Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox hunter xt?

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Victorinox hunter xt?
on: October 31, 2014, 01:49:50 AM
I purchased one on walmart.com a little bit ago for the steal price of 15$. I wanted to know if anyone had used it to gut or process game and how well it worked?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: Victorinox hunter xt?
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:35:30 PM
Does taking the meat out of a lobster count?? :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:46:48 PM
Looks good to me.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:01:30 PM
Of course counts and yet is very edible :D
 :2tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 10:44:38 PM
I remember someone saying that someone they knew cut up a road kill deer with a Vic classic, so Im thinking the hunter xt has got to be good to go compared to that.   I havent hunted in years, and I didnt even carry a SAK back then.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline collim1

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 05:34:42 AM
I had one for a while and sold it to a friend.  I bought it thinking I could carry one knife instead of a slip joint Victorinox for utility and a fixed blade for skinning.  I found it a giant pain in the butt to clean up after using it for field dressing.

It gets covered in blood and guts, then you got to haul the deer out, head to the processor, and then when you finally get home its late and you are tired, hungry, and cold and getting out a toothbrush and scrubbing the guts out of your knife is the last thing you wanna do.  Then the guts sit on it overnight and now you have to soak it in warm soapy water just to get the stuff loose enough to scrub out when you finally get around to it. 

No thanks.  I went back to using a Mora Companion for field dressing.  Much easier to clean.  I rely on a Farmer or Occasionally a Leatherman PST or Wave for my utility needs. 

Don't get me wrong, it did the job just fine, I have field dressed deer in a pinch with a Tinker and a Case Trapper in the past.  I think most people over think a field dressing knife.  I prefer a thin, slightly flexible fixed blade that is easy to resharpen in between uses.  Most importantly of all easy to rinse off while the gunk is still fresh on there. 

Just my two cents on the matter.  I am actually still considering a one hand Trekker for a larger utility knife, but it won't be used for field dressing game. 

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 07:31:21 AM
I had one for a while and sold it to a friend.  I bought it thinking I could carry one knife instead of a slip joint Victorinox for utility and a fixed blade for skinning.  I found it a giant pain in the butt to clean up after using it for field dressing.

It gets covered in blood and guts, then you got to haul the deer out, head to the processor, and then when you finally get home its late and you are tired, hungry, and cold and getting out a toothbrush and scrubbing the guts out of your knife is the last thing you wanna do.  Then the guts sit on it overnight and now you have to soak it in warm soapy water just to get the stuff loose enough to scrub out when you finally get around to it. 

No thanks.  I went back to using a Mora Companion for field dressing.  Much easier to clean.  I rely on a Farmer or Occasionally a Leatherman PST or Wave for my utility needs. 

Don't get me wrong, it did the job just fine, I have field dressed deer in a pinch with a Tinker and a Case Trapper in the past.  I think most people over think a field dressing knife.  I prefer a thin, slightly flexible fixed blade that is easy to resharpen in between uses.  Most importantly of all easy to rinse off while the gunk is still fresh on there. 

Just my two cents on the matter.  I am actually still considering a one hand Trekker for a larger utility knife, but it won't be used for field dressing game.

I'm with you on this one mate.  :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:00:09 PM
I don't hunt, but I don't really like using folding knives for food prep either. I might cut the odd apple, but not much more. I certainly wouldn't entertain using a folder for processing fish or game unless I had no other alternative. My "outdoors" food prep is often done with a Cold Steel Roach Belly

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 02:03:30 PM
+2.
Nothing like a good fixed blade for hunting.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:40:58 PM
+3  Def a fixed blade for processing game.

This will get the nod next time I'm out! :2tu:

The R Murphy version of the Canadian Belt Knife
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 02:49:15 PM
Sweet blade!

I will say while I like fixed blades for game and heavy chores, that sak would be sweet for camping. And can be use to process game if you don't have a fixed blade.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 02:57:21 PM
Sweet blade!

I will say while I like fixed blades for game and heavy chores, that sak would be sweet for camping. And can be use to process game if you don't have a fixed blade.

Nate

Thanks Nate and you are right, might be a perfect combo for camping where a furry critter might show up for dinner.....

I might have to look at one in green.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline leathermon

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:25 PM
I appreciate the replies, I would have to agree with fixed blade sediment. The exception being the buck 110 folder. I have processed my fair share of deer and is still one of the sharpest knives I own

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 02:35:35 AM
I'd clean game with an all metal multi long before I used a SAK, just becuase they are easier to blast clean. But I carry a fixed blade of some kind pretty much every day for larger game, and for small game, hard to beat an X-acto knife.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 01:19:53 AM
I vaguely remember, from a Peter Hathaway Capstick book, a small story of him skinning an animal with the Champ SAK :think:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 09:59:22 AM
When I worked on the farm at lambing time,if a lamb died that had been turned out with its mother ,I would fetch them back to a pen and skin the dead lamb and put its coat on a spare lamb and usually the ewe would  believe it was her own lamb.
I know that's not processing game but I've done that many times with great success with a sak
Weasel

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 09:26:00 PM
When I worked on the farm at lambing time,if a lamb died that had been turned out with its mother ,I would fetch them back to a pen and skin the dead lamb and put its coat on a spare lamb and usually the ewe would  believe it was her own lamb.
I know that's not processing game but I've done that many times with great success with a sak
I'll bet you had to do your Mike Rowe imitation on that job :whistle:

us Offline leathermon

Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 02:05:59 PM
it worked really well for this big boy and cleaned up pretty easy, very pleased.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 03:32:56 PM
Silence of the lamb

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 04:25:47 PM
Silence of the lamb

:rofl:

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 11:55:23 PM
Nice Whitetail leathermon, good shot placement

Here is my Vic Hunter XT.  I carried it today paired with my  Vic minichamp II.

As it is a Christmas gift from my better half it has yet only been used to slice veggies, sharp cheddar and open a few packages.
vichunterxt.jpg
* vichunterxt.jpg (Filesize: 168.56 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69