single liner lock for the opposite side on the newer hunter models (for the OHO rescue blade). This could have been an option for the bottle-opener, with some tweaks, maybe. ;-)

The way I started doing it was having 2 locking liners, one for the blade and one for the cap lifter.  BUT, then you need 2 liner locks liners and it does add to the weight so Im not sure if its better or not.  The only way to have it all would be to custom cut Ti locking liners for each tool, but thats alot of work and cost.

What do you want to lock (aside from blade and bottleopener)?

I don't feel an issue with the weight. Actually it's something in your hand (that's what she said), but it's not that heavy afterall. Considering costs and time (one the one hand) and the benefit of less weight (on the other hand) I would skip the Ti option.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:10:54 PM by HankSolon »

de Offline crackout

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 09:55:18 AM
The problem with having tools in front of the blade is the OH action. On my OHutrider I can barely use the OH with the right hand. Doesn't affect me though since I'm a leftie. :D

Say my name.

Offline jrp316

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 03:58:26 PM
I had the same thought shortly after I commissioned the mod; I looked at your OHutrider for a reference and hoped for the best. I'm right handed, it turned out not to be a problem for me. The spine of the pliers slightly obstructs the opening hole, but not enough that I can't open it easily.

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 11:10:07 AM
Nice, at last, a brother for my Super soldier!  :angel:
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

us Offline tcodding

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 07:13:42 PM
That's awesome, does anybody know if pliers from a 111mm sak will fit in a 91mm?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 12:38:44 AM
That's awesome, does anybody know if pliers from a 111mm sak will fit in a 91mm?

The pliers themselves are identical except for the nail nick on the 111mm version.  Or would you hoping to fit the phillips driver from the layer as well?  That I dont think would work.

us Offline tcodding

Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 04:30:16 AM

The pliers themselves are identical except for the nail nick on the 111mm version.  Or would you hoping to fit the phillips driver from the layer as well?  That I dont think would work.
I was just wondering if they were the same, don't need the Phillips driver

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 09:06:01 AM

Don´t laugh. He didn´t mean you either...  :D

About the knife - It´s a nice looking mod and am sure it´s executed to Vic standards - Nice work, Steve!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 12:14:07 PM

Don´t laugh. He didn´t mean you either...  :D

About the knife - It´s a nice looking mod and am sure it´s executed to Vic standards - Nice work, Steve!

Too late, I already laughed.  :P

Offline jrp316

Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 02:09:38 PM
Like Syph said, the pliers on the 91mm and 111mm are identical, save for the nail nick. The backspring is different, however, due to the presence of the short Phillips head on the 111mm.

us Offline tcodding

Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 04:29:42 AM
Gotcha

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85