Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blown Away

us Offline blade_lover

Blown Away
on: November 07, 2014, 12:22:28 AM
I'll keep this short and sweet, as it's my first post. 

I'm a long-time multi tool lover.  My collection has always predominantly been Leatherman.  I've had the Surge, a couple variations of the Wave, Wingman, Juice XE6, etc.  Along with these, I've also had plenty of Swiss Army Knives, but "knives" being the keyword there.  While SAKs are considered multi tools (my favorite is the Swiss Champ), they certainly aren't considered full size.  I've enjoyed each in my collection, but have never considered them in the same league as my Leatherman tools.  Today, everything changed.  In my eyes, Leatherman has been dethroned once and for all.

On a whim, I decided to throw some money away on another multi tool (can you blame me?).  It was time to give the good people at Victorinox a chance.  I ordered the Swisstool Spirit X.  I wasn't even excited about its arrival.  Very nonchalantly, I opened the package and was immediately taken aback by the brown leather carry pouch.  "Oh," I thought, "this is fancy."  This was only the tip of the iceberg. 

As for the actual tools on the device, everything has floored me in the short time I've had it.  Nothing wobbles, everything locks and each tool is conveniently located on the outside.  The pliers are firm and lock well into place.  The knife is razor sharp out of the box, as well as being quite ergonomic in hand.  There truly isn't anything for me to complain about. 

Feel free to refute my claims or agree with my take on this awesome multi tool!
blade_lover

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Blown Away
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:38:33 AM
The fit and finish of the Spirit X are amazing. I had one, and traded it away, only because I find the OHO blade on the Wave more functional.

On any given day, I'll waffle between thinking the Wave or Spirit X are best, and usually for completely different reasons.

You won't find many folks here who dis the Spirit. Aside from slippery-when-oily issues, and the aforementioned no-oho, it doesn't have many shortcomings. And man, the buttery smooth operation is awesome.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 12:44:58 AM
When I got my Spirit,I thought that was the end of me buying Multitools! I've bought others since,but I certainly Havnt bought a better one! If only they were UK legal :cry:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:23:36 AM
Welcome to the forum! Many of us share your love for the Swisstools and I am one of them. Every time someone complains about a Leatherman or is looking into a different multitool company to try I always point them in the Swisstool direction. Now you need a full size Swisstool X.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 01:42:38 AM
Shhhhhhhhh!   The price will never go down on the used ones with glowing accolades like these!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 01:58:50 AM
Welcome, great choice on the Spirit. Hope you have deep pockets cause this bunch will have you spending some serious cash :)

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:04:39 AM
Welcome aboard!  The Spirit seems almost too pretty and well-built to use hard. Almost.... >:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 02:13:00 AM
I LOVE the spirit line of multitools!

Its the only tools I collected all versions of.  :D

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 02:22:53 AM
I had the opotunity to get a spirit last Christmas but went for the xe6 instead,I don't regret my disision but still would love to try a spirit one day  :tu:

us Offline blade_lover

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 05:27:08 AM
I am already digging this group!  You guys are awesome.  I will say this, the one flaw of the Spirit X that I didn't initially notice was the lack of a thread hole on the awl.  Definitely not a deal breaker, but whew...I'm almost glad it isn't perfect!
blade_lover

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 06:19:51 AM
I had one, it was ok, after I put it down on a flat table top, ..  :o :rant: ... Returned it the next morning.

Welcome to MTO
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 06:23:11 AM
 :pok:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47468.0.html

While I don't scrutinize the spirit to this extent it hasn't kicked my Wave off my belt either.  I do like the spirit and have most of the versions.  I also like, really like the Swisstool and also have most the versions but in that category I'll take my Surge over it. 

There is something pretty terrific about how they both feel like more than a tool.  It's apparent upon first handling them, beautifully engineered and the finish is outstanding.  I can also attest to Victorinox warranty department so use the tool to its fullest and enjoy. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 06:29:47 AM
While many members here worship the swiss tools, I do not.  :whistle:
Leatherman is still the best in my book.
One hand open blades, replaceable cutter, pocket clip,  exchangeable bits, those are features I really like and swisstool don't have.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:31:21 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline mrog

Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 07:49:47 AM
Welcome to the club playa. The Spirit X is my favorite medium sized multi tool.

My five favorite things about the Spirit X are
1. Compact. No wasted space. Simple and strong. Rides nice in the pocket.
2. Butter smooth tool opening, unlocking, and closing. Even the pliers click in and out with precision.
3. All outside tools. No opening of the plier handles to find your tool. Less fumbling while the person youre helping waits lol. All outside tools is underrated and genius.
4. Awl, chisel, and pry bar. Love all 3 tools very much. Saves blade from poking, scraping, and prying too.
5. Don't gotta deal with rust
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 08:30:44 AM
Welcome to the club playa. The Spirit X is my favorite medium sized multi tool.

My five favorite things about the Spirit X are
1. Compact. No wasted space. Simple and strong. Rides nice in the pocket.
2. Butter smooth tool opening, unlocking, and closing. Even the pliers click in and out with precision.
3. All outside tools. No opening of the plier handles to find your tool. Less fumbling while the person youre helping waits lol. All outside tools is underrated and genius.
4. Awl, chisel, and pry bar. Love all 3 tools very much. Saves blade from poking, scraping, and prying too.
5. Don't gotta deal with rust

I agree with all listed. Just to add something. The outside opening tools make it so when using the pliers their is absolutely no sharp edges and makes the grip excellent. The very little worry of rust is a huge up side for me.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 08:34:38 PM
Enablers each and every one of you.

I have been blissfully tooling along here ignorant of the Swisstools. Well more like trying to ignore them.

All my work is now ruined.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 09:44:18 PM

I have been blissfully tooling along here ignorant of the Swisstools. Well more like trying to ignore them.

Yeah, your toast ! Just give in .

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 09:45:58 PM

Lol-it sounds like this place has been a bad influence on you with all the Personal Shopping Assistants (enablers ;)) here >:D 

I have the regular Spirit (butterblade version) and really like it.  It has that versatility of being able to extend the handles for more reach, etc., which is something I enjoy about that design, with the bonus of all tools being on the outside. 

Despite this, it is one of the MTs I haven't seemed to really carry as much compared to my other main MTs.  I honestly don't know why this is :think:  There's nothing wrong with it, and it has such variety of implements and functions that I would think it should be right up there as a main carry.  I'll have to give my Spirit some much needed attention once I have access to it again (currently in storage).
K-Tibbs

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 09:54:03 PM

Since the day you signed up for MTO...

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 11:03:03 PM

You got to try a spirit Robert.

It's the only multitool I own 2 of.

Defend the Hive!!!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 12:55:18 AM
The Spirit is a sweet tool ...

So is the Swisstool ...

The biggest issue I have with them is that they are just too pretty to use.

The first one I got was the Road Tour Edition, I thought it was so nice that I only carried it once (without really using it  ::)).

So I bought myself a "regular" Spirit with the butterblade as a user.  Only problem with that one was ... that it was too pretty  ::)

So I got myself another "regular" Spirit and I've been carrying that one every day to work since then.  And guess what ?  They can take a true beating, it's hard to see which one is my user and which ones aren't. 

So I went through the same phases wen I got my first Swisstool (and my second ... and my third  ::)).

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 02:09:30 AM
Yeah, TG-24 has like 27 Spirits....minus 1 once he sends me that Road Tour edition :pok:
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 02:44:50 AM

The biggest issue I have with them is that they are just almost, but not quite, too pretty to use.

Fixed that for you.  ;)  I have two Victorinox multitools.  The first is my Spirit RT, and it's a straight up user.  The second is a not too common one, an Aussie issue Swisstool.  That hasn't stopped it from opening paint cans, loosening and tightening screws, all the other things I use a multitool for at work.  >:D  The only thing is that the Aussie hasn't been used as a paint can closer - at least, not yet........
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 11:07:52 AM
Spirits are fine and lovely until you need to cut any wire. And that's why mine is languishing in a drawer and never gets carried.

It's pretty, the pliers are fine (though for me the Leathermans work better), the handles are comfortable to use, the tools are fine (Leatherman are better in some respects, Vic in others) but the wire cutters are IMO dire. Apart from MIG wire, I haven't found anything they cut well. And MIG wire isn't exactly difficult to cut.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 11:50:52 AM
Yeah, TG-24 has like 27 Spirits....minus 1 once he sends me that Road Tour edition :pok:

Keep trying buddy, keep trying ...  :waving:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 01:01:36 PM
Welcome to the forum, and yes, the Spirit is a sweet multi. :dd:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 02:24:24 PM

Keep trying buddy, keep trying ...  :waving:
Oh I will my friend ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 02:43:24 PM

You got to try a spirit Robert.

It's the only multitool I own 2 of.

What the smurf Joel now you are on the make Robert buy more smurf bandwagon?

I am already this close to buying my third SAK and the first one ain't even got here yet.  :facepalm:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 10:37:29 AM
When I got my Spirit,I thought that was the end of me buying Multitools! I've bought others since,but I certainly Havnt bought a better one! If only they were UK legal :cry:

+1

I wish it had a pocket clip too - would be the perfect tool then.  I can handle a SAK and torch bumping around in my pocket but a multi is too much and having some way of holding it in place would be great.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 11:57:51 AM
Yep - The Vic pliers based Multi tools are truly amazing - 'Blown away' is exactly the word for it!!

Read my brief post in this thread when I first set eyes on a Swisstool.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55465.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD