Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Double magazine pouch for Surge?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Double magazine pouch for Surge?
on: November 01, 2014, 08:38:50 PM
OK so the leather pouch that came with my Surge is fine, but not enough room for goodies as well. Instead of getting a sheath where you store bit cards etc behind the tool, I'm thinking of getting a double magazine pouch: Surge in one pouch, bit cards, bit extender, saw blades etc in the other.

Does anyone have anything like this and can comment on how this would work size-wise?
m0-mKJjynPUwpTdCQAax5Zw.jpg
* m0-mKJjynPUwpTdCQAax5Zw.jpg (Filesize: 5.77 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Double magazine pouch for Surge?
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:27:36 PM
OK so the leather pouch that came with my Surge is fine, but not enough room for goodies as well. Instead of getting a sheath where you store bit cards etc behind the tool, I'm thinking of getting a double magazine pouch: Surge in one pouch, bit cards, bit extender, saw blades etc in the other.

Does anyone have anything like this and can comment on how this would work size-wise?
I was once thinking of doing the same, but didn't. Here's the link I posted maybe there is some info for you? JR
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,49085.msg816899.html#msg816899
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 09:47:15 PM
The Victorinox big SOS kit case is similar, on a smaller scale of course. I found it more difficult to handle compared to the small SOS kit where you put some items in front of the tool. But you migjt like it.
I don't know the cost of these magazine pouches but Skinths are more classy and literally tailor made for multitools. Consider trying one, unless the magazine pouch is much cheaper.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:22 PM
The nylon sheath has heaps or room.
I ended up putting extras into an old leather Charge? sheath.
Can work with whichever MT gets carried that day.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:41:19 PM

I would give an LM Molle-XL sheath a try first, before venturing into double-anything.

This sheath is made of proper Cordura 1000D webbing, is large and built like a tank.

Have a look what I managed to squeeze into mine, and still have some little room to spare, probably for Ti tweezers or something else.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54700.0.html

Hope this helps.
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 11:10:39 PM
If you're considering the LM molle sheaths let me know, I've got a couple here somewhere. I do not like them at all.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 11:32:30 PM
I would give an LM Molle-XL sheath a try first, before venturing into double-anything.
That's what I was initially thinking of getting. As long as it could fit everything.
If you're considering the LM molle sheaths let me know, I've got a couple here somewhere. I do not like them at all.
Interested... the XL?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 11:40:10 PM
That's what I was initially thinking of getting. As long as it could fit everything.
Interested... the XL?

Yeah, in brown. The other one is the older smaller version with larger drain hole in black.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 12:01:33 AM
Get that XL sheath from Zoidberg, if you don't like the color dye it black with RIT dye, still cheaper than buying new just to get the feel about it.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 12:55:30 AM
Get that XL sheath from Zoidberg, if you don't like the color dye it black with RIT dye, still cheaper than buying new just to get the feel about it.
I love how I don't have to think too much these days; I just jump on here and receive instructions!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 02:09:07 AM
I love how I don't have to think too much these days; I just jump on here and receive instructions!

I'd take what some of us tell you on this forum with a pinch of salt ;)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 02:21:59 AM

I'd take what some of us tell you on this forum with a pinch of salt ;)

Hey!!  :pok:  No wait, you're probably right.  :P

Offline coryveelefevre

• New User
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 11:31:17 PM
I use a single msg pouch for my st300 and my surge fits in it just fine

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 03:53:35 AM
UPDATE:

The smaller LM Molle Sheath just fits the Surge, but no room for anything else.
The LM XL Molle Sheath fits the Surge well and has more room for other stuff but no place for things like the bit extender.
I want the tool to have it's own compartment and preferably for accessories to also be in separate compartments as much as possible. The plain nylon sheath is better in this respect...
The problem with the double mag pouch idea is it's a gamble whether things will fit nicely or not. Also, even if the Surge fit nicely in one pouch, the bit cards, extender, torch, etc would all be rattling around in the other pouch.

Currently eyeing up the Skinth Mondo...

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 04:07:36 AM

The LM XL Molle Sheath fits the Surge well and has more room for other stuff but no place for things like the bit extender...

Really? You're doing something wrong mate.  :pok:

...and still room to spare  ;)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 04:43:45 AM
Where's the bit extender then?  :pok:

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:59 AM
Where's the bit extender then?  :pok:

LOL! You're funny guy...
Did I really have to show it for you to believe me?
There at least three places it fits safely and securely in the XL Molle sheath. As a matter of fact when I carry Surge in LM xl molle the hex bit extender goes at the back where MUT scope wrench normally goes, or on the side of the sheath attached by space pen clip. And these are juat two places I use it in.

If you're based in Auckland we can catch up one of these days over a beer and I'll demonstrate it to you, first hand.

Cheers.  8)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:25 AM
Cheers - I'm in Christchurch.
the hex bit extender goes at the back where MUT scope wrench normally goes, or on the side of the sheath attached by space pen clip.
Well that would help. As for the MUT wrench pocket.... I feel uncomfortable trying to fit things into holes they weren't designed for.  :angel:

I can only comfortably fit one bit card in with the Surge - I want to put both in and still have room for jigsaw blades and a pry thingy. I don't know how you do it. Also I want them separate, not with the MT.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:45:22 AM by Syncop8r »

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 02:03:49 AM
Mine are all separate. Nothing touches anything.

My personal view on Skinths is they're great for when you need to be able to fit a full EDC pack into something but for small loads like yours and mine above... LM XL molle sheath is a God send.

I have Skinth XL for my 12-piece EDC load...for my other two smaller packs a coyote brown and a black LM XL molle sheaths fit perfectly.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 11:46:53 AM
I finally got one - a "Rothco" Double Pistol Mag Pouch, MOLLE Compatible. Made in China  :D:

Just fits Surge -would be ideal for Wave size. Three bit cards in the other pouch. Elastic loops I can use to hold torch, pen etc. I thought it had a separate pouch where the saw blades are but it's just a webbing loop.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 02:49:49 PM
Cool! How does it do when wearing and using it. This has been something that has been crossing my mind. I am thinking one pouch for the multi and the other for my torch.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 03:05:37 PM
Cool! How does it do when wearing and using it. This has been something that has been crossing my mind. I am thinking one pouch for the multi and the other for my torch.

That's us mobile

I'd also be curious to know how it rides on the belt.

I rigged a pair of LM Molle sheaths (smaller ones, not the XL) together with shock cord so that they would conform to my waist. My favorite part of that setup was that the sheaths felt lighter because they didn't stick out as far from the belt as each contained only 1/2 the contents of what I would normally cram into one larger pouch.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 09:10:35 PM
I haven't worn it yet but it does feel heavy in the hand - weight of Surge plus more stuff!
But now everything is together.  :dd:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:13:44 PM by Syncop8r »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 11:17:42 AM
Cool! Let us know how you get along with it.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 11:34:20 AM
Just a couple of comparison pics with a Leatherman Molle sheath.. which would be even fatter if Surge plus bit cards were in it:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 01:58:45 PM
I think it turned out pretty good! :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 12:36:11 PM
Good looking set up. How has it been working out for you?

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 07:47:10 AM
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD