Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great Keychain One Piece Tool Roundup.

Chako · 102 · 20279

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: The Great Keychain One Piece Tool Roundup.
Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28:01 PM
As I understand it, the design dates to at least the 60s.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 10:37:51 PM
I used a pair of folding scissors like that in the 80's, in China.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 12:33:40 PM
EDC Gear Brewzer Clone.

Leatherman bought out Pocket Tool X a while back, and started marketing that companies Brewzer under the Leatherman name. When I saw this, I figured I had to bring it into the fold and compare it to the better made tool. It does not favour well with the original.

Now there are a few things I want to focus on with this EDC rip off attempt. For instance, note how thin the steel is around the Oxygen wrench. But even more glaring is the miss at the flat screwdriver section. The original Brewzer does have that little dip on the south end towards the tip which makes it a great little box opener...however, EDC Gear extended that dip to the front face, rendering this tool useless towards flat-head screws. :facepalm:

For the money, stick with the original.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:56 PM
EDC Gear Tweezers.

I know, I am sounding like a broken record here, but when I came across these on the cheap, I knew I had to have one for this roundup. I also knew these were a knock off of Uncle Bill's sliver gripper. Uncle Bill was a machinist who designed this neat tweezers for removing splinters, which I can only assume, he got a lot of. What makes this design very nice is the included little carry piece that not only protects the tip, but also allows you to carry them on a keychain, ready for instant use. Of course, the originals are made in Hartford, meaning they are USA made.

Now this clone from EDC Gear is made in China. Now not all things in China are junk, and this little pair is a good example of that. The design works very well, and I really like this copy. I can only imagine how much better the original may be, but I do know that if tweezers aren't made right, they simply don't work. I am happy to state that this one does. There is always a catch however, and it is this. The originals don't sell for much more than this copy. So if you are looking for something this down right useful you might want to spend your money on the original...even though this one is perfectly functional and 2 dollars less.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 12:56:54 PM
EDC Gear Pocket Wrench 2 Clone.

Now this one had me  :think: for a second, as this tool is actually of a good thickness. and that USA Patented was inscribed on this tool. I know EDC Gear are made in China...why would be bother to inscribe Patented USA on a Chinese made tool seeing they aren't even produced by the OEM! Then I realized that they didn't cheap this one like all the others by making the tool thinner. Likewise, they got super lazy and copied the OEM tool markings right down to the USA inscription. I wonder if they somehow paid the OEM the rights to make their own copy and thus the inscription. I do not know. What I do know is it made me  :think: on this topic for probably way too long for what it is worth.

What I do know, this copy is half the price of the original, and the design is a winner. This piece has meat to it, and even though I don't have an original to compare it to, I think it comes close. The Original Pocket Wrench 2 features laser etched markings, the EDC Gear version are stamped. Note how messy the stamping was on my copy photographed above. Nothing serious but it does show.

Should you get this or the OEM. I am tempted to say this is an ok model to get, but for twice the price, you can bet the original is better made, and the steel won't be as much a ? in term of quality. I do like this design however. A real winner in my books.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 01:06:38 PM
EDC Gear Bent Pry Bar.

Here is a direct knock off of the Micro 3" Widgy made by CountyComm for the US military. CountyComm calls this series the EOD Bar Family. Of course, the EDC Gear version isn't the real deal, just another knock off. Now you can buy the original for 11 bucks US. My copy cost a little less than half of that...and that is what EDC Gear does best, steal ideas and undercut the OEM by mass producing their products on the cheap.

With that said, and not being able to compare this to the original, I do like this design. Just long enough to get excellent leverage, but not too long that it won't fit on a keychain. The bent tip gives you great leverage and makes a nice little nail puller. As far as shaped steel goes, I can't knock the EDC Gear version overly much...other than this company doesn't have an original idea to make a dollar from.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 01:13:38 PM
Timberline SwissKey Tool.

Doing a quick research on this tool gave me a little surprise. This tool was designed by SwissBianco.

Here is the video for you.

Anyways, this little tool comes with an injected molded sheath which does a good job of holding the tool, but also allows easy access. I do like this design. And a big plus for not being a knock off piece.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:24:34 PM by Chako »

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 06:09:49 PM
Good info, Chako.  Thanks.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 01:55:59 AM
You are welcome.  :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 02:07:47 AM
Smart Tactical Tool.

Here is something a little different. Different in how one would carry this tool. This one is designed to carry around your neck, and includes a shoe lace for that purpose. The sheath had a snap which holds the tool upside down. Extracting the tool is as simple as unsnapping the button, and letting gravity do the rest. Not sure why the box states Smart Tactical Tool, and the sheath has Tactic Plus on it. Maybe this tool is having an identity crisis. :)

This tool is actually not that bad, and appears to be somewhat of some value in the quality department for something made in China. I guess its tactical because it is black. Tactical or not, it is a good design, and a good tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 02:17:43 AM
Fred Luckey Keychain.

Here is a bottle opener disguised as a key with a twist.

I tried this out on several bottles, and this simple keychain bottle opener works great. Not much to say other than this is a neat little product.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 03:45:02 AM
EDC Gear Key Organizer.

I have looked long and hard at key organizers. Right now all of my keys are hanging off of a large Nite-Ize S carabiner by numerous split O rings. Not an ideal situation. While looking at eBay solutions, I noticed something that might just tame my key problems. Of course this is from EDC Gear, and it was relatively cheap at 6 bucks each...I bought 2.

Then I realized that this is once again a knock off of a US made product under the name of KeySmart.

http://coolpile.com/gear-magazine/keysmart-organize-keys-minimalist-way

EDC Gear has changed the shape somewhat, but the material is touted at being aircraft grade aluminium. I don't doubt it is aluminium...but I do doubt the quality of said material. In my hands, and to my untrained eyes, this appears to be of good fit and finish.

Chako, have you seen this Youtube video describing the Omegakey?  It looks like yet another imitation of the US-made KeySmart:

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 05:29:03 AM
No I haven't. Not surprised however.

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 12:27:13 PM
EDC Gear Skeleton Key.

Now here is a design that was easy to trace back to its origins. Here is EDC Gear's version of the TAD Skeleton key. TAD stands for Triple Aught Design. The original which can be found here...http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Skeleton-Key, is made from titanium, and of course exceeds the quality evident here in the EDC Rip off version. Of course, it is hard to compare a 5 dollar tool to the original which cost 99 dollars.

EDC Gear's version is made of stainless steel which is also not as thick as the original version. I can also tell that the stamping of the skull design isn't as nice either. With that said, I would never pay 99 dollars for the original. In that light, I guess owning a cheap 5 dollar tool isn't all that bad either...even if it makes one feel slightly dirty in supporting what is essentially a rip off design company. The price I pay for researching items for this thread.  :)

I actually own this one and I'm quite pleased with it. I use it almost everyday at work, to open boxes and the occasional prying and scraping. For the price difference you mention, I am really pleased with it - there's no way I'd even consider getting it, if EDCGear hadn't made a copy. On the plus side, this one tool has made me more interested in one piece tools, so they might actually help the industry, by luring people in. ;)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 12:34:08 PM
That is a good point.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 12:39:21 PM
Dorcy 41-1411 Carabineer.

Not quite a one piece tool as the majority, but does warrant a spot here as something very useful. This is a Dorcy Carabineer that features an 11 lumen LED white light, and a bottle opener along with a carabineer to hang it off of a belt loop. What I like about this small keychain are the 6 round holes, 3 running along each side. These are perfect to insert small split O rings to carry keys etc. It wouldn't tame keys, but it is a possibility of carry, and a convenient one.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 12:46:48 PM
Leatherman Shooter.

Part of a pair made by Leatherman for surfing, the Shooter features a removable wax comb (the yellow part), a removable double bit that fits into a cutout on the metal part of the tool, and a bottle opener. There is also a built in carabineer function...but that necessitates removing the wax comb..and then where does one store the wax comb? In a pocket...but then you do risk losing parts of the Shooter.

My opinions on the Shooter are limited as I do not surf. I do find the fiddle factor high as you can pop off the wax comb and play around with the nice long removable double ended bit. using the bit by inserting it into that rectangular hole did work ok. Bonus marks for making the tool look like a surf board.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 01:04:58 PM
Leatherman Thruster.

The larger of the pair with mostly the same functions. This one however has room for a second double ended bit. Leatherman really had fun designing the shapes of these surfing tools. This one is called the Thruster because towards the posterior end, you have this round shaped metal piece that looks like the guard around a propeller. This tool resembles one of those low powered self propelled devices that divers use sometimes to get around under the ocean...except this one is still generally shaped like a surfboard.

Seeing that I do not surf, I haven't put the wax comb to the test. I have tried the bit driver, and it is functional. However the issue with this and the shooter above, the steel is a bit thin and sharp edged in places causing me some very slight discomfort while using this tool as a screwdriver. Likewise, as with the Shooter, if you plan on hanging this tool off a belt loop etc...you have a wax comb that won't attach to the metal bits. Maybe it is my OCD, that that sort of bothered me somewhat.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 01:19:42 PM
Leatherman PUMP.

Leatherman produces a series of 3 tools that focus on the shooting sports. This is the PUMP, a shotgun centric pocket tool. Front and center is a V cutter which Leatherman calls a gut hook for these models. A shotgun tool must have a choke wrench, and this one is no exception. Along with 2 nice length double ended hex driver bits, is the inclusion of a firearms dis-assembly punch. you also get an assortment of box wrenches and a sight adjustment tool which is nothing more than an extra large flat head screwdriver.

Now, I do not have a shotgun to try this tool on. You know, once I get my PAL and am able to buy firearms, I have a whole lot of tools to support them at the range. I digress, I haven't tried the features that are shotgun specific on this tool. There are a few negatives for me however, and primary to that is how does one carry this tool. I can only imagine that I am out shooting skeet and I want to use this tool. Wouldn't it be nice to have it on a belt or somewhere easier to access rather than a pocket? A specific hole for a lanyard might be a slight improvement. Another issue that I have with this tool, is the V notch gut hook. That is something I do not want moving around in my pockets able to hit other hard objects in there. My qualm is about protecting that blade from everyday wear and tear while it is bouncing around loose in a pocket. Other than that, it is a well thought out and functional tool.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:42:00 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: November 07, 2014, 01:40:16 PM
Leatherman CAM.

Second in a series of 3 pocket tools designed for the shooting industry and its users, is the CAM. The CAM is geared towards archery users. It basically looks like the PUMP featured above, with the exception of a broadhead wrench and instead of a dis-assembly punch, you get a boradhead sharpener...which is a nice touch. Kudos for giving this tool a carabiner, which improves the carrying options of this tool compared to the Pump. Most carabiners can double duty as a bottle opener. Something many hunters appreciate back at camp.

Leatherman is getting fancy with the designs of some of these tools. The arm of the carabiner looks like that of some compound bows with those cut outs. Nice little design cues exist here.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:43:40 PM by Chako »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 02:07:54 PM
Thruster than Pump ... makes sense to me..  :whistle:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #51 on: November 15, 2014, 10:52:00 AM
Wow, nice collection and reviews! Have you seen the "punisher" prybar tool, the Munroe Mega Dangler and P7 copies? The punisher tool is quite common. It seems to be a copy of a lesser-know Ill Gear tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: November 15, 2014, 12:30:49 PM
 :rofl:

Not sure of what you will make of the next one than.  :D

AaronX, Yes, the Punisher pry bar clone hasn't arrived to my door yet, and strongly suspect it will be a no show. I did not go for a Munroe Mega Dangler clone as I did't really view it as a tool per see for this topic...but that is just me.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: November 15, 2014, 12:44:55 PM
Leatherman Rail.

This is the last of the series of 3 pocket tools aimed at the shooting crowd. This last one is geared squarely at the ever larger AR user group. From what I have read and seen, the AR series of rifles and carbines come in a bewildering range of calibers, and accessories...so much so that the AR platform is considered the Barbie platform by many due to the bewildering array of accessories you can throw at it. Why not have an AR Leatherman pocket tool to help you maintain your souped up baby...this is where the Leatherman Rail comes into play.

Now there are plenty of AR enthusiast multi-tools out there. The Rail competes with plenty of other manufacturers such as those from Multitasker, Gerber, and even N-Star. All of those are more comprehensive than the bare bones capability of the Rail...which is where the Rail comes in. Because it is so bare bones, you won't mind carrying it out in the field, and its simplicity does work for it. On the other hand, one of the issues I have with this tool, are the sharp pointy bits that stick out while carrying it. Not exactly the most user friendly package to haul around for comfort...but then again, it all depends on where you decide to carry it.

The rail does give you a front sight adjustment tool.  In this case, instead of being a special 1/4" bit driver, you get a fixed tool which is part of my carry issue of this tool. Minor quibbles I know. Likewise, you also get the ever present firearm disassembly punch, along with a pair of useful long driver bits both in standard and hex. The punch is of the screw type found on the MUT, but no place to attach it to the Rail, which in my opinion, limits its usefulness somewhat. Oddly enough, you also get an Oxygen wrench. I guess they wanted to use wasted space...but who needs an Oxygen wrench with an AR tool.  :think:

One thing lacking that most other AR tools on the market have going for it, is some method of cleaning your carbine. The Rail eschews that.

All in all, not that bad of a tool. I don't have an AR to test this, or any of my other AR specific tools, but I can imagine this tool would be useful out on the range.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: November 15, 2014, 01:06:18 PM
Leatherman Hail + Style PS.

Leatherman came out with a plier based tool called the Sidekick. What was of interest  was the accessory that the Sidekick came with. Not only did it come with a neat leather pouch style sheath, but an interesting carabiner that you could loop the leather carry sheath via 2 large grommets. That carabiner was the forerunner of all these type of carabiner tools, of which Leatherman has come out with a few since.

Not only did Leatherman take that concept of making a carabiner into a multi-tool, they also had a grand idea of mating such items with their Style PS line. Now this is pure genius, and it works rather well if I do say so myself. The addition of the Style is a big bonus, and really gives you a lot of function in a small package. Not all is rosy however, and I will get to that later.

The Leatherman Hail was produced in partnership with a company called Signal Snowboards. Consequently, I had to find mine at a snowboarding shop online...which wasn't the easiest thing to do at the time as I recall. As you probably have guessed by now, this combo is geared towards snowboarders. The Leatherman Hail comes in stainless steel and BO finishes.

Adding the Style PS does add a lot of functionality, but you can buy the Hail alone. The carabiner itself does have quite a few functions to it that does make it handy I suppose to a snowboarder. I can only surmise as I have never snowboarded myself. The Hail features a nice large scraper, a lace tightener/headphone cord storage, a combo #3 flat/Phillips screwdriver, and 10mm hex wrench. Oh I can't forget the carabiner doing double function as a bottle opener. There is even a nice hole for a lanyard if you want to carry it around a neck, etc...

My issue and it is a slight one, has to do with the mating of the Style PS to the Hail. It is fiddly at best, and with cold fingers, can be downright hard to accomplish. It does require a bit of practice as the Style will only slide in one way, and one side at that. If you don't get this right, you do risk the possibility of jamming the tool inside the carabiner, I managed to do that once and it was a bear to get back out. I did succeed, and learned my lesson and never did that again. But outdoors in the snow, I can imagine the fiddly factor to increase and the probability of losing the Style PS in deep snow to rise. I imagine that is just an occupational hazard if you want to use such a tool on the slopes. On the plus side, once you shoe horn the Style into place, it will never come out on its own...and that is a good thing. :)

Overall, a nice neat package. I love the ingenuity of the Style PS sliding in there, even though it is one of my quibbles about the design. I can't see how they could possibly improve on the design either.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:30:19 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: November 15, 2014, 01:52:18 PM
Leatherman Rime.

Here is another partnership tool with Signal Snowboarding Company, the Rime is a more cut down carabiner tool compared to its larger sister the Hail mentioned above. The Rime only offers a lace assist/headphone storage, a scraper, a bottle opener, and #3 flat/Phillips screwdriver. In fact, it is easy to think of the Rime as the Hail minus the Style PS. Or should it be the Hail is a Rime adapted to piggy back a Style PS. Either way, the Hail and Rime are functionally the same...differing only in shape, and the lack of that 10mm hex wrench on the Hail.

So no quibbles of the piggy back design here, and as far as a carabiner goes, it is functional. Not much more to add here as I do not snowboard.  :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: November 15, 2014, 02:03:56 PM
Leatherman Jam + Style PS.

Here is another carabiner and Style PS combo, even though you can buy the Jam alone. This time, Leatherman paired up with pro skateboarders like Arto Saari to design the Jam. Much like the Hail + Style PS, my issues with the piggyback awkwardness remains. With that said, I still am a fan of the design. Anything that maximizes wasted space into useful space is big in my books.

The Jam features a grip tape file, a 9/16", 1/2" and 3/8" open wrench, and of course the ubiquitous bottle opener. I found the Jam  to be easy to carry around. It does feature pointed areas like the Rail, but these were rounded enough that I didn't find them to um...er...jam me painfully at any time.

I still feel that if you need a skateboard specific tool and you like Leatherman, you should do yourself a favour and get the carabiner with Style PS. Issues of jamming aside (which gets eliminated once you try it out a few times), the inclusion of the Style makes a great addition to ones outdoor pocket toolkit. That it fits in was is mostly, dead space, makes the combo all that more sweeter in my opinion..

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: November 15, 2014, 02:26:00 PM
Leatherman Croc.

Here is something that surprised a lot of folks when it first came out. Meet the Leatherman Croc. A specialty item that came packaged with a Leatherman Sidekick. These were made for Home Depot in the United States. I couldn't find one at my local Home Depot in Canada, and I did search high and low. In fact, I even asked the store manager at the time, and was told that it was a US only item. US and Canadian retailers always seem to carry different things...even if they are the same store...just a different branch.

Anyways, the Croc is notable as being a cut down Piranha. Notable also for the name being stamped on the tool. Not finished as well as the Piranha, and also lacking a screwdriver feature, the Croc offers most of the functionality of the original Piranha...which of course was a Pocket Tool X design before they got bought out by Leatherman. Not sure how many Crocs were made, but because they were made for a specific retailer, one can only assume that less were made...which might make the Croc a hot commodity for collectors down the road.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: November 15, 2014, 02:36:58 PM
Leatherman Piranha.

Leatherman bought out Seattle based PocketTool X in the summer of 2012. With that, Leatherman placed into production a triumvirate of tools. Those tools are the Brewzer, the Mako TI, and the Piranha, all popular PocketTool X models. I call these the first wave of Leatherman pocket tools. Here we have the Piranha, possibly PocketTool X's most popular design. As far as designs go, I think it is a winner.

If you take a look at this link, you can see that the Piranha is feature rich. You can also tell that Leatherman didn't mess with a good design...that is until later when they came out with a version 2 of the Piranha.

http://theawesomer.com/pockettoolx-piranha/77144/

It is a bit unfortunate that this Piranha lasted only for one year before a new version was rolled out. This makes this Piranha discontinued. It might also make this tool a hot commodity for Leatherman collectors as time passes. You can also tell that the fit and finish on this tool surpasses that of the Croc mentioned above.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: November 15, 2014, 02:50:23 PM
Leatherman Piranha 2.

After a short time on the market, the Piranha, based on the original design from PocketTool X, was upgraded to version 2. Many folks thought it was a downgrade due to that cutout designed to apply some tension on the bit driver and hex wrench. I have only seen one complaint of the tool breaking at a week point due to that cutout. With that said, I do like the original design better...because like a lot of folks around here, I tend to distrust that small thin sliver of metal. I will say, at this point in time, there doesn't appear to be any evidence to think that it won't stand up compared to the original design. I will say, looking at it, using the top jaw as a pry bar, with all that metal cut out for the bit driver, one would think it would snap right off.

My distrusts aside, that cut out does make using the driver a nicer thing, as that thin metal piece does a good job of holding the bit in place. Leatherman also did not round off some of the edges, making the pry bar function a little easier to use.

This can either be a positive or minus...but the version 2 used Leatherman's proprietary flat driver bits.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44