Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kirk's HFT shooting blog

kirk13 · 351 · 21075

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Kirk's HFT shooting blog
Reply #60 on: December 22, 2014, 01:00:25 AM
Thanks I'm now back looking at airguns :(

I need a hobby for my jack. Since he's now got the same problem that killed his mum he can't play football, rugby or any other contact sport he loved :(

So I'm thinking that something competitive like shooting might be the answer? He's never been too good with a slingshot but seems OK with nerf guns ect, so need to look into what the law says now about 12 year olds and air rifles :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Edit for being stoopid, I'd go for HFT and an under lever springer, Something like Gareth's Weihrauch a 57? Help me obi-Kirky!

57 makes a lot of sense...Rekord trigger,lighter and more manageable than a 77/97. Gareth's one is a gem!

Phew I'm glad I got that right, lighter than an AA TX200 as well
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #61 on: December 22, 2014, 10:55:57 AM
Thanks chaps, how much do they go for typically on the second hand market if you don't mind me asking? :)

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:43 AM
Thanks I'm now back looking at airguns :(

I need a hobby for my jack. Since he's now got the same problem that killed his mum he can't play football, rugby or any other contact sport he loved :(

So I'm thinking that something competitive like shooting might be the answer? He's never been too good with a slingshot but seems OK with nerf guns ect, so need to look into what the law says now about 12 year olds and air rifles :)

Edit for being stoopid, I'd go for HFT and an under lever springer, Something like Gareth's Weihrauch a 57? Help me obi-Kirky!

57 makes a lot of sense...Rekord trigger,lighter and more manageable than a 77/97. Gareth's one is a gem!

The only thing I'd say about the 57 as a junior rife is that the reach to the trigger is quite long, so not so good if Jack has small hands.  However I have lent it to a couple of our junior members in the past and they seemed OK with it, though they did need help with cocking and with the loading port. 

Not sure if the laws are the same North and South of the border, but the basics here are that younger shooters should be supervised at all times and that they should not have unfettered access to the rifle, i.e. it must be kept locked away when not in use and they don't get a key. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #63 on: December 22, 2014, 10:58:41 AM
That's cool, sounds like the laws the same as when I was a teen starting out then :)

He has just turned 12 last weekend but he's 5'4'' already so his reach should be pretty good I think???

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: December 22, 2014, 11:15:42 AM
Thanks chaps, how much do they go for typically on the second hand market if you don't mind me asking? :)

Well, I just found one on Gunmart for £285.  Given I paid £265 for a brand new one I'd say that's not a very good deal. :facepalm:

You might also want to look at the Weihrauch HW99 and the BSA Meteor MK7 for something that's still good but a little less spendy.  The Weihrauch HW30 is a great junior rifle IMO, though perhaps not great for lanky gits like you to wrap yourself around. ;)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #65 on: December 22, 2014, 11:51:25 AM
Airgunbuyer (no connection) have them for £249, they are not complimentary about them, but Gareth's is great
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

Reply #66 on: December 22, 2014, 08:02:55 PM
Woah that's a bit out of my price bracket ATM sadly gentleman :(  But thanks for looking :tu:

Maybe I should just start him of with a cheap Gamo Delta or SMK something? I figure I can scrape £100 at a push. I might see if there's a local club so he can try before I have to buy :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: December 22, 2014, 09:53:19 PM
Woah that's a bit out of my price bracket ATM sadly gentleman :(  But thanks for looking :tu:

Maybe I should just start him of with a cheap Gamo Delta or SMK something? I figure I can scrape £100 at a push. I might see if there's a local club so he can try before I have to buy :D

1: buy him a Gamo Delta and I will do this to you :megaslap:
2: it's a really good idea to look at a local club,but if you have the choice go for one like HPRPC,where your not limited to one disipline. Also see if there's one with a Juniors program
3: Check your pm before you put your hand in your pocket
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Reply #68 on: December 22, 2014, 10:21:33 PM
Done a replied too :)

I thought the deltas were well thought off? They've been around since I was a kid after all???

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: December 22, 2014, 10:53:18 PM
I had to eat humble pie after finding a Gamo that isn't smurf...ie my PT85. I still wouldn't touch one of their long guns even if there was a sponsorship contract attached!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Reply #70 on: December 22, 2014, 11:04:12 PM
Wow you really aren't a fan are you mate :D

You know far more that I do mate :) my only reviews have come from the airgun press, and we both know how much salt you need to add to their reviews :/

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: January 01, 2015, 06:00:54 PM
I'd better get this written up before Harley has a funny(funnier?) turn...

Tony has been making up a new stock for my Ultra :ahhh

One big listen from my flirtation with Lyudmila was how useful a hamster,or palm plate is. I'd the idea of fitting a picatinny rail to the Ultra,and mounting a modified forarm grip to use as a hamster.

But Tony volunteered to make up a new stock from plywood,using the leftovers from the stocks he's made for his S200 and Brocock.

Just for comparison ,heres the Ultra in her old stock,with the regulator still fitted
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:16:48 PM by kirk13 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: January 01, 2015, 06:04:09 PM
Ooooh, that's going to look very special. :drool:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: January 01, 2015, 06:09:19 PM
The new stock follows the basic outline of the Ultras original stock,which fits me very comfortably. What the new stock does is deepen the forearm dramatically,echoing the line of a hamster.

I've been doing some fine tuning of the grip,and have started treating the stock with Teak oil ahead of this coming Sundays competition
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:20:11 PM by kirk13 »

Reply #74 on: January 01, 2015, 07:29:56 PM
That looks bloody fantastic mate! Let us know how you do on Sunday please :)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #75 on: January 01, 2015, 09:15:51 PM
That's a damn good looking stock mate and nice job Tony  :cheers:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #76 on: January 01, 2015, 09:40:12 PM
How are we 4 pages in and only have like one picture? Shame Kirky.

What scopes you running on your air rifles? Also is the a flashlight attached above one of them scopes?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: January 01, 2015, 10:03:05 PM
@Smashie: Cheers mate,I know Tony will be well chuffed!

@Harley: OK,one,I don't generally take a camera on range,mostly because I'm a techno-clod. But there's also been talk about folks having used phones and cameras as rangefinders,which are illegal in Hft,and just plain ungentlemanly!

Two,scopes... My first proper long gun was the BSA SuperSport,which has a well earned reputation for killing scopes,so I've tended to go with cheaper scopes. At the time,one of the UK online suppliers had a deal on Leapers 3-9x40 mildot units. The adjustment turrets are a but iffy,but the optics arn't bad. I bought three of them for my BSAs,on the basis that if something works,stick with it!I've never really upgraded,based on the fact that I know I've outshot people using Hawk and Viper scopes. I do have a Nikko Sterling half mildot scope kicking around,but the Leapers matched with my new glasses are doing the job!

Three: Yes,it's a LED/Lenser P7, for using on nightshoots

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #78 on: January 02, 2015, 11:23:59 AM
Do you keep the targets from your shoots?

Would love to see a target with something for scale and know what range you are shooting at. That would give me something to do when I get home and take the .22 out.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: January 02, 2015, 02:12:44 PM
there are some paper targets shown in this thread: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46761.25.html

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #80 on: January 02, 2015, 03:27:31 PM
...or you can just print a picture of Grant....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: January 02, 2015, 03:30:37 PM
Do you keep the targets from your shoots?

Would love to see a target with something for scale and know what range you are shooting at. That would give me something to do when I get home and take the .22 out.

Harley,I'll sort some pics out later when I can get to my netbook

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: January 03, 2015, 12:57:40 AM
Some random HFT pics...

Me with Lyudmila at HPRPC back in the summer

Tony taking on a 35yrd kneeler at The Oaks back in the summer. The target is the yellow dot slightly below the pylon. The target plate is about 8inchs high. The kill which you need to hit to knock the target over is 35mm,bout an inch and a quarter?

Me with the Ultra,at the Hawks,15yrd stander with 25mm kill

Hawks plinking range.Closest targets are at 8yrds,the tiny ones at the back are at 45. At 45,the kills can be as small as 30mm
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:22:02 AM by kirk13 »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: January 04, 2015, 07:45:13 AM
Hi Kirky - I've not been around much lately, but just read this entire thread and it sounds great fun. Keeps me wishing I was younger!

I'm really out of touch with modern air guns. And whilst I have the Stutzen I wouldn't dream of using her these days.
The gun I always wanted - and still pine for to this day, is the Weihrauch HW77K. How do they compare against their ultra modern counterparts. I'm guessing they're  somewhat heavy and clumsy in comparison.

But HFT sounds like great fun - the only thing that puts me off is the seemingly mandatory dress code........ camo's  :ahhh
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:51:58 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: January 06, 2015, 12:13:05 AM
Hi Kirky - I've not been around much lately, but just read this entire thread and it sounds great fun. Keeps me wishing I was younger!

I'm really out of touch with modern air guns. And whilst I have the Stutzen I wouldn't dream of using her these days.
The gun I always wanted - and still pine for to this day, is the Weihrauch HW77K. How do they compare against their ultra modern counterparts. I'm guessing they're  somewhat heavy and clumsy in comparison.

But HFT sounds like great fun - the only thing that puts me off is the seemingly mandatory dress code........ camo's  :ahhh

Hi Tosh :waving:

Camos arn't compulsary...my wet weather gear is my cycling jacket and bottoms ;)

The HW77 is still very much alive and kicking,and the 97 is basically a 77 without iron sights. Heavy? Maybe. Clumsy,no...least not if your taller than me ;)

As to age,don't let that put you off. I reckon 60% of folks doing Hft have grandkids :pok:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: February 01, 2015, 05:03:55 PM
Not to hijack Kirky's thread, but I got my first chance to shoot the full HFT course at my new club.  Given the strong gusting breeze we had I was very happy with bringing home a 43.  I'm not sure having numb fingers and toes helped any either. :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #86 on: February 01, 2015, 05:26:26 PM
What a cool thread!!!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: February 01, 2015, 08:37:27 PM
Not to hijack Kirky's thread, but I got my first chance to shoot the full HFT course at my new club.  Given the strong gusting breeze we had I was very happy with bringing home a 43.  I'm not sure having numb fingers and toes helped any either. :D

Nice one Gareth :salute:

What a cool thread!!!!!!  :cheers:

:D Cheers :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: February 01, 2015, 08:41:52 PM
I need to get my own exploits updated :facepalm:

Let me get the scores up so long

MAD,Southern Hunters-34x60
Horsham Winter League 38x60
Horsham Home Shoot 42x60
Horsham,Southern Hunters 46x60

Can't help thinking I've missed one :think:

Edit: that's it! We chickened out of Cambridge!

I'll be back after I check :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: February 03, 2015, 09:39:57 AM
I need to get my own exploits updated :facepalm:

Let me get the scores up so long

MAD,Southern Hunters-34x60
Horsham Winter League 38x60
Horsham Home Shoot 42x60
Horsham,Southern Hunters 46x60

Can't help thinking I've missed one :think:

Edit: that's it! We chickened out of Cambridge!

I'll be back after I check :whistle:

Got late notice of a night shoot at Ham last night. Second over all on 25x30. Gutted,went into last to targets tied for the lead,and donuted the last target,Martin knocked them both down.

Still,not too bad for a stubby .22 :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%