Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

FINALLY used the hook

Offline ford1911

FINALLY used the hook
on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:38 AM
I have used every tool on my Huntsman plus over the last year or so. Some many many times. I have always thought the hook a waste of space and the only real complaint I have with my SAK.
Well, the day finally came. I used the hook
 My 9 year old's zipper was stuck. I am sure it has happened to you before. Where the pull tab gets wedged down into the extra material at the bottom of the zipper and you can't pull it up. Well the hook worked perfect, like it was made for this taks.
So there you have it. I finally found a use for the one tool that usually leaves me scratching my head as to why Victorinox continues to include it on SAK's.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Re: FINALLY used the hook
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:32:07 AM
Bit heavy as a zipper pull, mate! Vic make a cheaper, lighter option too  :D

Nice use of the tool. Could have used a 91mm hook earlier in the month to carry a plastic bag full of drinks. It would have stopped the bag cutting the blood supply to my fingers.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:24:47 PM
The hook is mandatory ... :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:41:40 PM
I still end up carrying my CT 34 alot and the hook is the only tool never used yet.  If I was in your situation with the zipper I would have used the pliers probably... so I still havent hit the must have hook moment.  It could happen though maybe.  I tend to use the can opener as a hook and pull tool though so its my first thought for that motion.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:37:17 PM
  I work part time at a restaurant and put away truck deliveries early in the morning. One day the delivery driver knocked on the back door to be let in and I asked him if he lost his key. He said he had just dropped the key ring down a steel grate by the curb outside. I could see the key ring about 3 feet below the grate.
   I told him I could get the keys.  I opened the hook on my Super Tinker and made a loop in some paracord and cinched the cord around the Super Tinker and lowered it through the grate. It took about 2 minutes for me to finally get the hook to catch the keyring and pull it up out of the hole.
   The driver really appreciated it because he was dreading telling his supervisor he had dropped the keys down a grate.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:20 PM
Grate story! (boom boom)

Every time I read about other people's EDCs I see miles and miles of paracord & I wonder what the heck they have in mind. Flying a kite? Abseiling? This is the first time I've ever read about someone doing something useful with paracord. Combined with the hook, that's two firsts... (surely there's a badge for that!)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 04:32:19 PM
  I work part time at a restaurant and put away truck deliveries early in the morning. One day the delivery driver knocked on the back door to be let in and I asked him if he lost his key. He said he had just dropped the key ring down a steel grate by the curb outside. I could see the key ring about 3 feet below the grate.
   I told him I could get the keys.  I opened the hook on my Super Tinker and made a loop in some paracord and cinched the cord around the Super Tinker and lowered it through the grate. It took about 2 minutes for me to finally get the hook to catch the keyring and pull it up out of the hole.
   The driver really appreciated it because he was dreading telling his supervisor he had dropped the keys down a grate.

Well done!

I expect that fellow won't forget the way you rescued his keys anytime soon.  He might even purchase his own SAK!

Sometimes I wonder why so many complain about the presence of the hook on their SAK.  I think the key ingredient for getting the most out of a SAK is imagination.  Here is a video that show some imaginative uses of the multi-purpose hook:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 05:01:06 PM
Haha, without even playing the movie this ^^ picture is convincing enough for me.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 05:32:43 PM
my uses for it

(bag carried 20lbs of crap)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:36:03 PM
Way to go everybody!!
Barry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:44:16 PM
my uses for it

(Image removed from quote.)
(bag carried 20lbs of crap)

(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty much my main use for it, too.

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 01:33:36 AM

Well done!

I expect that fellow won't forget the way you rescued his keys anytime soon.  He might even purchase his own SAK!

Sometimes I wonder why so many complain about the presence of the hook on their SAK.  I think the key ingredient for getting the most out of a SAK is imagination.  Here is a video that show some imaginative uses of the multi-purpose hook:

Great video on uses for the hook!

us Offline docfossil

Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 02:54:37 PM
Here's a photo that fulfills two requests:

1) Photo outside, got 4-6 inches of snow last night.

2) Use of the hook. Used it to hang the knife from the bush. Basically, the hook allowed the knife to position itself for the photoshoot!

For those who are interested it is a Vic Ranger.
Knife and Snow.jpg
* Knife and Snow.jpg (Filesize: 74.34 KB)
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 02:57:40 PM
 :tu: :tu:
Barry

bg Offline kingsix87

Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 03:41:24 PM
Last time I used the hook on a Climber was when I was laying on my back and needed to adjust the screen on my laptop. It was just out of reach. Being as lazy as I was at the moment, the hook was deployed. Just enough reach to grab the laptop screen and pull it slightly towards me to fix the nasty TN panel contrast shift.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 03:46:08 PM
I have used every tool on my Huntsman plus over the last year or so. Some many many times. I have always thought the hook a waste of space and the only real complaint I have with my SAK.
Well, the day finally came. I used the hook
 My 9 year old's zipper was stuck. I am sure it has happened to you before. Where the pull tab gets wedged down into the extra material at the bottom of the zipper and you can't pull it up. Well the hook worked perfect, like it was made for this taks.
So there you have it. I finally found a use for the one tool that usually leaves me scratching my head as to why Victorinox continues to include it on SAK's.
Nice one! I'm sure many have already seen this clip from the fantastic 'Moonrise Kingdom' directed by Wes Anderson, but it bears repeating:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:48 PM
I use the one on mine to grab my hot metal lunch box without burning my hands xD
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%