Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bike Lights

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Bike Lights
on: November 13, 2014, 01:48:10 AM
Anyone know about bike lights ???

I need a light for my new bike.

The red neck in me thinks I should just tape one of my pocket lights on my handlebars but the little I know about lights make me wonder if should look into what is available. Lights have come a long long long way since my last bike light I bought 30 years ago

Something bright and durable for Minnesota s cold dark winter .
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:50:56 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Bike Lights
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 02:29:25 AM
Have you thought about a good headlamp instead?

I know Heinz had a sweet bike light setup.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 02:41:11 AM
or using a nite ize handleband to hold one of your lights to the stem maybe?

http://www.niteize.com/product/HandleBand.asp
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 02:42:21 AM
Dont know much about current technology but please get a flashing rear light as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 02:51:22 AM
Sorry, I'm foolish. Nite ize makes a specific flashlight mount :facepalm:

http://www.niteize.com/product/Lite-Ride-Gear-Tie.asp

I may have to get one now

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 03:18:53 AM
Have you thought about a good headlamp instead?

I know Heinz had a sweet bike light setup.

My olight S10 clips to my cap And it's gotten me by so far.  : :cheers:

I don't need many more excuses to get a zebralight H 52 or a cr123 zebralight thanks captain.   :tu:

I just would like more power and I think a light that is fixed to my handlebars might work better for watching the road.

Tail light ?   :doh:  do i really need one

I do ride on the road a little.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:42:04 AM
Sorry, I'm foolish. Nite ize makes a specific flashlight mount :facepalm:

http://www.niteize.com/product/Lite-Ride-Gear-Tie.asp

I may have to get one now

Thanks Higgins617

This niteize bar mount is just what I need.

I like that it comes off easy, that it can be a mount for my light to hang or stand for a work light,  the price is right for me to.

Thanks again for posting it  :tu:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:53:29 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 03:44:23 AM
or using a nite ize handleband to hold one of your lights to the stem maybe?

http://www.niteize.com/product/HandleBand.asp

This is pretty cool also.

they must know about us. It's a bottle opener too :tu:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:50:57 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 03:49:39 AM
No worries buddy, just doing my part to enable! >:D If you need anyone to push needless bike bling on you, I'm your man! Glad you got a new ride.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 03:52:40 AM
No worries buddy, just doing my part to enable! >:D If you need anyone to push needless bike bling on you, I'm your man! Glad you got a new ride.

I'm glad you're here.

I got a lot to learn about  bike's and the gear I'm going to need.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 03:54:57 AM
Dont know much about current technology but please get a flashing rear light as well.   

Seriously do i need one to be legal for night rides.

I don't think I do but it's probably safer.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:40 AM
I don't believe it to be required by law, though reflectors may be. But if you plan to do a lot of night riding I think it would be a good plan. I try to avoid it if I can, cars and bikes as a combo spook me out.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 04:25:17 AM

Here it is, you even have to wear a reflective vest or a piece of clothing that has reflective strips on it if you ride at night. And for road safety it's VERY important for car drivers to see you and they usually come from behind so a rear red light is a must for me. N8thing too bright, just a few lumens blinker you can get for under 5 bucks.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 07:35:44 AM
I use a variety of bike clamps, some cheap some not so cheap, to attach my regular light to the bike.

The most solid one I have is the Fenix AF02 (I have a couple). http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52306.msg895484.html#msg895484

You can buy some no-brand models for $2 but it is worth spending the $9 for the Fenix as it is really solid and accomodates a variety of light sizes.

The problem you have is the compromise between brightness and operating time, so you need to decide how long you will need to have the light on, maximum, between charges. Also, what batteries you want to use.
You also need to decide if you want flood or throw, or both (e.g. use a light that produces both or use two lights)

Most modern, Cree, LED lights should be a lot brighter than any of the older, 5-10Lm, lights we used to have. Even with the smaller ones, you will be looking at 80+Lm and the bigger ones should give you 500+Lm.  With these you are also blinding people, by the way. A well regulated ligh from Fenix, Jetbeam etc. should give you 200+Lm for an hour, in a small package and with standard type batteries. (Have a look in the review and the gadget section here fo battery and light information)

Hou can also use a headlamp, if it fits on or around your helmet.
Dedicated bike lights sometimes come with some hard to replace battery packs..

For the rear I just use some red cheap blinking lights, the ones you can buy in any bike shop, that come with their own clamp.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 08:31:19 AM
Please don't use a headlamp, the only thing that does is point in the wrong place at the wrong time, blinding people riding in the other direction, annoying and dangerous.

I also don't recommend using a flashlight, as the beam is very narrow. A wide beam makes you much more visible when coming up a crossing for traffic coming from the sides. So, even a cheap bike-light is better than a flashlight.

Plenty to choose from: DX
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:36 AM
I'd recommend a Twofish Lockblock (http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html) to hold your flashlight although, as Etherealicer says, flashlights aren't ideal for cycling as they put lots of light where you don't want it.

The Germans tend to make the best bikelights, with lots of light down on the road and a horizontal cutoff that prevents oncoming vehicles being dazzled.  Busch and Muller are particularly good.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 12:02:00 PM
I liked what i have seen on a MTB some months ago. 2 brackets with 2 flashlights:

- One was a not to bright flooder, that made the known spot of light directly in front of the bike, to drive the city without blinding other people.

- The other was a thrower, to use where no other people could be blinded. Great for checking the distance for stuff that could get in the way.

He said he only clips the thrower on when he knows he will ride outside, be it on small woodtrails, or on not lighted smaller roads between cities, ...... Other than that the thrower was enough for most uses.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 12:36:19 PM
I'm using a Cree XLM bike light that was under $20. Very bight and has 4 modes depending on how much light you need.  I also bought the wide angle lense for it.

CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KUXRAW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_mIgzub01PC2HQ

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 04:30:15 PM

Reflective clothing, bike reflectors, lights and anything else to make you better visible to vehicles may be law where you live.  You definiltly want to be safe first and foremost and stay within the laws. 

The are many options for lighting on your bike, it has been sometime since I've ridden but even then a rear red flashing light reflective clothing was a must for me. 

BE safe out there buddy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 05:08:44 PM
I'm going to order some niteize stuff to cover my lighting needs.

They seem to be the most affordable.

Thanks everyone  :tu:
Defend the Hive!!!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 09:07:39 PM
I liked what i have seen on a MTB some months ago. 2 brackets with 2 flashlights:

- One was a not to bright flooder, that made the known spot of light directly in front of the bike, to drive the city without blinding other people.

- The other was a thrower, to use where no other people could be blinded. Great for checking the distance for stuff that could get in the way.

He said he only clips the thrower on when he knows he will ride outside, be it on small woodtrails, or on not lighted smaller roads between cities, ...... Other than that the thrower was enough for most uses.

I like having the thrower as a defensive / safety aid.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 10:00:30 AM
I've had a Fenix BC30 on my bike for about a week now, and it's been outstanding. I'm running it on a pair of AW 18650-3400's I have. I've run it consistently at medium (200L) and high (500L) for a good couple of hours nearly every night this week, and the battery indicator has yet to show anything but green.

I also have a Zebralight H600w on my helmet, mounted with twofish blocks. I've posted about that in the Outdoors forum.

I will heartily disagree with Etherealicer on the headlamp; by all means, if you have one you can use, then use it. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Having a headlamp on your helmet lets you look into turns allowing you to better anticipate what is up ahead of you and plan accordingly. In combination with a handlebar mounted light you get much, MUCH better visibility in terms of what you can see. Also, two lights make you easier to see than one. I rarely have any issue with people flashing their high beams at me unless I'm running my H600w at max (1020L). When approaching other cyclists or pedestrians on the bike path, I simply turn my head just a slight bit so the beam isn't shining right at them, and it's not usually a problem.

Also, headlamps on bicycle helmets are hardly a problem. When people drive they stare pretty much straight into dozens of lights that are far brighter than even a high output light like my h600w... complaining about having a bike light coming at you with all the other car lights around, is a bit like complaining that it's raining when you're swimming; nit-picky nonsense.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 03:45:18 AM
I just duct tape an led light to my bike if I need a quick trip to Allsups at night for milk

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 06:14:51 AM
That won't work here. It's dark most of the time.
Defend the Hive!!!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 11:34:15 AM
I used to live over the road from a bike track in the forest. People would ride at night there wearing those really bright lights with battery packs on their backs  (I think). When I drove past the entrance at night and they were congregating there they would look in my direction and blind the hell out of me.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 05:33:36 PM
Sorry, but I'm not a fan of cyclists using bright headlamps either.  Car lights are pointed at THE ROAD, not straight into the eyes of oncomimg drivers; this makes all the difference.  If folks don't believe this is true then turn on your headlamp at night walk 20 feet away, stare into it for a couple of seconds and then look away.  If you can honestly say it's not affected your vision then feel free to wear it. :)  If, however, you find you have spots in your eyes, then please don't wear it on the road.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 06:49:33 PM
Sorry, but I'm not a fan of cyclists using bright headlamps either.  Car lights are pointed at THE ROAD, not straight into the eyes of oncomimg drivers; this makes all the difference.  If folks don't believe this is true then turn on your headlamp at night walk 20 feet away, stare into it for a couple of seconds and then look away.  If you can honestly say it's not affected your vision then feel free to wear it. :)  If, however, you find you have spots in your eyes, then please don't wear it on the road.
True enough, but roads aren't totally smooth; headlights move up and down, and you still get them in face. Different cars have lights at different heights; you still get them in the face. And besides, who's reaction is it to head *toward* a really bright light coming at them? Still a better safety feature than a hindrance, in my opinion, but at the same time, most people here don't not own a motor vehicle and rely on their bike for 98% of their transportation, as I do. I also doubt most members here ride both in extremely congested urban traffic while commuting (downtown San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland), AND on unlit rural roads miles in the hills. Here in the Bay Area we have both and a typical ride home for me is usually a minimum of 20 miles in both types of conditions. In downtown SF being seen means staying alive, and if I have to intentionally blind someone to keep them from running a red light so they don't mow me down, so be it.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 11:07:10 PM
True enough, but roads aren't totally smooth; headlights move up and down, and you still get them in face. Different cars have lights at different heights; you still get them in the face. And besides, who's reaction is it to head *toward* a really bright light coming at them? Still a better safety feature than a hindrance, in my opinion, but at the same time, most people here don't not own a motor vehicle and rely on their bike for 98% of their transportation, as I do. I also doubt most members here ride both in extremely congested urban traffic while commuting (downtown San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland), AND on unlit rural roads miles in the hills. Here in the Bay Area we have both and a typical ride home for me is usually a minimum of 20 miles in both types of conditions. In downtown SF being seen means staying alive, and if I have to intentionally blind someone to keep them from running a red light so they don't mow me down, so be it.

Sorry Heinz, perhaps I'm reading you wrong, but are you saying that just because it might only be dangerous to the driver and not the cyclist, it's OK to distract the oncoming driver?

I take your point that in remote and unlit areas that a good headlamp is a boon, but using it to deliberately blind someone is a concept I just can't get behind. :shrug:  Could you not mount a good air-horn to your bike if you feel you need to make your presence known?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 11:50:13 PM

Sorry Heinz, perhaps I'm reading you wrong, but are you saying that just because it might only be dangerous to the driver and not the cyclist, it's OK to distract the oncoming driver?

I take your point that in remote and unlit areas that a good headlamp is a boon, but using it to deliberately blind someone is a concept I just can't get behind. :shrug:  Could you not mount a good air-horn to your bike if you feel you need to make your presence known?

The phenomenon of "Target fixation".  It's why skiiers ski into the only tree on the slope.  Our unconcious tendency is to steer where we're looking.  Major cause of motorcycle accidents and is often the reason runners get hit by a car when they run on the road.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 02:01:06 AM
Properly aimed car headlights will not blind oncoming drivers.  A head lamp, even at half the power shining right at you will. 

Do you really want a partially blinded driver driving towards you?  The worst he'll feel is a bump, you on the other hand...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD