Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great Keychain One Piece Tool Roundup.

Chako · 102 · 20046

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: The Great Keychain One Piece Tool Roundup.
Reply #90 on: November 25, 2014, 08:52:26 PM
Bingo. I knew EDC GEAR didn't design something.

Looks like they steal kickstarter ideas and start mass producting them before the originals get made.  :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #91 on: December 03, 2014, 03:22:52 AM

I found this off of a Chinese merchant on eBay. I thought it might be a real CRKT tool, but the box was one of those plain boxed affairs, and it included a long bead chain. This makes me believe this is once again, another knock off. I could be wrong on that however.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 05:05:19 AM
The Opener Ring.

I found this one at a local store...go figure. This is a bottle opener ring. I think it sort of fits the criteria.

What are they going to think up next? I guess if you had the bottle opener function downwards, you can amaze your drinking buddies by magically opening those beer bottles with your hand.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:12:11 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 05:11:34 AM
EDC Gear Scissors.

Here is another EDC Gear item. This time around, it is a neat little pair of scissors who's design was stolen from True Utility who's product is called the sciXors.

The scissors are held together by a simple ball bearing pin on a small keyring. The idea is to push that ball bearing pin through the scissor handles to hold it to your key chain, and simply pull it away for use. The scissors are internally sprung, so they open for use very easily. Not a bad design all in all.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #94 on: January 01, 2015, 10:18:54 PM
Yes! I finally found a ScrewPop locally, albeit in Sault Michigan. I knew I had to take it home with me.

The kit I found came with the ScrewPop, a small LED key-chain screwdriver, and a one piece tool.

The ScrewPop is a sold piece of kit that gives you a screwdriver and a bottle opener. Nothing fancy about it, which in my books is a good thing. It is a bit large, but that size means it is a mean bottle opener, and you have enough meat to get a real good grip, and some torque behind that screw driver. The LED flashlight is nothing special. It doesn't throw much light, and the carabiner doubles as a bottle opener. The one piece tool is  made from metal. I had to throw a magnet on it to see if it passed that test. The sides are a bit rough, but more than acceptable for this type of tool. Not bad for a whole 7 US bucks.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: January 01, 2015, 10:28:45 PM
Yes, I finally got one of these in the door. I had ordered one with all the rest but the deal didn't go through. Now I have this beautifully designed tool. This one is thicker than the EDC GEAR pocket tools, and I must confess, this is a nice design that is high on the fiddle factor. I can't seem to put this tool down since I got it.

My copy is made of stainless steel, and I am certain it is a clone of the real tool which is probably made from Titanium.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: January 03, 2015, 04:00:09 PM
Sanrenmu pocket tools.

I just got these in last night. My thoughts on these are that the general fit and finish are above those of EDC GEAR. So in other-words, if you are looking for a cheap one piece pocket tool, I think you can't go far wrong with these. These are manufactured in China, but from what I can tell, Sanrenmu is above a lot of the low quality Chinese materials I see out there.

Also note that many of these designs appear to be public property among Chinese manufacturers, despite most of these being made elsewhere or stolen from kick-starter campaigns and various other intellectual sites.

Here is a group shot of the 9 models I found online.

Sanrenmu GJ022D

Sanrenmu GJ017D

The backside features a ruler in centimeters.

Sanrenmu SK013D

Sanrenmu SK015D

Sanrenmu GJ023D

Sanrenmu SK012D

Sanrenmu GJ023D

On the reverse side, two rulers.

Sanrenmu SK014D

Sanrenmu SK016D

Of the lot, I find the interesting model is the SK014D mostly because it has a built in glass breaker.

Those tools that didn't come with a carabiner came with a nice quality key ring.

I must also give some credit to my two assistants once again. Without them, a photo shoot just wouldn't be the same.  :)

So what do I think of these Sanrenmu pocket tools. I can easily say get these above the EDC GEAR, as the general fit, finish, and quality appears to be higher than its competitors. Unfortunately, Sanrenmu did see fit to copy some designs out there. I guess with time, these designs will be ubiquitous and quite possibly classic or timeless. For now, I would have liked to see a bit more creativity going into their products rather than copy some designs that are already much copied.

If given the choice of buying a Sanrenmu or an EDC GEAR product, SRM wins out every-time based on what I have seen here.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #97 on: January 21, 2015, 12:23:57 AM
Just picked 3 of those TAD skeleton replicas from SPAMCORP.com while the seller had them on sale for $2.40 each. Couldn't resist really  :facepalm:

Decided to leave one unmolested and acid-dip the other two followed by a stone wash in light and dark-gray finish. I really like the finished look and feel.

And just as Chako, I ain't keen to dish out $100 on a thicker Ti-made original.  8)

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #98 on: January 23, 2015, 02:36:53 AM
EDC Gear E79 multi-tool.

Here is something really different, and large. So large in fact, I have to wonder how to carry thing hunk of steel.

Now I am certain this is not an EDC Gear original concept. i am sure this was also found in some kickstarter campaign, but I couldn't find the original after much online searching. I just don't have the originals name to find it.

The nice thing about this design however, are those grooves on the edges. The size and those grooves makes this tool the perfect para-cord recipient and quite possibly a place in a bugout bag, or other survivalist type kit. You could even use this as a good basis for a fishing kit by wrapping fishing line around it.

At first, I didn't quite like this design, thinking it very large...but then I missed the point of this design. It really shines if you plan on using it as a rope/fishing line organizer and then tossed into a kit where its size won't be much of a factor, but will help with the use of rope work. Think makeshift grappling hook, or rope organizer, or fishing kit...and then you start opening up to the possibilities. This is not a tool meant for key or pocket carry. Once I got over that hurdle, I can appreciate this a little more.

Hmm I suddenly have it in my head to get this for paracord, but I can't find it anymore. Maybe I'll get a fishing line spool or something.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #99 on: January 23, 2015, 03:26:03 AM
EDC Gear E79 multi-tool.

Here is something really different, and large. So large in fact, I have to wonder how to carry thing hunk of steel.

Now I am certain this is not an EDC Gear original concept. i am sure this was also found in some kickstarter campaign, but I couldn't find the original after much online searching. I just don't have the originals name to find it.

The nice thing about this design however, are those grooves on the edges. The size and those grooves makes this tool the perfect para-cord recipient and quite possibly a place in a bugout bag, or other survivalist type kit. You could even use this as a good basis for a fishing kit by wrapping fishing line around it.

At first, I didn't quite like this design, thinking it very large...but then I missed the point of this design. It really shines if you plan on using it as a rope/fishing line organizer and then tossed into a kit where its size won't be much of a factor, but will help with the use of rope work. Think makeshift grappling hook, or rope organizer, or fishing kit...and then you start opening up to the possibilities. This is not a tool meant for key or pocket carry. Once I got over that hurdle, I can appreciate this a little more.

Hmm I suddenly have it in my head to get this for paracord, but I can't find it anymore. Maybe I'll get a fishing line spool or something.

How hard did you look?  ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pocket-Multi-Tools-Outdoor-CNC-Stainless-Rules-Nail-Puller-Spanner-Roping-/191271029010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c88a44912
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/E79-Pocket-Multi-Tools-Outdoor-CNC-Stainless-Rules-Nail-Puller-Spanner-Roping/2034970218.html
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline abcdef

Reply #101 on: January 23, 2015, 03:08:36 PM
Here you go.  The same as the WTF guy - again!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tactical/wtf-mini-titanium-keychain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD