Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Im so glad I live in the countryside

Grathr · 12 · 1376

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Im so glad I live in the countryside
on: October 25, 2014, 06:16:27 AM
Im so glad I live in the countryside and not in a city.
My son is 3,5 years old and goes to the kindergarden were part of the years program is to learn to whittle with a knife in the woods. (Only one kid at the time is allowed to use a knife under close suprevision of an adult away from the other kids)

Had we lived in a city, they would probably not have been alowed to do this by the parents.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Im so glad I live in the countryside
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:23:23 AM
You and me both. That pretty cool that they are teaching the kids to do that.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 06:41:08 AM
Our local kindy will let the kids out in all weather conditions.
Our local primary school encourages activities like tree climbing.
IMO this is really good for them.
And we can have more pets here as well.
We're only a half hours drive out of the city but things are just better here.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 06:49:40 AM
My son is 3,5 years old and goes to the kindergarden were part of the years program is to learn to whittle with a knife in the woods. (Only one kid at the time is allowed to use a knife under close suprevision of an adult away from the other kids)

Had we lived in a city, they would probably not have been alowed to do this by the parents.

That's a really nice thing to have the option to do that!  Frankly, I am a little tired of all the knife-phobia in an urban setting, where people start acting weird, when all I do is just pull out a spartan to use.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 07:12:27 AM
In the USA everyone is to worried about liabilities and getting sued to ever do that in a school setting anymore. They also view anything sharp as a weapon. Its quite sad really.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:07:48 AM

What a great idea  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:56:50 PM
I would argue that in the US, it depends strongly upon which city you live in, and in which state. I live in a larger city surrounded  by countryside.  Here it is completely common for a man to have a pocket knife clipped to his person.  Locking; longer blade, no problem. While many folks here do not carry knives, and there is the rare occasional friend or acquaintance who may comment that my knife is "a weapon" (I do not in fact own ANY bladed weapons), for the most part one could say, "May I borrow your knife? " and have a strong chance of seeing five people produce at least a SAK.

While the media may seem to disagree, there is a lot of the US that is not New York, Chicago, or California.  And while I like those places, I would never live in any of them. I can think of dozens of better cities in this country with more character and sanity.

My daughter got her first knife at 6, and her first SAK at 7. A Huntsman for the record.  She has been whittling for three years now, and can use a kitchen knife with limited supervision at 9.

Kids and knives have not changed, only parents have. In their quest to protect their kids rather than raise them, they are slowly rendering them helpless.

G

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 07:46:05 PM
I would argue that in the US, it depends strongly upon which city you live in, and in which state. I live in a larger city surrounded  by countryside.  Here it is completely common for a man to have a pocket knife clipped to his person.  Locking; longer blade, no problem. While many folks here do not carry knives, and there is the rare occasional friend or acquaintance who may comment that my knife is "a weapon" (I do not in fact own ANY bladed weapons), for the most part one could say, "May I borrow your knife? " and have a strong chance of seeing five people produce at least a SAK.

While the media may seem to disagree, there is a lot of the US that is not New York, Chicago, or California.  And while I like those places, I would never live in any of them. I can think of dozens of better cities in this country with more character and sanity.

My daughter got her first knife at 6, and her first SAK at 7. A Huntsman for the record.  She has been whittling for three years now, and can use a kitchen knife with limited supervision at 9.

Kids and knives have not changed, only parents have. In their quest to protect their kids rather than raise them, they are slowly rendering them helpless.

I was referring to a school setting not in general.
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 08:46:49 PM

I got that. My reply was in general to the thread.  :salute:
G

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
glad I live in the country
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 03:41:40 PM
Yes, attitudes have changed a lot. Knives have been shown as weapons in Hollywood movies, and public perception has changed from when I was a kid.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:46:26 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 06:00:46 PM

I got that. My reply was in general to the thread.  :salute:

Ah. ok.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:25:28 PM
My son is around the same age and I have been wondering when to start teaching him how to whittle.   My wife and I have already started teaching him how to use one in the kitchen so I guess it's a good time for both. Cool though that his kindergarten is teaching responsible knife use.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44