Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great Keychain One Piece Tool Roundup.

Chako · 102 · 20280

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: The Great Keychain One Piece Tool Roundup.
Reply #60 on: November 15, 2014, 02:57:13 PM
Leatherman Mako Ti.

The Mako Ti is part of the first wave of pocket tools taken directly from PocketTool X. I am a bit surprised that Leatherman hasn't updated this like the Piranha to take Leatherman's proprietary flat driver bits. The Mako Ti is a tool designed to fix bicycles. As such, it is well designed and thought out.

Inside a relatively small package, you get 8, 9, 10, 15, 16 hex wrenches, and 14, 15 gauge spoke wrenches. Along with that you get 4 1/4" driver bits. Oh can't forget that bottle opener. :)

As far as bicycle tools go, this one is brilliant and well thought out. You get a lot of functionality in a small package. Bonus because it is made from titanium.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: November 15, 2014, 03:03:26 PM
Leatherman Brewzer.

Sorry for my above image, as my flash washed out the Leatherman Brewzer logo laser etched on the surface.

This is the last and smallest of Leatherman's first wave of pocket tools. The Brewzer was a popular PocketTool X model, and after being bought out by Leatherman, was quickly put into Leatherman's product line. this little diminutive tool is all about opening beverages, which it does with aplomb. It can also be used as a mini pry bar, but the size of this tool does work against you. There is also an included oxygen wrench for kicks which also allows the use of a key chain ring or lanyard.

Not much else to say other than it is a very small tool that would fit perfectly on any keychain...ready to open that next cold one.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: November 15, 2014, 03:12:33 PM
Leatherman Grind.

Here is another skateboarder tool designed by Leatherman with the help of several pro skateboarders much like the Jam mentioned in a previous post. The Grind is a pair of open ended wrenches attached via a pair of nylon buttons that keep both parts of the tool together. Simply slide them apart and you have two tools. Very handy because a single wrench is fairly useless without something to shore up the other end.

You get a 9/16", 1/2", and 3/8" open wrench, truck key, grip tape file, # 1/2 flat/Phillips screwdriver, and of course, a bottle opener.

I must say, this tool is a lot more ergonomic to use compared to the carabiner designed Jam. Of course, you do miss out on having a Style PS tucked in, but the Grind does have other things going for it. Some good engineering and thought went into the design of this tool. I guess it would be ultimately up to a skateboarder which tool would fit their needs. At least Leatherman has a pair of tools to choose from.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: November 15, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
Leatherman Pocket Tool By the Numbers.

What follows are a series of Tools that came out in April/May of 2014, which Leatherman called "By the Numbers". this series of 10 somewhat similar pocket tools came out with much confusion as they just showed up on Leatherman's web site with little to no explanation. It didn't take Leatherman long to come out with an announcement that this series was designed with feedback much in mind. The idea was that users of these tools could respond back to Leatherman about their likes and dislikes and hopefully, somewhat guide the next round of pocket tool designs. There was a thought that these would be limited edition tools, but time has proved otherwise, as the tools are still active on Leatherman's web site.

All of these pocket tools are rather small, and cheap, retailing for around the 11 US dollar mark at time of introduction. You could buy the whole set of 10 for 110 US dollars. Leatherman wasn't very keen in publishing the various box and hex wrench sizes either.

Note that there are only a few designs, #4 and #5 being the standouts. All others are minor variations of a basic design, with half the tools being duplicated for Imperial or Metric box wrenches. This hopefully eliminates any confusion.

Imperial         Metric
   #1        =     #7
   #2        =     #8
   #3        =     #9
   #6        =     #10

Tools #4 and #5 are unique to the series and are the standouts for me. 

Now time to list them all separately.

Pocket Tool #1.

Features an Imperial box wrench in 5 sizes, box opener, #1-2 flat/Phillips driver, and bottle opener that doubles as a hex wrench.

Pocket Tool #2.

Featuring the same Imperial box wrench set as #1, this one differs in having a small mini pry bar/large flat screwdriver.

Pocket Tool #3.

Leatherman Pocket Tool #3 differs from #2 in having a different tip. This one features a smaller flat driver along with a bifurcated pry bar that would be ok for pulling up small nails. Also a nice addition is the inclusion of a lanyard hole. The box wrenches are Imperial on this model.

Pocket Tool #4.

Probably one of the stars of this series, simply because it included a Leatherman proprietary flat driver bit. You get a large flat driver/scrapper, box and bottle opener. You can't get much torque due to the size, however, the inclusion of a removable bit driver makes #4 stand out from the rest of the series.

Pocket Tool #5.

It states that this one is a limited edition, and that it is the workhorse of the series. I find this one sticks out much like #4, but for different reasons. This is a shrunken Piranha minus the bit driver. Featuring a Metric box wrench set, and an Imperial open wrench set along with a box opener, scraper, small flat screwdriver, and bottle opener, #5 is feature rich for its size. One of the standout designs of this series.

Pocket Tool #6.

Another tool that features a set of Imperial box wrenches, a bottle and box opener, and a 1-2# flat/Phillips screwdriver.

Pocket Tool #7.

Same as the #1, but with metric box wrenches for the International crowd.

Pocket Tool #8.

Same as the #2, but with metric box wrenches for the International crowd.

Pocket Tool #9.

Same as the #3, but with metric box wrenches for the International crowd.

Pocket Tool #10.

Same as the #6, but with metric box wrenches for the International crowd.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:15:09 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: November 15, 2014, 04:37:36 PM
Paper Knives E.D.C.

As some of you probably already know, I like to collect utility knives. There is something to say about a knife that you don't have to worry about sharpening, where the blades are super cheap and plentiful. I came across this version which to me was very elegant and compact. I do believe this is an EDC GEAR item, even though it is marked Paper Knives E.D.C. If it is marketed and sold by EDC GEAR, it is an easy assumption that this is a ripped off idea from some other inventor/kick start campaign, and or other business. I couldn't find the originator of this design online.

When I got this home, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use this. I tried sliding the blade out to no avail. I then took a fine Phillips driver to the unit and see if it was something I had to do to get the blade out. My immediate thought was this was a stupid idea...as when I open the knife and place the blade out, I won't be able to close it without having to use a Phillips driver on it. I was wrong. After opening it did I realize how ingenious this design is. Simply push aside that top metal section and you can easily slide the blade out into a locking position. Press that metal section sideways to slide the blade back in. I like this design.

The backside also features a bottle opener, and a flat driver/pry bar/scrapper. I like this design quite a lot. I am a bit unhappy in not being able to pin down the original...as I might have a go at buying a few more in the future.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #65 on: November 15, 2014, 10:18:31 PM
Leatherman Piranha 2.

This can either be a positive or minus...but the version 2 used Leatherman's proprietary flat driver bits.
Nice write up as always Chako.
Piranha 2 can use both proprietary bits and standard bits, but only proprietary bit can be stored on board.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: November 15, 2014, 10:32:22 PM
That is very true.  :tu:

I will do you one in return. See all those By the Number tools, the bottle opener is the right size to to be used with 1/4" driver bits. You could use each to turn regular sized driver bits.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:39:28 PM by Chako »

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #67 on: November 16, 2014, 05:16:35 AM
Paper Knives E.D.C.

... I do believe this is an EDC GEAR item, even though it is marked Paper Knives E.D.C. If it is marketed and sold by EDC GEAR, it is an easy assumption that this is a ripped off idea from some other inventor/kick start campaign, and or other business. I couldn't find the originator of this design online.

Looks similar to the Rexford R.U.T. -- a $135 box cutter.   :D

http://rexfordknives.com/
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: November 16, 2014, 06:59:44 AM
Bingo. Great find. Looks like that is the item alright.  :salute:  :)

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #69 on: November 16, 2014, 02:16:40 PM
Great posts Chako,
Just in case it hasn't already been posted, I found the original designers for some of the EDC Gear stuff.

The big H shaped tool was a stretch goal on Brad Martin's kickstarter for the WTF mini (the diamond shaped one).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tactical/wtf-mini-titanium-keychain

I'm really annoyed now. I thought I'd found and written down what the T-handle shaped tool was, buy apparently not. All I know is that the maker's logo is a cross in a circle with flared corners, so it looks a little bit like an "iron cross".
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: November 16, 2014, 02:32:56 PM
I knew it wasn't their design. No surprises there, and excellent researching on your part. I couldn't find it at all online.

If I come across some other tools that fit in here...and I wonder if I have something else from my collection that I have overlooked, I will be adding them here. As for the rest, if others want to contribute to this thread by all means. It would be nice to have some Atwoods and originals up here to contrast with the clones/copies/rip off items that I have found online for cheap.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: November 16, 2014, 07:37:50 PM
Chako, I know it might be a big job, but I can't find the answer anywhere.
What size wrenches are on the Piranha and the other numbers tools?

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #72 on: November 17, 2014, 04:18:43 AM
Paper Knives E.D.C.

... I do believe this is an EDC GEAR item, even though it is marked Paper Knives E.D.C. If it is marketed and sold by EDC GEAR, it is an easy assumption that this is a ripped off idea from some other inventor/kick start campaign, and or other business. I couldn't find the originator of this design online.

Looks similar to the Rexford R.U.T. -- a $135 box cutter.   :D

http://rexfordknives.com/

Yeah, he just came out with a fresh batch. TAD has a more expensive customised version. I'm not a fan of needing 2 hands to open a utility blade, though.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: November 18, 2014, 12:21:29 AM
What size wrenches are on the Piranha and the other numbers tools?

Leatherman 1, 2, 3, 6:  5/16”, 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2” and 5/8”

Leatherman 7, 8, 9, 10:  6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm and 15mm

Leatherman 4:  No wrenches

Leatherman 5:  5/16”, 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2”, 5/8”, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm

Piranha 2:  1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #74 on: November 19, 2014, 05:15:26 AM
EDC Pocket Bottle Opener Tool.

Here is another interesting design. I unfortunately couldn't dig up the original, however, I do have strong suspicions that it is another Kickstarter design campaign.

Hey I was just looking around and found the original: Steve Ryan Punch Key
http://www.monkeyedge.com/Steve-Ryan-Punch-Key-Titanium-Multitool-p/srk0104-mf152.htm

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #75 on: November 19, 2014, 12:35:59 PM
Well spotted, yes that must have been the site where I saw it last.
(does anyone else think that there's something quite odd with the design of the two wrenches in the handle part of the tool, in the link above?)

Incidentally that design is the second iteration, with the original being the one that EDCGear copied almost exactly. I don't know where this picture came from, or whose logo that is, as it's definitely not Steve Ryan's current one.

Steve Ryan also designed some, or all, of the Surefire knife range and there were some earlier Punch Keys branded as "SF".

Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: November 19, 2014, 02:24:16 PM
Scratch the LM Crock as a one time collectable.
They reissued them this year for Bass Pro Shops in a Christmas special package with a Wave for 89usd item no10-2147325 on page 168 of the Christmas 2014 catalog.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:25:58 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: November 19, 2014, 02:25:29 PM
Ordered my first flint stone... yabadabadoo... from dx.com (this one). Funny thing is, that all the paperwork is for the original Exotac nanoStrikerXL).

I'm not an expert but it appears that both are produced in the same place by the same company. You can also see, that everything is the same, even the lanyard and the spare o-rings.
firestriker.jpg
* firestriker.jpg (Filesize: 171.04 KB)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:06:07 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #78 on: November 19, 2014, 02:51:07 PM
Ordered my first flint stone... yabadabadoo... from dx.com (this one). Funny thing is, that all the paperwork is for the original Exotac nanoStrikerXL).

I'm not an expert but it appears that both are produced in the same place by the same company. You can also see, that everything is the same, even the lanyard and the spare o-rings.

I ordered a fake MatchCap (case) and it came with an original-looking instruction as well. It might be OEM, but it's not exactly the same as the original.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: November 19, 2014, 03:07:39 PM
I wouldn't be too convinced by just the paperwork.
When I worked in PPE one of our units was being copied by a Chinese company and even we had trouble telling the difference at first glance. When we drop tested one we found it was actually testing well above not only legal safe limits but also above lethal arresting force.
They copied everything, design, labels, stich patterns, proprietary hardware, custom color stripes woven in the webbing. They even copied our instructions complete with photos of one of our certification trainers showing how to use it. It looked like ours but it didn't preform like ours.
The only reason we caught it was our sales office was expanding to SE Asia and found that our "brand" was already known in markets/countries we had never sold in.

DX "Handy Outdoor Fire Lighting Magnesium Flint Stone Tool Set - Orange" listing has photos of an "EXOTAC" with markings visible then says made by EDC gear. ExoTac is 100% USA made, as where EDC is all Chinese.

That said Flint strikers are almost as much about technique as the blend of iron to magnesium and other stuff in the rod. People develop preferences for one blend over another and have great debates about it. Most all work.  I have personally never had trouble out of the cheep 2$ rods from HF But I'm sure there's a bush crafter out there that will rip into me for not having a 60$  Dave Canterbery  special 8in ferro rod. Chris form PrepairedMind101 did a nice set of comparison YT videos of a DaveC rod vs. the Chinese copy.  In the end though there was a visible difference in the amount and type of spark they both work and it comes down to preferred technique.

So coagulations on taking the time to learn a new fire making technique. May you be toasty warm and never stop improving your skills. After all in the end what else do we have other than our skills.
And maybe few tons of metal; I mean multitools.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:18:13 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:42 PM

I ordered a fake MatchCap (case) and it came with an original-looking instruction as well. It might be OEM, but it's not exactly the same as the original.
Don't care, its 4.7 times cheaper. And seriously, its not that much of a design (not like some one-piece tools).

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #81 on: November 19, 2014, 05:35:18 PM
I need to upgrade my Keychain MT. The SAK Classic isn't cutting it anymore.

-AdmSlc

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: November 19, 2014, 06:47:48 PM

-AdmSlc
Have you tried to sharpen it :angel:

Try a Midnight Manager :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #83 on: November 19, 2014, 06:56:33 PM
To small?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #84 on: November 19, 2014, 07:16:58 PM

-AdmSlc
Have you tried to sharpen it :angel:

Try a Midnight Manager :tu:
Lol!!

-AdmSlc

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #85 on: November 19, 2014, 07:17:20 PM

To small?
Yea, mostly just bored of it.

-AdmSlc

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: November 20, 2014, 11:01:21 PM
EDC GEAR Scallop tool.

Here is another weirdly designed tool that offers a lot of functions. Guaranteed to be designed by someone else however, but once again, the Google Gods were unhelpful. As a group however, we seem to be batting really good at figuring out the OEM folks.

This design appears to offer a little of everything. You get an assortment of hex wrenches, a nice V notch cutter, a 1/4" bit driver hole, a nice big scrapper, a twist style bottle cap opener, as well as the type you hook under the cap. I am uncertain as to the V cut out top and center. Maybe a sight mechanism to target those odd jobs, although it probably is an included nail puller. Included is a hole for a lanyard.

it is a bit big, but then not much wasted space on the tool either. I sort of like this one.

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #87 on: November 24, 2014, 09:07:21 PM
I'm going to roll the Leatherman Juice C2 for my new Keychain tool. What do you think?

-AdmSlc

us Offline abcdef

Reply #88 on: November 25, 2014, 07:01:31 PM
Here is the original for the EDC GEAR Scallop tool.  I have one.  I'm so ripped off. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035213898/the-knuckler-a-multi-tool-to-roll-with-the-punches?ref=email

us Offline abcdef

Reply #89 on: November 25, 2014, 07:10:42 PM
P.S.  In the Kickstarter link you will also see the Parachute Tool, which is another EDC copy. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%