Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

18 yo birthday gift

Offline NickBose

• New User
18 yo birthday gift
on: November 08, 2014, 04:06:19 AM
I am looking for a birthday gift for my 18 yo son. I want something that he can use and can keep for a long time too. The discussion is here: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/166717?page=2#comment
One of the items I decided was a multitool. I am thinking of SwisTool but not sure which one.
Some say SwissTool like the RS or the III are built tougher than the Spirit series, is that true?
I also intend to engrave on the tool a phrase. Which SwissTool do you recommend and where to get the best price? I am from Australia. I check price on Amazon - looks good, any other place?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: 18 yo birthday gift
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:41:57 AM
I don't know what your son does for a living, but tougher doesn't always mean more useful. If he does professional stuff like carpentry, the Swisstool might be best, but if you just want him to have a good set of basic tools with him, the Spirit is lighter. The lighter the tool, the more likely he will be to have it on him at all times.

This idea goes all the way down to the smallest Swiss Army Knife, and you'll hear people say things like  'the best knife is the one you have on you'.

It might also depend on the size of his hands. If he wears a medium size glove, He may find the bigger multitools less comfortable in-hand, but I'll let other folks here speak with more authority to that. I have medium hands and didn't like the Leatherman Supertool 300, for instance, where I find the Rebar, Wave, and Spirit to be a great fit.

I thought the Spirit was built plenty tough, but I'm not a professional tool-user.

The only thing I can say with fair certainty is that either the Swisstool or the Swisstool Spirit will be great tools and will serve him well.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your decision. :salute:

EDIT: Also, welcome to the boards!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:36:53 AM
Used and beat my Swiss tool spirit up one side and down the other. Still works like new. I've had both tools and prefer the spirit. Solid tool IMO
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:41:33 AM
For getting to Australia at a reasonable price, I'm fond of e-bay or http://www.knifecenter.com/ . It's the mailing costs that can be a rort at some places. Last time I tried to get a knife on Amazon they would not ship it to Australia anyway.

I'm more a SAK person so no idea on the tools. On the SAK front, there are a number of pretty serious devices at the 111mm and 130mm size - see http://www.victorinox.com/ch/category/Category/Pocket-knives-with-lock-blade/1004;jsessionid=4B8B86F8E0765E5BE27C9F9BEC25B958?f=category&v=1/100/1004&m=add&

Cheers

Offline collim1

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 07:00:15 AM
It really depends on what kinds of activities he does on a daily basis.  I have several plier based multitools, but I only carry them when I foresee needing them.  Generally I find a Victorinox knife easier to carry. 

I think an Alox Farmer, Pioneer, or Electrician would make an excellent gift and a great tool to carry on a daily basis. 

I Carry a Farmer or a Tinker most days.  Both have a great toolset.  I find the Tinker useful in the city, and the Farmer better suited for out of the city limits. 

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 08:32:29 AM
The SwissTool is a very good multitool in itself with great quality and a tank for heavy duty stuff.

However for an 18-year old edc, my money's on Spirit:
It's newer technology, slightly improved tools, great ergonomics, lighter... and by the Gods... it the prettiest MultiTool ever designed... he'll spend hours just looking at it and fiddling with it (I know I am).

Also don't be fooled... the Spirit isn't just for light use... you won't see it break or bend. As stated above I never drove mine to the edge but it can take far more than its pretty looks might suggest.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline NickBose

• New User
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 09:04:42 AM
Any particular SwissTool Spirit you suggest? I am not sure how they are different?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 09:26:30 AM
Here's a video made by one of our members which highlights the differences.

In the end, it's up to personal preferences.
I for one, prefer the Spirit X... it has a proper pointy knife an some very nice scissors (they aren't long or open wide but they are straight, sharp and very, very strong)

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 10:04:08 AM
My suggestion is an Alox Mini-Champ.   Not a multitool if that is what you are decided on but a beautifully crafted item which can be carried every day.

If you are decided on a "swiss" multitool, the Swiss Tool is heavy.  If you decide on the lighter Spirit look out for the handle misalignment issue.  There are other multitools but you will need to post in another forum.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 10:10:12 AM
Just get him a leatherman wave  :facepalm:

gb Offline pingu

Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 10:23:54 AM
Just get him a l******m** wave  :facepalm:

What I was thinking but didn't want to say here :) (assuming the recipient is in a jurisdiction which allows locking OHO blades).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 10:46:18 AM by pingu »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 11:04:20 AM
Just get him a l******m** wave  :facepalm:

What I was thinking but didn't want to say here :) (assuming the recipient is in a jurisdiction which allows locking OHO blades).

I did read something about Australian laws but I can't remember now  :facepalm: for me the wave covers most tools,just my opinion,i did have a swisstool but sold it as prefers LM for trade work, the surge was my favourite full size mt  :tu:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 11:23:53 AM
one hand opening blades, bit driver, wire cutters that work... can't think why you'd want a Wave?  >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 05:56:33 PM
one hand opening blades, bit driver, wire cutters that work... can't think why you'd want a Wave?  >:D

My point,its another option  :tu:  :whistle:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 07:21:05 PM
I am looking for a birthday gift for my 18 yo son. I want something that he can use and can keep for a long time too.
Then you said:
Quote from: NickBose
"Even though he is of the nerdy type, not handy ..."

The tool that can be used and would be kept ... is a 2-layer or max 3-layer SAK. So, for the nerdy type boy would be the ideal option a "Yeoman"

or, even better, kinda alox Yeoman Syph007 masterpiece:

SAK - "Companion for Life!"

:climber:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 07:30:20 PM
Yeomans are rare and custom sak's are for us guys who know What tools we use but a sak or mt with most tools opens your options,if i was 18 i would be blown away by a swisschamp or lm wave ,
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:05:11 PM by Zed »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 07:56:55 PM

Because the Spirit was invented, making every other multitool instantly obsolete  :D

Seriously now... I love the Wave, it's a great tool and the one-handed opening blade is really nice, but the Spirit is so far in front in quality and ergonomics...

gb Offline pingu

Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 08:10:08 PM
... wire cutters that work... can't think why you'd want a Wave?  >:D

... but the Spirit is so far in front in quality and ergonomics...

I think *I* detected a hint of irony in Cupboard's comment but while I don't disagree with your general remark I find the Spirit cutters to be generally poor mainly as a result of the notch at the cutter midpoint resulting in a very short plain cutter section.   I have a specific need to cut stranded copper wire and the Spirit cutters just don't work for me :ahhh.  Presumably why the excellent scissors are needed...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:13:18 PM by pingu »

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 08:28:01 PM
Yeomans are rare and custom sak's are. For us guys who know What tools we use but a sak or mt with most tools opens your options,if i was 18 i would be blown away by a swisschamp or lm wave ,

You have a point there, but ...  :think:
If one hasn't shown some interest for carrying SAKs/MTs, and the point is to use/keep them, it's somehow big step from 0.00 oz. to SC's 6 oz. or even to wave's 8.5 oz. and their bulkiness  >:D

So, for that very reason I suppose a Yeoman would be a great little present and great entrance in the "EDC-tool's world" for a nerdy boy.

SAK rules  :climber:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 08:34:52 PM
... wire cutters that work... can't think why you'd want a Wave?  >:D

... but the Spirit is so far in front in quality and ergonomics...

I think *I* detected a hint of irony in Cupboard's comment but while I don't disagree with your general remark I find the Spirit cutters to be generally poor mainly as a result of the notch at the cutter midpoint resulting in a very short plain cutter section.   I have a specific need to cut stranded copper wire and the Spirit cutters just don't work for me :ahhh.  Presumably why the excellent scissors are needed...

True that... the best tool is the one that you need. I rarely cut wires or use other bits than Philips and straight so that's why prefer the Spirit... if you need the wire cutters a lot or handle various types of screws, probably the Wave would be the choice...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 08:52:06 PM
Yeomans are rare and custom sak's are. For us guys who know What tools we use but a sak or mt with most tools opens your options,if i was 18 i would be blown away by a swisschamp or lm wave ,

You have a point there, but ...  :think:
If one hasn't shown some interest for carrying SAKs/MTs, and the point is to use/keep them, it's somehow big step from 0.00 oz. to SC's 6 oz. or even to wave's 8.5 oz. and their bulkiness  >:D

So, for that very reason I suppose a Yeoman would be a great little present and great entrance in the "EDC-tool's world" for a nerdy boy.

SAK rules  :climber:

Very true but the yeoman is still hard to find so a explorer is another option,or we could start with alox  :facepalm:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 09:01:42 PM

Very true but the yeoman is still hard to find so a explorer is another option,or we could start with alox :facepalm:

Oh sure, let's just skip the gateway pieces and start the kid right away on the crack of the SAK world.  ;)  Personally I think the Explorer is a tough one to beat, though I LOVE my Swisschamp.  For the record, when I start getting people hooked give someone a SAK as a gift, it's almost always a Tinker.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 09:53:17 PM

Very true but the yeoman is still hard to find so a explorer is another option,or we could start with alox :facepalm:

Oh sure, let's just skip the gateway pieces and start the kid right away on the crack of the SAK world.  ;)  Personally I think the Explorer is a tough one to beat, though I LOVE my Swisschamp.  For the record, when I start getting people hooked give someone a SAK as a gift, it's almost always a Tinker.

I know tom as you sent me a tinker  :salute: of course most of us here have more than one sak or mt  :whistle: ok all of us  :rofl: but if i had to thin my collection down i would keep my swisschamp, explorer ,tinker,farmer and my og wave,ok not much help i know but all great choices  :tu:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 02:27:17 AM
I think anything that starts with a "V", and ends with "ictorinox" is a good choice. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 12:43:28 PM
Definitely go for the Spirit - And probably the X model
Which seems to be called the Spirit II on the Vic site these days (scissors - a must for me in a MT - and a 'normal', not serrated, blade)

For an 18th you want something pretty special - And I am afraid you folks above - SAKs are more everyday!!
The Spirit is very, very special - it's attractive, sexy, functional, tough and brilliantly designed and top quality
I agree with everything Corwyn says above!! :)
He will treasure, but also use it, for the rest of his life.
It will certainly last that long !!

Check out Chako's excellent thread on the Swisstools
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52609.msg899131.html#msg899131

Or this one about getting blown away by Swisstools
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=55568.new#new

As for where to get it in Oz - Not sure - As mentioned above Amazon (.com and .co.uk) don't ship anything with a blade to Oz anymore
But I have used this site in the UK a few times
Shipping to Oz was fast, easy and cheap - And great prices - although he does not have the model I recommend :(
You could try the Swisstool X a oposed to teh Spirit - which comes in at a cool £69.95 - Which I guess is about $120 Oz?
http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/product.php?productid=377&cat=259&page=1

Now a Swisstool with a partner SAK (Climber?) would make a very, very nice pressie!!

Let us know what you get - We deserve to know !!  :o

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 02:19:44 PM
Having just (in the last 15 minutes) received a Spirit from the 30 day challenge from the incredibly generous gustaphosmob I can agree with everyone else extolling its virtues. It's a gift that he will remember and use forever.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline NickBose

• New User
Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 01:43:33 AM
Thanks for all the suggestion. Now I know this is the SAK subforum. But after looking at the tools recommended - bear in mind that I am a total idiot on this front - I just picked up a Leatherman Surge for my boy! I don't exactly know why, just the look? Tell me I did not make a wrong choice.
Maybe a Spirit later for yours truly :-)

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:52 AM
I don't have a Swiss Tool (yet ...  :facepalm:) but I do have a Surge, and you have in no way made a bad decision there. Plenty others will agree.

:tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 04:45:07 AM
The surge is a monster and a great tradesmans Mt ,good choice,possibly a wave next  :tu:

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 05:01:29 AM
Very good choice :D. I wish I would have started with the surge, then scaled down if I needed to for some reason.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%