Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

111mm SAK's

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 111mm SAK's
Reply #60 on: October 05, 2015, 08:44:56 PM
I've thought about getting a OH Trekker/Soldier and using that as my main MT and pairing it up with a pair of slip joint pliers and a pair of electrician scissors for plier and cutting duties. Any thoughts?

Great idea! I have a 50 year old pair of lineman's pliers (given to me by my grandfather) that still cut better than either of my Leathermans.  And, a Soldier '08 is now my heavy duty farm SAK.

But, is there any case that can carry both simultaneously?  I know there's the old CS-34 case from WWII that was meant for the Signal Corps that could hold a Camillus TL-29 and a pair of Utica TL-13 lineman's pliers, and there's a few meant for both pliers and a wrench made in modern day.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 06, 2015, 04:43:55 PM
I've seen custom cases that could house pliers and an SAK. I think a pair of lineman's pliers could be a good all around set to carry.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #62 on: October 21, 2015, 01:28:18 AM
Just starting out!
- Picknicker (what a name!)
- Sentinel Clip (simply coz of the clip)
- Forester (my favorite so far)

It's quite tough given the limited 111mm choices we have here.  My Sentinel clip was a 3/4 serrated edge which I eventually trimmed down to a plain edge so it'll be easier to maintain.  I'd rather have a OHO Sentinel but only the regular blade was available.  For the Picknicker...well, I wanted to try something without the wood saw.

So far my favorite is the Forester.  Somehow its dimensions fit my pocket better than the thinner Picknicker.  I'm still alternating since the Picknicker is still less than a day old as of this posting.

How I wish local stores had a Outrider - I'm really after the large locking blade + scissors combo.  Unfortunately only the Hercules (and the Workchamp) has that combo.

I also went for the corkscrew configuration because I use it as a holder for the eyeglass screwdriver.  I figured that every tool out there is bound to have something between #0,,#1,#2 screwdriver but not all have something small for eyeglasses.
IMG_1472.JPG
* IMG_1472.JPG (Filesize: 236.31 KB)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:30:48 AM by Zephon »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #63 on: October 21, 2015, 01:49:01 AM
I too like the Outrider as it is pretty simple tool setup that I can see taking outdoors for some basic needs.  I also have a Fireman, Hercules and now Workchamp. 

I do with that serrated blade on the Fireman and think it would be a great tool to have on hikes/camping trips and even though it is curved was available on other 111mm saks like the Outrider!

I also wish that the 111mm scales had the straight pin hole!  :)

Vic_Outrider1.jpg
* Vic_Outrider1.jpg (Filesize: 313.83 KB)
open.JPG
* open.JPG (Filesize: 59.77 KB)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:50:14 AM by sir_mike »

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #64 on: October 21, 2015, 02:46:39 AM
I too like the Outrider as it is pretty simple tool setup that I can see taking outdoors for some basic needs.  I also have a Fireman, Hercules and now Workchamp. 

I do with that serrated blade on the Fireman and think it would be a great tool to have on hikes/camping trips and even though it is curved was available on other 111mm saks like the Outrider!

You can add one with a similar diameter sewing pin and a lighter. I did it to my workchamp. You heat the pin and press it into the scales where the hole normally would go. Might take several repetitions to get the depth right but in the end, I have a pin slot on the tool. :tu:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #65 on: October 21, 2015, 04:11:06 AM

You can add one with a similar diameter sewing pin and a lighter. I did it to my workchamp. You heat the pin and press it into the scales where the hole normally would go. Might take several repetitions to get the depth right but in the end, I have a pin slot on the tool. :tu:

Thanks for the tip!  I might have to give it a go!   :salute:

au Offline Scoon

Reply #66 on: October 21, 2015, 04:48:34 AM
TheDude's mention of the parachutist led me to some further googling which uncovered the jumpmaster...
:o

I have been looking for a SAK / MT with this exact set of tools on it for ages. And now I find it, and it turns out that it's discontinued...  :( >:( :poh:

http://www.amazon.com/SWISS-Jumpmaster-Black-Model-53846/dp/B0007QCOZ6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:51:23 AM by Scoon »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #67 on: October 21, 2015, 04:57:35 AM
TheDude's mention of the parachutist led me to some further googling which uncovered the jumpmaster...

I have been looking for a SAK / MT with this exact set of tools on it for ages. And now I find it, and it turns out that it's discontinued...  :( >:( :poh:

http://www.amazon.com/SWISS-Jumpmaster-Black-Model-53846/dp/B0007QCOZ6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

It looks just like the Fireman except philips driver instead of the cork screw.  You could get a Fireman and mod/change out the cork screw to a philips!  :)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #68 on: October 21, 2015, 12:42:00 PM

It looks just like the Fireman except philips driver instead of the cork screw.  You could get a Fireman and mod/change out the cork screw to a philips!  :)

Plus you can get the Fireman in OHO. :tu:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #69 on: October 21, 2015, 01:56:08 PM
Is there a noticeable difference in weight between a liner lock 111mm versus a side lock 111mm? Is a Forester heavier than a Rucksack?

au Offline Scoon

Reply #70 on: October 21, 2015, 04:02:36 PM

That's pretty awesome actually but I'd have to get someone to mod the corkscrew to a phillips

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #71 on: October 21, 2015, 05:53:25 PM

That's pretty awesome actually but I'd have to get someone to mod the corkscrew to a phillips

That shouldn't be that hard to find someone here to do that!  You would just have to ask around and find the philips tool.  :)

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #72 on: October 22, 2015, 11:49:58 AM
There was a jumpmaster on ebay a while back but it was a bit pricey. I must have been going through one of those crazy phases where I thought I should get a life. :ahhh
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #73 on: October 22, 2015, 11:56:06 AM

Just for statistical reasons, how many corkscrews do you own?  :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #74 on: October 22, 2015, 12:16:42 PM
Amusing how small Swisstools implements suddenly look like after you've handled a handful of 111mm knives....

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #75 on: October 22, 2015, 11:05:01 PM

111 Centurian; bought it because I wanted to tryout a liner lock. I like it but don't EDC it.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #76 on: October 23, 2015, 02:03:33 AM
I got another 111mm to show, the Workchamp!  :)

Workchamp.jpg
* Workchamp.jpg (Filesize: 281.3 KB)

au Offline Scoon

Reply #77 on: October 23, 2015, 04:01:49 AM

On SAKs? 0, and I intend to keep it that way  :D

My brother used to have a SAK with a corkscrew and I couldn't stand it. He lent it to me for a short while and I never once used the corkscrew, plus the pointy tip kept catching on loose threads in my pocket.

I don't drink now, and a vast number of wines have converted to twist-off caps. Also, my brother lent his to someone who pulled at a bad angle and bent the corckscrew out, so he had to send it for repairs. AND (lol) I know a 'crazy russian' style way of uncorking a bottle with a small knife.

So yeah, not really keen to have a corckscrew on a SAK lol.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:04:39 AM by Scoon »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #78 on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:24 PM

My brother used to have a SAK with a corkscrew and I couldn't stand it. He lent it to me for a short while and I never once used the corkscrew, plus the pointy tip kept catching on loose threads in my pocket.

I don't drink now, and a vast number of wines have converted to twist-off caps. Also, my brother lent his to someone who pulled at a bad angle and bent the corckscrew out, so he had to send it for repairs. AND (lol) I know a 'crazy russian' style way of uncorking a bottle with a small knife.

Yes but are there any corkscrews in your household? ::)  :P
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:30:25 PM by firiki »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #79 on: October 23, 2015, 01:32:09 PM

First, congrats :tu: the WorkChamp is a nice beast.

Then, would you do me a favour, please? Check if there's any lateral play in the tools, say can opener?

au Offline Scoon

Reply #80 on: October 23, 2015, 02:50:13 PM

Yes but are there any corkscrews in your household? ::)  :P

There's just the one, which I occasionally pull out of the drawer just so I can look at it with contempt. 

gr Offline firiki

Reply #81 on: October 23, 2015, 02:52:52 PM
There's just the one, which I occasionally pull out of the drawer just so I can look at it with contempt.

What did the poor thing do to you to deserve such treatment?!  :cry:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #82 on: October 23, 2015, 05:39:01 PM

Then, would you do me a favour, please? Check if there's any lateral play in the tools, say can opener?

Thx and I just checked but didnt notice any lateral play with the can opener.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #83 on: October 24, 2015, 02:12:34 AM

Thank you. Off to Ibach mine goes, then  :salute:
Thx and I just checked but didnt notice any lateral play with the can opener.

us Offline Edward Scissorhands

• SAKo-masochist
Reply #84 on: October 25, 2015, 08:31:15 PM
Picture if you will a man, a fan of the humble 91mm SAK and in particular the not-so-humble SwissChamp, which he carries and whips out at the slightest pretext. "Oh, you need a box opened? A screwdriver? A magnifying glass? No thanks, I brought my own pen!" Now consider his wife, wanting to surprise him for his birthday and, running amok with the bank account goes online and buys the biggest smurfing thing that site had to offer.

The WorkChamp XL is widely considered a collector's-only item, as both the equestrian hoof cleaner and our finances that month would attest.  :facepalm:
mto-workchamp.jpg
* mto-workchamp.jpg (Filesize: 192.28 KB)
EDC: SwissChamp, Swisstool X, Zippo, Mini Maglite, all on my belt. I'm one more sheath away from becoming Batman.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #85 on: October 28, 2015, 08:50:56 AM
Latest 111mm SAK.  I'd rather have gotten an Outrider but since it isn't available locally, the next option was a Hercules.  It has a good price ratio compared to other stuff out there.
IMG_1475.JPG
* IMG_1475.JPG (Filesize: 217.11 KB)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: October 28, 2015, 11:52:00 AM
Picture if you will a man, a fan of the humble 91mm SAK and in particular the not-so-humble SwissChamp, which he carries and whips out at the slightest pretext. "Oh, you need a box opened? A screwdriver? A magnifying glass? No thanks, I brought my own pen!" Now consider his wife, wanting to surprise him for his birthday and, running amok with the bank account goes online and buys the biggest smurfing thing that site had to offer.

The WorkChamp XL is widely considered a collector's-only item, as both the equestrian hoof cleaner and our finances that month would attest.  :facepalm:

:rofl: You got a keeper there! Both the knife and the woman. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD